• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

VERRRRY Bad Experience - Need Support

C

colgatesmile

I am so glad that I found this forum & hope that you can help me. I am very scared of the dentist and have a very bad gag reflex. I have a hard time with impressions & that crazy rubber dam thing they use.

Now that there is sedation dentistry available, I use that option. :)

About a year ago, I needed a crown & asked my dentist for the sedation. He prescribed 2 Halcion pills (.,25 mg each) & 2 Ativan pills. That sounded like too much - I am pretty small. So, he agreed that I should only take 2 Halcion. I was asleep within minutes & he started my treatment. He also gave me nitrous oxide during the treatment. Well, I ended up in shock - couldn't move my hands, threw up, blood pressure went sky high & then dropped very quickly, took several hours to be coherent enough to be driven home. They gave me straight oxygen to get the nitrous out of my system. It was scary! I honestly think I would have ended up in a coma if I had taken all 4 pills. :(

For obvious reasons, I am now at a new dentist. I need a few fillings and want to do sedation again. I spoke with my old dentist & he thinks it was the nitrous that caused the problem & that I had too much - overdose. I am afraid it was the combination of Halcion with the nitrous. Who knows for sure? I have had each on their own before with no problems. :confused:

My new dentist is suggesting Ativan with no nitrous. Has anyone had that? I understand that it is rather similar to the Halcion. I want it to be strong enough, but don't want to end up in shock again. I:scared:

Thank you in advance. :)

I'm not sure what to say because I have no experiance with ativan so this link might help.

wow..... I..dont know what to say...

My doctor persribed me valium. I take one 30 minutes before my appt. It makes you a little sleepy and your aniexty disappears. It puts you in a "whatever" mood and helps you stop thinking about the pain or worries. :)

My second appointment was a little more scary, so I took one 30 mins before the appointment and I took another one when I got there.

I hope that helps..

Back