• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gonna have to do it

D

dmgtk

Last time I went to the dentist was three years ago. Before I was more afraid of the pain but its morphed into the embarrassment. I've always had silent, cold dentists that really made me feel bad about myself.

I know my teeth aren't the worst in the world, but they aren't that great either. My leftmost upper molar has a big black hole in it and I hope they won't have to pull it out. There is no pain in it yet. I've never had root canal and I'm not that scared of it, I just don't want to lose my teeth.

I just don't understand how I could let my teeth get like this. I feel so embarrassed.

I'm going to call the dentist tomorrow, I've been recommended a good, friendly one by a friend. I don't care about the pain or a lecture just right now, I just hope I can still save my teeth.

I'm sorry that you've had such bad experience with dentists. I was the same way until last week. Luckily I think I found a really good one and I'm so thankful for that. I just had a tooth extraction last friday.

Embarrassment is understandable but the most important thing to remember is that you're going to do something about it. I was scared of the dentist for years and years and have just recently learned how to handle the anxiety and not dread the dentist.

I hope that you're still able to save your teeth as well and that your new dentist is understanding and gentle!

Good luck! :cheers:

I promise you'll feel SO much better after you've gone, especially if you like the new dentist you are going to. It makes such a difference to find a caring dentist and it's actually quite a nice feeling to have someone take care of you and help you through your fears, as well as get your mouth healthy again. In finding a good and caring dentist and going again after many years, I feel I have actually gone from being scared of dentists to being quite amazed and fascinated by what they can do and how they (well, the good ones anyway) help their patients deal with their fears. This has all happened in a very short space of time too...less than a month!

I have surprised myself, my partner and my friends in doing this, and I'm now even able to reassure regular dentist-goers who have never had a filling that it was (surprisingly) a piece of cake for me and if you've got an excellent and caring dentist, it's nothing to be afraid of. I really never thought I'd be able to say that but here I am.

All the best with your appointment. I hope that your new dentist gives you a whole new different outlook on the profession :)

Back