• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of sedation on monday

F

fluffyjo

I need help

I went to the dentist about 6 months ago and was told i would need 4 fillings, i decided to avoid going back as i was absolutely terrified. I have now broken one of my front teeth, it looks really awful. I have an appointment booked for tuesday and i'm really scared as i still have to have my 4 fillings aswell as having my front tooth fixed. I have been in alot of pain recently with my teeth so i know i cant avoid it any longer. Im so frightened, can anyone give me any relaxation techniques to help me. I find i'm crying and shaking at the thought of stepping inside the building. Please help me.

Re: I need help

I'm really sorry that you're feeling so scared right now. Below is a link to some techniques on relaxation from this website that might help you. Perhaps other posters know some tricks that may work,too. Under these circumstances, maybe your physician could perscribe a tranquilizer like Valium or Xanax that would take the edge off your fear and make the dental visit more comfortable for you?

I hope that you feel better soon. :XXLhug:

Have you thought of having a "safe person" take you and you get a script for a sedative to relax you before you go?

Or if you are like me and don't do meds unless you have to, it's sort of a matter of going and just getting through the best you can. I find a postive phrase or thought to repeat in my mind. something like "I am fine" or I'm almost done" or "soon this will be done" or just "I am ok" really seems to help out sometimes. I'm also always upfront with the "Dental staff. I tell them I have anxiety and I am nervous but plan to get through the visit. I also have had to take the visits in sort of shorter steps. For example I would get one tooth done in the beginning instead of two if I thought they would take too long together or if I was nervous having both sides of my mouth numbed up at the same time. It's gotten better over time and I can do the visits without as much anxiety. Also make sure there is a contact number you have on file for someone you feel comfortable with them calling just for your piece of mind. Normally I find if you cover all the bases you can feel safer and get through it.

Remember that even IF you were to panic it wouldn't hurt you, it would just be uncomfortable but you would still be safe and the body symptoms would return to normal. Breathe in and breathe SLOWLY out, that helps. My therapist tells me to try to think of being at the dentist as something like a hair appt or whatever where someone is taking care of me and making things nice. LOL that doesn't help much with the immediate anxiety but the thought of it helps a little to get a different perspective on it which is the big part of learning to see it all in a different light.

Well the appointment is getting closer and i'm an absolute wreck. Sweating and shaking, god only knows what i'll be like tomorrow morning. Im also worried that the dentist is going to tell me off for not getting my 4 fillings done 6 months ago when she first told me about them. I've been trying to talk to my husband about my fears but he doesn't understand it as he doesn't have the same fears. I think he thinks i'm crazy.I'm hoping they are going to offer me sedation so i can get all the work done at the same time, save me going back again as i dont know if i'd have the courage to keep going back again and again. Wish me luck, i will come back on here tomorrow and let you know how it goes, at least its only for an initial examination before they decide on what needs to be done. I keep trying to say in my head that this time tomorrow it will be over with. :cry:

Lots of us will be thinking about you and giving you group support whether you can see us or not. This is the worst part, and tomorrow at this time, the first appointment really will be over. :XXLhug:

Have you been able to talk through your fears with your dentist? Were they understanding and did you discuss ways of making things as easy as possible for you? If not, maybe you could use tomorrow's appointment to discuss your fears with them and see how they may be able to help you through this :grouphug:

Im also worried that the dentist is going to tell me off for not getting my 4 fillings done 6 months ago when she first told me about them.:cry:

Since you are the paying patient, what exactly would give her the right to do that?. If she does make you feel bad then she is not a good long-term dentist for you...the fact you stayed away simply demonstrates your fear and anxiety or lack of money/time.

I'm sure it will all go much better than you expect...shame your OH isn't helping though. I don't suppose he's afraid of spiders either but you might be. Actually wasps/bees are a good analogy.....a good dentist is a bee which doesn't sting unless provoked and a bad dentist is a wasp which does sting at every opportunity....does your OH like wasps/bees or would he avoid them if at all possible by say moving away if they buzzed around his sandwich?
:grouphug:

If you don't like how you are treated, then go to a different dentist..there are plenty of nice competent ones out there if you look. Stay in control..they need your consent for everything they do, you are in control but you don't realise it.

Last edited:

I have been seeing the same dentist for a number of years and she knows that i'm terrified, shes pretty good at helping me to relax and she always stops and asks how i'm feeling while she is giving me the treatment. I will definitley have a chat with her tomorrow about it. I think i've made it worse by avoiding going back, as now i have lots of problems with my teeth. I know i'll be ok once i'm there its just the thought of sitting in that waiting room, the smells and sounds make me feel on edge.

Well its drawing closer to my appointment and i dont think i'll sleep tonight through worrying so much. I tried to look up on the internet whether my dentist still offers sedation since the NHS maximum charge has been brought in but it doesn't say. So i guess i will find out tomorrow, if not perhaps they can refer me to another dentist who does offer it.

I have been seeing the same dentist for a number of years and she knows that i'm terrified, shes pretty good at helping me to relax and she always stops and asks how i'm feeling while she is giving me the treatment. I will definitley have a chat with her tomorrow about it.

That sounds like a great idea - I hope she will be able to help :). All the best for tomorrow and let us know how you got on :grouphug:

I hope your appointment goes really well for you today :thumbsup: im sure you will be fine. :grouphug:

Well i did it, i managed to pluck up the courage to go. She examined me and said i need 5 fillings and an extraction.She asked me what i wanted to do with regards to treatment, whether i wanted to make 2 or 3 appointments and have the treatment done with just local anesthetic or whether i wanted to get the whole lot done under sedation. I chose the sedation option. I asked her how much it was going to cost and she said it was £45 for the whole lot, which i was very impressed with. I had to pay for the treatment there and then, i guess thats incase i dont go back. I now have to wait for the sedation clinic to send me an appointment. All in all it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

Congratulations for having the courage to get to the appointment. I think choosing the sedation option is a good choice. I think I would do the same if I were in your shoes.

Ain't it the truth ... after the appointment is over, we tell ourselves "it wasn't that bad"! I had a dentist once who told me "what goes on in the head is much worse than what goes on in the mouth." I try to remember that sometimes when my dental fears kick in.

-L.G.

£45 sounds very reasonable indeed :thumbsup: - so that's great news! Congratulations for plucking up the courage to go :respect:!!

Well i got 2 appointments through from the sedation clinic and i have to wait until January! I cant wait that long as i'm in alot of pain from a couple of my teeth. It does say you can ring the surgery to see if there are any cancellations so i think i'll have to do that. Its ridiculous that they expect you to wait 4 months for aqn appointment when you're in pain. I suppose thats the disadvantage of getting treatment on the NHS! :mad:

Well i got 2 appointments through from the sedation clinic and i have to wait until January! I cant wait that long as i'm in alot of pain from a couple of my teeth. It does say you can ring the surgery to see if there are any cancellations so i think i'll have to do that. Its ridiculous that they expect you to wait 4 months for aqn appointment when you're in pain. I suppose thats the disadvantage of getting treatment on the NHS! :mad:

It probably wouldn't cost too much more to go privately at the same place and you'd be amazed how quickly they can fit you in. You have to ask yourself...what cost your quality of life over next 4 months or just bite the bullet and see your NHS dentist without sedation???

I called the dentist today to see if there had been any cancellations in the sedation clinic, unfortunately not but they have put me on a list of people to call if there are cancellations. I asked if i could have the sedation done privately and they are an NHS only clinic so unless i go elsewhere thats not going to be possible. As to having the treatment done without sedation, thats possible but i'm so nervous i cant see me sticking to appointments. I really dont know what the answer is, i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that someone will cancel.

I called the dentist today to see if there had been any cancellations in the sedation clinic, unfortunately not but they have put me on a list of people to call if there are cancellations. I asked if i could have the sedation done privately and they are an NHS only clinic so unless i go elsewhere thats not going to be possible. As to having the treatment done without sedation, thats possible but i'm so nervous i cant see me sticking to appointments. I really dont know what the answer is, i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that someone will cancel.

But you only need 5 (smallish?) fillings and an extraction....why not just try without,especially if you like the actual dentist (that's half the battle) .....start with whichever is causing the most pain although it might be best to do the smallest filling first just to get your confidence up. Ask her if she can do comfortable injections...if the answer is yes, then the whole thing will be painfree and no big deal....but you don't realise that yet. If she says it depends, then insist on the gel first and give it a whirl.
At least try one appt without sedation..you can't sit around until January in pain...also the teeth could get worse in that time as well. Take someone along to hold your hand if you like and if it's awful then you can think again but if you don't try you won't know how easy it can be. Witsend's thread might give you inspiration....take a look.:grouphug:

does you dentist offer sedation, this was my first avenue when looking for a dentist, that and an understanding ear - without your dentist's understanding of your fear the experience may not be all you need it to be, there are lots of relaxation technique's available to download on the net, if you feel up to it have a look around. i'm so sorry you're feeling so afraid, the first steps are always the hardest. leigh:)

But you only need 5 (smallish?) fillings and an extraction....why not just try without,especially if you like the actual dentist (that's half the battle) .....start with whichever is causing the most pain although it might be best to do the smallest filling first just to get your confidence up. Ask her if she can do comfortable injections...if the answer is yes, then the whole thing will be painfree and no big deal....but you don't realise that yet. If she says it depends, then insist on the gel first and give it a whirl.
At least try one appt without sedation..you can't sit around until January in pain...also the teeth could get worse in that time as well. Take someone along to hold your hand if you like and if it's awful then you can think again but if you don't try you won't know how easy it can be. Witsend's thread might give you inspiration....take a look.:grouphug:

I have just read witsends thread all the way through. It is truly inspiring but i still dont have the nerve to have the treatment done without sedation. Even though i'm in alot of pain, the fear of having the treatment overides the need to actually do something about it. I wish i could just put my fears aside and go and get the treatment done.:shame: I'm sitting here in tears just thinking about it.

Back