• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is anyone as bad as me???

M

molly29

Hi

I have come across this site in utter despair and dont know which way to turn...... if there is anyone similar to either support me or anyone who has been in my situation PLEASE contact me with how you recovered your phobia or at least gained treatment??

When I was 15 I had a hole in my back tooth wchich I was too scared to have filled due to my bad experience when I was 7 at a dentist in Manchester. Said hole lead to infection and an abcess. I was referred to a local hospital where I swore never ever to return to a dentist again after I begged the dentist not to touch my sore tooth with any dental utensil, to which I was ignored and he proceeded to insert the metal probe directly into the cavity.....................my dad could hear my blood curdling scream from the other oend of the corridor! After alot of persuasion I was put under GA and the tooth was removed.

I didnt go to the dentist again for quite some time, approx 4 years when a friend of mine referred a lovely dentist to me who was a friend of his. He was lovely and very patient with me but there was nothing he could do for me as I was just to terrified to let him near me. He then referred me to an IV sedation clinic where I was treated very successfully in the first instance.

I then had to go back having started with another abcess and knowing I needed extensive work:cry: as xrays showed the decay and infection had spread into my jaw bone, I was terrified beyond belief but I thought I would be fine for the treatment, again under IV sedation but No!!
I had full sedation to the absolute maximum they could give but I was still untreatable and they refused as a result to proceed any further as I was too hostile for them to deal with!!

And that was that, 6 years ago I was sent away from said clinic, still petrified beyond belief, still in pain, still desperately needing treatment and not registered with an NHS dentist as there was no point!! They told me to see my GP who would send a letter to a local dental hospital and have the tooth removed under GA, I didnt just want the tooth removing, I needed extensive treatment for pettys sake!! To date I am still waiting to see someone, I have trawled the internet time after time trying to find a cure for someone as terrified as I am but nothing is available without me winning the lottery first!

I have spent all Xmas in agony as unable to get to my GP for antibiotics to clear the abcess. I am now at breaking point, I never smile as I HATE my teeth, my self esteem is at rock bottom, I hate myself so much for having this what I can only describe as a disease as my fear is so strong I just want to give up on life!! It seems there is no-one outthere who can help me and I just cant carry on!!! Please I am desperate, if there is anyone who can help,, PLEASE contact me as a matter of urgency.

Hi Molly

I just wanted to reply to let you know that someone has read your post, and does understand how you feel. I am fairly new around here and I am sure that more experienced posters will be along soon.

Like you it is bad childhood experiences that has brought on my dental phobia, and again like you I have felt that I would like to give up on life, but there will be a way out of this.

In your post you say that it was six years ago that you were going to be referred to the dental hospital to have your tooth out. Since then (April 2006) the provision on dental services is the responsibility of the local PCT. In my area they have set up a community dental service at the local hospital that carries out treatment under general anaesthsetic if necessary, my GP was going to refer me if necessary. I know each area varies in its provision of services and in some areas it is poor, but it is probably worth going to see your GP and having a talk about what is now available in your area.

Thinking of you

Holly

Hi Molly

I too am "just as bad as you". I managed to get treatment (after loads valium)having avoiding dentists for over 15 years! The actual treatment (though not pleasant) was not as bad as my experiences when I was young.
As I don't work (or claim benefits!) I am trying to find a sympathetic NHS dentist or if I can get a referal through my GP the hospital to have the rest of my treatment done as I am simplytoo terrified to return. Just the thought of my teeth being touched by that metal tool sends me into hysterics.
So you are NOT the only one, we all support each other and IF anyone:welcome: can offer encouragement its so much appreciated.
I think dental phobics are very misunderstood as its a really terrifying thing to suffer from. I would rather have any other procedure than even having my teeth touched!!

Best wishes

Hey molly,

The last time I had a treatment as a child was when I was 12, when I had a root canal. It was a HORRIBLE experience that I didnt go back for 14 years. Believe it or not, dental technology has changes tremendously. I recently went back for treatments and my experience was TOTALLY different. There are many new ways to make dentistry painless. You should research into a a dentist that studied sedation dentistry and ask for valium. It REALLY helped me!! It calms you down before the appointment, and by the time you leave, you don't remember any of the prodecure. :) You will go home sleeping like a baby. :)

Back