• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

about to kill myself unless this pain goes away

• Thread starter scaredstiffinbristol
  • Start date
S

scaredstiffinbristol

Help me.. just found this site. going out of my head in pain. dont know what to do, or where to go. had so many painkillers i feel im about to pass out. i found an emergency number for sundays but cant even pick the phone up. think id rather deathright now than this pain.. havent slept in days.

Sorry to hear about your extreme distress - might I suggest you call an ambulance for immediate assistance?
Please also read this page: Feeling depressed or suicidal?
:grouphug:

an ambulance? for dental pain? id feel mortified.

the link to what you tried to show me doesnt work.. but ty for the reply.

I've repaired the link..if you are truly feeling like killing yourself you are entitled to call an ambulance.
We've had good reports on the Bristol Dental Anaesthetic Clinic (private) from posters but there is undoubtedly emergency NHS care available as well.

NHS Direct could also point you in the direction of emergency dental care....A&E can give you strong painkillers until you can be seen by a dentist.

Please get yourself some assistance asap.:grouphug:

Hi

I think that if you have had to use so many painkillers that you feel that you may pass out that was what Brit meant, that you may need an ambulance because of this.

Is there anyone with you, or anyone that you can call to come over and help you? Perhaps to give you support and call the ambulance for you, or if you don't feel that you need help from the A&E department because of the painkillers, they could try and help you phone the emergency number and go with you to get the tooth treated.

The only thing I can say is that most of us here that have been where you are now with our dental phobia and have managed to seek treatment have found that it is never as bad as we thought it would be.

I hope that you are feeling better soon :grouphug:

Holly

my family are here, it was only yesterday i told them i was in so much pain with my mouth for the past 3 weeks, they thought i had the flu. now the cats out of the bag so to speak they are keeping on at me to phone for help.

im trying not to take any more painkillers untill at least 1pm. last dose was 7am. been taking anadin extras and neurofens..

maybe i can hang in there until monday morning, then at least only deal with being humiliated and embarrassed in front of one dentist rather than end up seeing one today AND one tomorrow.

its truely the worst pain ever.

does anyone know of a sympathetic dentist in south bristol? nhs if possible..

Get your family to make enquiries for you with NHS Direct. In many areas there are Dental Access Centres (for emergencies and non-registered patients) and they are used to dealing with people with extreme toothache (phobics etc) and we have not had a bad report on one yet...but my speculating is silly..you need to be seen tomorrow at the latest so you are going to have to go with the prevailing emergency arrangements in your area in the first instance, as it is unlikely an NHS dentist you are not already registered with would be able or willing to fit you in.

The one I gave is the only Bristol reccommendation I am aware of but isn't there a dental hospital which might have an emergency clinic...please get somebody assertive to phone NHS Direct for advice.

Can your family not get you seen by their dentist?

You can put your postcode into the British Dental Association website and then search for dentists with an interest in helping anxious patients.....good luck :grouphug:

[broken link removed]

This is the relevant Bristol NHS webpage..please phone, your situation is covered on this link...in pain and not registered.

If you phone the number they are supposed to arrange an emergency dental appointment for you...it's worth a go....remember you can look around for your ideal dentist once you are out of pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
my family are here, im trying not to take any more painkillers untill at least 1pm. last dose was 7am. been taking anadin extras and neurofens..

I am not so sure you should be mixing anadin extra with nurofen, I know you can mix nurofen with paracetamol that may be why you are feeling a bit out of it.

You should ask a someone to go to the pharmacy for you and try to get some co-dydramol (if they explain to the pharmacist the situation he/she shoud be able to prescribe them for you in an emergency) they can be mixed with nurofen and work very effectively together but as you say dont take anymore until at least 1pm.

Good Luck

thank you

i have the phone in my hand.. cant quite ring the number yet

the phone call wont be as bad as the pain will it... whats wrong with me, why cant i do it

just sat here crying

Get someone else to do it for you....you're in pain ....and get them to go with you to your appointment and speak up on your behalf...you will be ok honestly..if you get help...

Embarrassment is a common fear - have a look here: Embarrassed - what dentists really think

Emergency dentists are used to seeing patients who have not attended for a long time and you can expect treated with courtesy, kindness and respect and not humiliated.

just sat here crying

I can really understand how you are feeling, believe me I suffer from panic attacks about everything (just going to the shops can sometimes reduce me to tears and shear panic) but I always tell myself that I can do it and that nothing is ever as bad as you fear it will be.

You are in terrible pain and you want that to go away so you have to do this, tell yourelf that this time next week (in fact this time in a a couple of days) you would have made the call, been to the dentist and be feeling loads better and I am sure will also be feeling really pleased with yourself that you have finally made that step.

Of course it is ok for me to sit here typing this I am not going through your pain right now but I am due to go to the dentist on Tuesday and everytime I think about it my stomach turns over and I feel light headed and anxious but now I have foudn this site I know that there are lots of us all feeling the same way and reading the success stories reminds me that we can all do anything when we have to :)

Make the call, it will be the first step to stopping that horrible pain and towards you posting your success story :grouphug:

Is there any chance you can get to your local Accident & Emergency department? They deal with this stuff all the time, and it woulnd't involve seeing a dentist. They would give you antibiotics which you will need to take the pain away. Painkillers on their own won't help with a raging infection.

Please, please, please try and get to A&E, whether by taxi, by getting a lift of someone, or by calling an ambulance to take you there (if you can't pay for a taxi or you don't know anyone who can give you a lift).

It sounds like you're in terrible pain and you need to get the help you deserve asap :grouphug:

I want to say thank you for everyone who answered me today, and a HUGE thank you to Hollyharvey for helping me, and even ringing the emergency dentist for the appointment on my behalf... she's a star....

BIG HUGS TO YOU HOLLY xx

She talked me through everything, even let me ring her at home, and text her from the clinic... all this for a complete stranger..

I couldn't of done it without her support, and the support of this site..

I'm now on antibiotics for the infection, and stronger painkillers... and finally out of pain. I also have a big ulcer behind a tooth, which was contributing to the enormous pain apparently.

I was so brave, I even had 2 xrays taken..

Have to book appointment with a local dentist tomorrow, but thats another hurdle to get over. At least I managed to get through today with a little bit of help...

Thank you so much xx

Oh well done that is brilliant :)

You have done the hardest part today by taking that first step - good luck tomorrow x

Well what wonderful news:jump:..well done Scaredstiffinbristol and Hollyharvey:respect:....please make sure you follow up now and get the treatment you need...Letsconnect made a great point about antibiotics being needed first..we should have pointed that out earlier as it might have made it easier for you to go along sooner.

Is the tooth saveable do you know or will it be 'wiggled' gently out?

Back