• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified I'm getting an abscess

K

kat1234

I had an upper mollar filled with a small white filling 8 days ago, and have been suffering with blocked sinuses and earache ever since.

I did have slight earache before I went to the dentist and over the weekend after I had the filling done my earache got worse so I went to the doctor who looked inside my ear and said it was red so I am on Amoxycillan, just taken the last one. The earache has gone but I have been suffering with blocked sore sinus' since then, and all my teeth seem to ache, the tooth I had filled doesn't hurt to tap or if I put pressure on it but it is sensitive to cold.

Could I generally have sinititis or does it sound like an abscess.

I am getting myself in such a state over all this, I keep reading on the net about abscesses are the worst pain people have ever experienced and I keep touching and chomping my teeth together to check they are not sore but I'm sure this will make it worse. The bite seems fine as it doesn't hurt to chew or anything. Just to left of my nostril above my lips feels a bit sore and fluid filled and keeps changing from one side to the other. My cheek is sore also.

I am also anxious that I have taken my last anti-b and now the dentist is shut till Monday I am convinced I am going to be in serious pain I have got myself in such a worried state :shame:

Thanks for reading

If it is an infection (based on my experiences), then you will have an intense throbbing right where the tooth is. While it can affect the area around it, in my case, it was centralized right where the root was.

And yes, it is an intense pain, but it can be gotten rid of quite quickly with antibiotics. I took Clindamycin and within 30 hours the pain was gone.

Call the dentist and have them take a look. If it is sinus related, then you should not let that linger either.

From what you're describing, it sounds like it's sinus-related, but if it would put your mind to rest, you can ask your dentist to check.
The treatment for ear infections and abscesses is pretty much the same (i.e. antibiotics), so if the worst came to the worst and the pain resurfaced, you wouldn't have to see a dentist immediately even if it turned out to be an abscess (though this sounds unlikely; it's probably just coincidence time-wise). In that case, you could always get necessary antibiotics from an emergency doctor or ER/A&E.
Hopefully though the infection will subside quickly :)!

It sounds like a sinus infection to me, I suffer with sinus problems quite a lot and it does cause all your teeth to ache (especially when you bend down).

NotaloneIsee - No intense throbbing at the moment, but I think I will call the dentist on Monday to check everything.

letsconnect - yes I may see the denist on Monday just to put my mind at ease.

Topcat - yes the pressure does seem to increase when I bend foward so could be sinuses.

My ears are hurting again now and I have finished my last anti-b so may be another visit to the doctor.

Thanks for your support.

I had very similar symptoms a year ago - throbbing 'toothache' like a sharp, nerve pain. I was convinced it was an abscess - and so was the dentist so I was given antibiotics (cephalexin). A week later I had an X-ray and the tooth was fine (well, not quite fine - it has decay beneath a filling) and there was no abscess. However, it felt and still feels sensitive to touch or tapping. I also have a strange boney lump by the base of my nose and it's assumed it's all related and is a sinus problem rather than tooth-related - and it sounds as though yours is, too. The fact it hurts more when you lean forwards also suggests it's more likely to be a sinus problem.

Back