• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do you handle the laughter and teasing?

C

cerberus13

I finally got enough courage to go, but I was completely alone (save the good people on this forum.) Anyone I've ever told about my problem repiled with "you're being stupid, just go, I"M able to go, so you should go too!" I even got people mimiking me with fake tears and sacrasctically asking if theyd like me to have them come in and hold my hand. These are loved ones mind you, not casual friends. Needless to say, this treatment almost stopped me from going as even a last minute phone call was met with a very sarcastic "good luck!"

I got the dental part out of the way with an incredible amount of no sleeping, pacing and worrying. However, the reaction I got to my problem has me worried. IS this a stupid problem to most people. Has anyone else been pushed to "just go" ? If so, how did you handle it....during and after the fact? Was anyone able to make people more understanding? These are people I will have to face again. Thanks for the help.

Phobias probably sound silly to other people because they don't understand how someone could be afraid of it. Like if you saw someone else phobic about spiders and started crying if one was brought near them. It would sound stupid to other people even though they are realistically afraid of them.

hope this helps

You know what I do? I turn their fears around at them. If they make fun of my fears of doctors and dentists, then I make fun of their fears. For example, I have a friend who is afraid of heights. When she makes fun of my phobias, I turn around and say, "At least I'm not afraid of some stupid bridge." or "At least I can get past the first few steps on a ladder." It makes them realize that everyone is scared of something. They have no right to make fun of you for your fear, but if they do, you know the saying, "an eye for an eye". Make them eat their words.

I know with me, I actually worked in a dental office and I still get my work done there and because of my fears them joking with me makes me feel better, now when I am having a pain or something and my husband rolls his eyes or breaths heavy(like saying here we go again), it really pisses me off, but finally I blew up at him and he doenst do that anymore. So I can see your side of it. I always take medince when I go, I take Halcion and I dont have a problem, I just worry about all the what if's afterwards. You really should look into taking Halcion, its heaven sent. I have had 2 rcts and fillings and crowns and recently a extraction and Yes, I freaked out before each appt but it was all for nothing. I have an appt tomm. for 2 crowns, and I am beside myself with fear, NOT because of the actual appt but for when the numbness wears off, what if I have a toothache - I hope this helps.

Thankyou so much for the replies. They kind of put things into persepective, I guess it would be hard to accept a grown adult crying over a spider, or someone not wanting to climb a ladder (from my point of view.) I guess I just felt bad reading how a lot of people on here had someone to help them out with their phobia, and my support group made fun of me. My (still young) mom's exact words were "A 30 year old man afraid of the dentist is just sad, it would be cute if you were 5!" I know she didn;t understand my situation, but it still stings. That said, the only people who know of my little problem are my parents...friends, I may turn their fears on them (If i knew them) but my parents...never.

Back