• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to death of wisdom teeth extraction in 2 days

F

flipflopmom

Hello, I just found this wonderful website! Thank you for this great site! I am posting because I am absolutely terrified of getting my wisdom teeth out. I am scheduled to finally do it this Friday. I am 42 years old and have scheduled and cancelled this 3 times in my twenties. I can no longer post-pone this as I keep get recurring infections around my bottom left wisdom tooth. My dentist will no longer prescribe antibiotics, saying enough is enough.
So, I saw an oral surgeon and on Friday I will take a valium one hour before the procedure. At the office I will be numbed up and given Nitreous Oxide. I have a tendency for high blood pressure and when I had my consultation it was through the roof. He did tell me that if between the valium and the laughing gas, if it is still through the roof he won't do it. I don't want that to happen. I can't go through this again. I must keep my blood pressure under control!
Anyway, all four teeth are through the bone. The top teeth are completely exposed and fully in, and the bottoms ones you can see 3/4 of each tooth, with just a tiny gum flap over a quarter. I've been told by both my dentist and this oral surgeon they look like simple extractions. None are impacted.

Please, please reassure me that I will be okay. I am so afraid of being in horrid pain, unable to work or care for my daughter (she is 9), of getting dry sockets, etc. I am taking Friday off (the day of the surgery) but really hoping to be able to go back to work on Monday. I have a desk job, so nothing very physically strenuos.

Should I mention, that in generaly, I have ALWAYS had a horrid fear of dentists and any form of dental procedures.:o:o

Any words of assurance or "wisdom" out there?

Thanks!

No words of advice yet. I am getting 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled on Friday as well. I am being told the same thing by my dentist. I just can't put it off any longer. I have put it off for 8 years! This site has really helped me. As I talk to friends and co workers everyone tells me that they went in,
fell asleep and next thing they know it is all over! This is what I am being told. Hope it pans out. I have been crying, venting, obsessing! I think the nerves are going to be worse than having them pulled. And remember when they pull the tooth they pull the nerve! IE: NO sharp pain! Just achey afterwords. This is what I have been told by about 10 different people. Yes I have cornered everyone! So we can share stories. Thank God for this web site!:thumbsup:

If they are simple extractions, then I can promise you that they will be out in minutes. I had three wisdom teeth taken out in September and October.

Two on the top and one on the bottom.

The two top teeth came out in literally two minutes. I kid you not. The actual numbing took six times as long.

The bottom tooth took maybe five.

All teeth were showing. The bottom tooth was broken so it took longer.

I have said before and I will say it again. I would rather have an extraction than a filling or root canal.

You will be amazed at how easy the teeth come out.

And BTW, save the teeth as a reminder of how far you have come.

I had wisdom teeth surgery with Valium only. It was no big deal, the pills calmed me down enough to have the operation. So even if you couldn't have nitrous, you'll be fine.

I had a total of 13 teeth extracted a few months ago (4 of which were wisdom teeth) and I can honestly say that afterwards I wasn't in any pain, just an ache, I took pain killers regularly and had no problems.

I hadn't slept well for years because of the constant pain and worry and for the month before my extractions I just dozed so when I got back from the dentist I slept for a good few hours followed by a good nights sleep.
Your daughter is old enough to understand that you need a couple of days peace and quiet - a chance to watch those video's she had for christmas!

The feeling after is unbelievable, no more constant pain, no more antibiotics, no more worry - just relief, a huge weight taken off of your shoulders.
My daughter says it's like having the same Mum but a happier one - she is so right.

You will be absolutely fine, concentrate on the benefits and remember .... there is nothing to fear except fear itself.

:)

You and me went in today! How did it go for you? I can't believe it, it was nothing! Tell me how you did. I hope everything went well. Let me know!:cheers:

Unfortunately mind did not go so well. My blood pressure was sky high, so the oral surgeon decided to just do the bottoms ones, as he didn't want to give me too much novecaine, which can raise the blood pressure. They then ran into major complications taking out the first one (the one I've had all the problems with) and it took over an hour (after the numbing time) to get the one out. He had to call in a second surgeon and at one point 3 people were working on it at one time. Turns out part of a root was touching my jaw nerve, which caused intense, intense pain. Due to it being such a difficult extraction they decided not to do the other bottom one at the same time. SO the bad news is that I have to go though this again, at least once more. The surgeon wants this extraction to totally heal, though, before we do any more. He won't put me under unless I go to a surgical center so I have to decide whether to try it agian with just the Nitreous oxide, or go the route of the surgical center.
I'm in a lot of pain, so can't imagine if I'd had all four out, yet on the other hand, hate the fact that I'm going to have to go through this again.

I am SO glad all went well for you! :)

Unfortunately mind did not go so well.

At least they did the extraction. I whet in to have a lower jaw tooth pulled and all my life I have had what they call an allerting reaction (white coat) to the taking of BP in Dr.'s office. Mine was too high on all 6 times they took in one time right after another. So was sent home without the extraction. This doctor did not seem to understand that BP in some people can be very reactive to emotion and stress. So have talked to some offices who say taking valium before BP might lower the reading. Will need to find another doctor who will work with me........the one I went to said go the the hospital emergency room your about to have a stroke. Boy would not listen to my individual situation at all. I do understand his not wanting a legal situation.

Back