• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad Sedation, and blindfolds, BEWARE.

B

bluesuew

I changed my dentist last spring, as my old dentist didn't do anything to my teeth, only used camfill to sort out the decay, even for a major problem, such as abscesses, if I requested a few times to be sent to the sedation clinic, he would refer me to town, where I never had any trouble with them sedating me.

I decided that I needed some serious work, so I went to my new dentist, and again she refered me to a sedation clinic at Haymans Green Liverpool, so I had a complete examination, and was told I need 6 teeth out, so I went to get the first 2 teeth out, which I got the first IV sedation, they did blind fold me when I was so called unaware, then I was just aware of the pain of the needle in my mouth, so I yelled, then I wasn't aware of much after that, which was far too late for me, knowing that I hate anything sharp in my mouth, because it hurts like hell, a new fresh abscess is less painful to me, than a nasty needle, for goodness sake, I can't even eat pilchards, because of the fine bones, that I missed plucking from the fish.

Then on the 4th December 08, I had another sedation planned for that afternoon, I was a lot more apprehensive, knowing things will not go to plan, sure enough they put the sedation in, blind fold went on, and again I was aware of my surroundings, then they staked me with that dreaded needle, I threw my head back and yelled, badly bruised and sore, without any teeth taken away, I have now been deamed too dangerous to have a sedation, no thanks to them, and they are refering me to the dental hospital, for a complete general anaesthetic, obviously they either are not giving me enough, the sedation is not actually affective to some people, or they are actually holding back, and blaming the patient for there mistakes.

I did get home safely, thanks to my friend, a few minutes after I got home, I felt normal enough to drive, I didn't, I made myself a coffee, and waited for it to cool, as my mouth was numb, my other friend rang to see how I got on, so I told her what happened, she told me I would be better off being seen by the hospital, because they will consider my problems, but I'm even more apprehensive now, as that was where my needle phobia started, getting 5 wisdom teeth out, I felt like I was hit by a hammer at least 20 times, and I wish they finished the job.

Now that you are going to a hosptial they may actually know what they are doing. I would call ahead and see if you can get some medication to relax BEFORE you get there, like Halcion. Good luck and relax, the more stressed you are the more adrenalin your gonna have and that could interfer with your sedation level.

Halcion gave me my best dental experience ever. I was completly out of it before i even got to the dentist. I had to be helped in to the office or I would have fallen over. I remember almost nothing about that day. I would only ever go the route of sleep dentistry with halcion if I could find an affordable dentist that practices that.

I suspected that it might be adrenalin, but they should have put that in consideration, and made sure I wasn't aware, it's funny I did go to another clinic aware of the stress I was under, and never had a problem being sedated, they did deal with a lot of problem cases like me. I thought it was strange that they use blindfolds, especially when when you shouldn't be aware of anything, such as awarness of pain, sound, light, smell and so on.

As for the hospital, they may chat to me first, then find the best way to deal with me, if the old clinic can deal with me without any problems, they can, just a pity they caused more pain.

Thank you for your suggestions, and I will take them under consideration, and act on it, as I don't want another replay.

I will write again, to tell you how I got on, despite of feeling nervious, thinking of it.

Now that you are going to a hosptial they may actually know what they are doing. I would call ahead and see if you can get some medication to relax BEFORE you get there, like Halcion. Good luck and relax, the more stressed you are the more adrenalin your gonna have and that could interfer with your sedation level.

I know how hard it is not to worry- its not like we have a switch to just pull but just try as hard as you can to not worry. Make sure you call BEFORE you go to the appt to see if they can give you something because once you get there its too late. I am telling you the Halcion is heven sent. They only give me 3 at a time. I take one the night before and 2 1 hr before my appt. In fact I had a appt on New Years eve for 2 crowns on the lower left back molars and when I got there I told him about another tooth I just wanted xrayed to see if there was anything wrong with it and I dont remember crap except that the tooth that was bothereing me is now crowned. I used to work at my dentist office so I trust them and now I have another appt on the 28th to get the other 2 crowns and to get the permante crown on #4. My tooth ened up being cracked. I had to call back to the office to find out what happened cause when u take halcion you can talk and answer questions but you dont remember anything but bits and pieces(if that). Good luck and TRY to relax a little.

I had sedation today and they also used a blindfold. Is this common practice?

No that doesn't sound like common practice at all :confused: (unless you had requested a blindfold?)... you mean an actual blindfold, rather than just protective glasses or similar?

Yes it was an actual blindfold. I didn't request it just thought it must be common practice.:o

As a layperson, I would have thought that whoever monitors your state of sedation would want to see your eyes to see how you're doing :confused:. Maybe you could ask this question in the dentistry questions section - I'd be curious to find out about this blindfold issue now (never had come across this before!)

Back