• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gagging + Filling + Possible Root Canal? Awww Man!

M

MrKuro

I have a gagging problem that makes it terrible for me to get dental work done. I mean its so bad to a point where they cant x ray my back teeth without me throwing up a bit. I cant even brush my tongue its so bad. Im scared because Im going back to the dentist tomorrow to get my cavities filled and I dont want to gag. Breathing thru my nose doesnt help, it actually makes it worse. Are there any OTC meds that I can take to help relax my throat so I dont gag? Like throat sprays, anything except pills because I cant swallow a pill to save my life, and I heard pills dont work if you chew the non chewable ones, and syringes, because I heard that the doctor was going to inject it into my neck which I'm terrified of, and my mother wont let me go under general anesthesia :cry:

I cant take pills and I dont want anything injected into my neck, I just want something like a throat spray or something.

Because of this fear, Im scared of getting a filling because I've heard of it being downright hell, and when they inject me, they may not put it thru my gum, and I dont want that to happen. I am getting fillings for one tooth and if that goes okay then I'll get the other three that same day.

So, my appointments at 11am tomorrow, heres my plan to help me get thru the procedure.

Wake Up
Put Table Salt On Tongue
Go To Track Practice (7 30 to 9 30)
Skip Breakfast
Wait In Waiting Room
Put More Table Salt On
Use Throat Spray (What OTC Throat Spray Should I Use?)

Is That A Good Plan?

Also, can they give me an injection thru my arm instead of my gum? And if they HAVE to use my gum, is there anything to numb my gum beforehand? I want this to be as painless as possible.

Last edited:
I have a gagging problem that makes it terrible for me to get dental work done. I mean its so bad to a point where they cant x ray my back teeth without me throwing up a bit. I cant even brush my tongue its so bad. Im scared because Im going back to the dentist tomorrow to get my cavities filled and I dont want to gag. Breathing thru my nose doesnt help, it actually makes it worse. Are there any OTC meds that I can take to help relax my throat so I dont gag? Like throat sprays, anything except pills because I cant swallow a pill to save my life, and I heard pills dont work if you chew the non chewable ones, and syringes, because I heard that the doctor was going to inject it into my neck which I'm terrified of, and my mother wont let me go under general anesthesia :cry:

I cant take pills and I dont want anything injected into my neck, I just want something like a throat spray or something.

Because of this fear, Im scared of getting a filling because I've heard of it being downright hell, and when they inject me, they may not put it thru my gum, and I dont want that to happen. I am getting fillings for one tooth and if that goes okay then I'll get the other three that same day.

So, my appointments at 11am tomorrow, heres my plan to help me get thru the procedure.

Wake Up
Put Table Salt On Tongue
Go To Track Practice (7 30 to 9 30)
Skip Breakfast
Wait In Waiting Room
Put More Table Salt On
Use Throat Spray (What OTC Throat Spray Should I Use?)

Is That A Good Plan?

Also, can they give me an injection thru my arm instead of my gum? And if they HAVE to use my gum, is there anything to numb my gum beforehand? I want this to be as painless as possible.
I'm so bad at gagging that I don't think I've ever had a x-ray at the back.

One thing I would definitely say is: DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST. This will make you feel worse as you might start feeling giddy, especially if you go into panic mode.

OK, don't have a heavy breakfast, but you must at least have some bread or something light.

I've never tried any sprays. My tip is is to jiggle your feet around and try hard to think of something else. Start counting down your top 10 films, football players, TV programmes - anything to divert your mind.

You'll get through it though. It will be much quicker than you think. Tell the dentist of your fears and they'll give you a break when you want. They may even 'countdown' how long the treatment will take - mine did that last time.

I agree...don't skip breakfast. I remember once I did that for something else (for fear of vomiting) and I ended up almost passing out from low sugar.

I have heard that as long as you clench your stomach muscles, you will not gag. It does seem to work for me. (Besides, you will get that ab six pack at the least with the workout. ;D )

I agree...don't skip breakfast. I remember once I did that for something else (for fear of vomiting) and I ended up almost passing out from low sugar.

I have heard that as long as you clench your stomach muscles, you will not gag. It does seem to work for me. (Besides, you will get that ab six pack at the least with the workout. ;D )
That happened to me at the dentists once when I decided to give breakfast a miss. I ended up having to drink a sugary drink while still at the dentist to get my energy back.

What I do, as dumb as it sounds is I try to close my throat and pull my tonge back. I take Halcion before I have treatments done and that really relaxes me and I never seem to have a problem. The pills are tiny, very tiny. Mine are a little smaller then a tic tack but thinner then one. Hope this helps.

I agree with LittleS - don't skip breakfast. I have never had a problem with gagging, thankfully. If I need any treatment that involves drilling I always take a mp3 player with me with a relaxation cd, I find this drowns out the noise and helps me relax. Perhaps if you breathe through your nose it may help with your gg reflex.

Back