Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need root canal work?

Default Do I really need root canal work?

Hi I found this forum after searching the web due to anxiety about the dentist telling me I need root canal work.

I had a crown fitted to my very back upper tooth 18 months ago, not due to pain but because the back of the tooth had worn down an filling wouldnt stick to it so everytime I ate food got stuck in between my teeth causing my gum to become sore. The dentist didnt do any root canal work as she said it wasnt needed.

Over the Xmas period my crown came away and the tooth was sensitive as you would expect but just for a second when I drank hot or cold drinks, I went to the dentist an she said that there was some decay on the tooth (I was not amused as no one had explained that you can still get tooth decay under a crown and I had paid £300 for a white crown) she took an xray and said that I had slight infection on the root and would need root canal treatment or an extraction and worse apparently I have extremely curved roots which will make both procedures difficult

The thing that I am having problems accepting is that I have had no pain at all, it doesnt hurt to cheq food or bite down on it, I dont have any swelling and now I have had a temporary filling I have no sensitivity, when she tapped the tooth really hard there was no pain or any form of discomfort and I have no probelms cleaning the tooth so I am wondering why I cant have a filling, antibiotics for the slight infection and then a new crown fitted especially as I have read that treating curved roots is likely to end up with an extraction anyway

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you

Default Re: Do I really need root canal work?

Well I just had another sleepless night worrying about this stupid tooth, I was really hoping to see a load of replies saying it sounds like I dont need any root canal work done

Quote Originally Posted by annie778 View Post
      antibiotics and a filling won't cure the infection. You need root treatment for that.

But surely if there is an infection I would have some kind of symptom

You have two choices...extraction or root canal.

The extraction is probably easiest, but the root canal may be the best for the long term. It would also be cheapest in the long term if you ever consider putting an implant in.

As for difficulty with curved roots, it may be more difficult, but that does not mean it is extremely difficult. I had an extraction with curved roots and the tooth was broken off. Instead of taking two minutes to take out, it took four. Big deal.

If you do a root canal, then I don't think you will find the difficulty of the procedure much more difficult than that of a filling. It just takes longer.

The procedure is simply really. The dentist cleans out the root and then fills it up with something else. In a filling, he drills a hole and fills it.

I think you will find that once it is over, it will be much easier than expected. The most difficult part now is the waiting.

Well my fear has started to turn to anger now - I am convinced that there was a problem with the fitting of the crown as the surrounding gum has become tender 3 times in the 18 months that I had it and each time the dentist cleaned the area and it got better.

The problem I have is my dentist who fitted the crown is on maternity leave and her sister is her stand in, when I asked why the decay had got there she said that this can just happen but thinking about it, how can it happen unless it was a bad job.

I have also read that dentists should never diagnose root canal just on xray alone, arggg I am so confused, I have one week to go until I am supposed to have root treatment and I am really not sure I trust the dentist now.

I have been looking at a list of NHS dentists in my area and do not have a clue which one to pick!!

I was never given any cleaning instructions when I had the crown, but have always flossed around and brushed the crown twice a day.

I have called my dentist to say I am unhappy and waiting for her to call me back, I have also called several oher dentists I can be seen by one on Friday but have been told that my dentist may de-register me is I do this my children like our dentist and I am worried now that we may be asked to leave.

I cant stop shaking, feel sick and have a bad stomach today thats just thinking about talking to the dentist what on earth will I be like by next Tuesday when i am supposed to have the root work started, what makes it harder is not having any pain as I dont feel like I really need anything done.

You're in England or Wales?

You aren't registered anywhere, registration was abolished in England when the new dental contract started in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
      You're in England or Wales?

You aren't registered anywhere, registration was abolished in England when the new dental contract started in 2007.

Oh! I am in England, I called three dentists today an they all told me I will have to register and that my own dentist will make me de-register!

I keep telling myself that it will soon be all over but it now I have convinced myself that as I have no problems with the tooth there is a possibility I may have decay under all my old fillings and that the problems are just beginning - yes a little on the irrational side I know

Well my dentist hasnt called me back yet and they close in an hour, I have got myself so worked up that I cant leave the house I know that I need to calm down but I cant.

It doesnt help that she told me that curved roots were hard to treat, my worse fear is that she starts the job an tells me she cant finish it an then puts me on a waiting list.

and now I feel like each of my posts is getting more ridiculous - im sorry I think sitting here all day worrying about nothing but teeth has driven me mad.