• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Total extraction

B

boxer

Hi everyone,

I am 20 years old, and recently a few of my teeth got knocked out when boxing. However, I have always had bad teeth. I haven't looked after them so they were badly broken down and decayed. I felt very ashamed, and didn't talk to anyone about it. I was very limited in the food that I ate.

With the support of my partner, I managed to pluck up the courage to go to a dentist. They were excellent. They put me on an anxiety program and everything was great. The dentist confirmed what i thought, and said i'd need dentures.

I had all 28 of my teeth removed 4 days ago and immediate dentures fitted. The swelling is very bad, and I can only eat soup. The denture doesn't look very good either.. quite gummy if that makes sense, and very bloody.

I'm very nervous about leaving the house, and just wondering if anyone could give me some support?

Many thanks. X

Hi & :welcome: Congrats on getting the teeth taken care of. I am sure you didn't want to get dentures, but you will soon have a beautiful smile. I had all of my top teeth pulled and an immediate place (I have since had to do the same for the bottom) At first I wasn't sure about the denture either, but as the swelling decreases, the denture will fit better and look much less gummy. Do you have a follow up visit scheduled? In my case the dentist wanted to remove the denture the first time and cleaned things up a bit;) I did do warm salt water rinses, which washed away the bloody stuff that appeared on the dentures. I can promise that things will get much better real soon. Stick to soft foods, soups at first and then work your way up...ie:mashed potatoes, jello, and my favorite warm pudding;) Before you know it you will be eating solid foods. Best of luck and keep us posted:XXLhug:

Thanks I have just been reading around the forum and got some ideas on things i can eat... might try a sweet potato tomorrow.

I just have absolutely no idea how to chew with them.. I tried to eat a bit of bread and it just felt so uncomfortable and I honestly can't comprehend how I will ever be able to eat with them?

Well done on having the courage to go to the dentist and then to go ahead with what I am sure was a very difficult decision :)

From what you have said it sounds like you have never felt confident about your teeth so it is great to know that in a while you will be able to smile with confidence and don't be afraid to leave the house, I am sure you are more aware of the situation than others will be.

Oh an try some mashed potato with grated cheese melted into it - no chewing required :)

Hi Boxer,
First off, congrats on getting the work done. I know it seems terrible now, but things will improve.
I had all my upper teeth (11) removed last week and was fitted with an immediate denture. I'm still adjusting to it, but I am getting pretty good at eating.
My dentist told me that one of the tricks to eating is to keep a ball of food on each side of the mouth while chewing. Normally when we chew it's usually on a single ball of food that we move from one side to the other.
But my dentist pointed out that chewing a single ball of food on just one side can cause the denture to loosen on the other side, which can cause soreness on the gums. Keeping a ball of food on each side means equal pressure is applied on the denture, keeping it tight and allowing the gums to heal properly.

Give that a try and see if it helps.
As others have said, slowly work your way back to harder foods. For now, stick to the real soft stuff.

Things will get better. :)

mark

Thanks for the replies guys..

Today my bottom denture is sore and feels quite lose like i could just pop it out with my tongue. I'm thinking about taking it out and putting some adhesive on it, but the dentist said i should leave them in for as long as possible, and maybe take them out on monday to clean them.. what do you lot think?

Thanks.

x

Back