• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to Death!! Hole in my Tooth!

C

Chefcheech

So, in my situation I thought I would look around a bit for some insight as to how go about it. I found this site and thought it was awesome so here is my sob story.

I have been terrified of the dentist ever since I can remember. Its not just the drill, the environment, etc but EVERYTHING. Even the SMELL of the waiting room can get me anxious as shit and make me wanna leave and cry (I am a 24 year old Chef and my life is in the kitchen, so cuts, burns, etc dont scare me). The last time I went was when I was 18 and about to go to culinary school, and thats the last time I EVER went.

I have a LARGE hole/cavity on the back of my last upper left molar that started out as a tiny tiny one. Needless to say, I have left it untouched by a professional and now it is causing me some majoy headaches as of these last 2 weeks. It doesnt hurt to touch or explore with my tongue or even put pressure on with my fingers, but man does it give me some KILLER headaches.

I have looked into pulling it myself and was even toying with the idea of getting the supplies to do it today because it made my head hurt so bad last night but after a bit of tinkering and prodding with my clean hands I realized that my tooth is REALLY in there, so I didnt.

I dont have insurance and would really like to see what you guys think as to how much it would cost to get the tooth extracted, NOT DRILLED, taken OUT. Its the least scariest to me considering I will prolly have to have a root canal (just an assumption considering the size of the cavity). I DO NOT want to have the tooth drilled in any way.

any advice for a desperate guy who really doesnt wanna go to the dentist but is too chicken to pull the tooth himself?:cry::cry::cry::cry:

First thing I would do is call the dentist and get into see him, even though you are scared to death. You may only need a filling, you never know. Whenever I go to the Dentist I take Halcion and I am telling you, you wont feel anything, think anything or care. I am sure the dentist wont just give u a percripiton with out seeing you first because its a highly addictive drug and they only give me 3 at a time so you can look into that. An extraction is permante so if it can be saved, and u have insurance , you really ought to get it fixed. I've had rootcanals, crowns, and most recently a extraction(due to the infection in root of the tooth, it had a crown and a rootcanal so there was no other option, but I had both of those done 8yrs ago). As long as I am medicated I am fine, I have tried Valuim, but it did not have the same effect that Halcion has. Good luck with whatever you choose, but you better do something before it gets worse.

First thing I would do is call the dentist and get into see him, even though you are scared to death. You may only need a filling, you never know. Whenever I go to the Dentist I take Halcion and I am telling you, you wont feel anything, think anything or care. I am sure the dentist wont just give u a percripiton with out seeing you first because its a highly addictive drug and they only give me 3 at a time so you can look into that. An extraction is permante so if it can be saved, and u have insurance , you really ought to get it fixed. I've had rootcanals, crowns, and most recently a extraction(due to the infection in root of the tooth, it had a crown and a rootcanal so there was no other option, but I had both of those done 8yrs ago). As long as I am medicated I am fine, I have tried Valuim, but it did not have the same effect that Halcion has. Good luck with whatever you choose, but you better do something before it gets worse.

thanks for the quick response

thing is, I dont have insurance..........whats the average cost JUST for the dentist to see me? Not do anything, just look at my tooth and tell me what my options are?

what u think is the average cost would be for extraction with some type of good good anethesia?

where abouts are you from?

If in the uk on the nhs by me you are looking to pay £44.90 to have it pulled out. or paying private could cost anywhere from £35 to £150, to be sedaited which is what i would do if i had to have one pulled out would be £100 private.
Just to get seen by the dentist for a check up would cost £16.90 where im from

If your in another counrty then i can not help you out there sorry

good luck with what u do

As far as the cost goes, it depends on where u live. I had one pulled a few months ago and it was 2hundred something. You can call around and ask how much a simple extraction would be. You can also call dental schools in your area, they either do the work free or really, really cheap. Keep us posted. Good luck.

As far as the cost goes, it depends on where u live. I had one pulled a few months ago and it was 2hundred something. You can call around and ask how much a simple extraction would be. You can also call dental schools in your area, they either do the work free or really, really cheap. Keep us posted. Good luck.

i live in orange county, ca im hating life right now!!

Have you called anywhere yet?? You really need to, just bite the bullet and do it. I promise you will feel so much better. You can talk to the office manager at the office and see if you can set up a payment plan. Even if you give them post dated checks, and pay 25 a week. If your 100% sure you want it taken out, then call a dentist and ask how much a simple extraction is tell them what tooth and go from there. Pick up the phone and call now!! Good luck

Don't do it yourself! Boy, that brings back images of that Castaway movie with Tom Hanks *shrudder* I didn't have insurance when my wisdom broke was causing pain and needed to get removed back last Feb. I'm up here in WA state and it cost about $200. Unfortunately I don't know how much a regular emergency visit is (just to look at the tooth and take an xray) but I"m thinking $95? (based on my one that insurance did cover)

You might want to look into saving it though, since it is a chewing tooth! I HATE the sound of the drill as well, but...... but what can I say? Hindsight is 20/20 and if I had known then what I know now, I don't think I would have waited so long to go to the dentist, despite my fears.

Either way, I don't think you are chicken for not being able to pull it yourself, I'd call that SMART! good luck, and let us know how it goes

Don't do it yourself! Boy, that brings back images of that Castaway movie with Tom Hanks *shrudder*
haha, that what I keep thinking about I will call around today or 2mor, for me and my phobida, extraction is the only thing possible

Back