• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Finally got a 2nd opinion :) !!!

M

mokles

Hi everyone, I'd like to share my story with others and see if anyone has had anything similar. I posted here a few months ago, but my fear got very bad and it's only now that I am able to come back on the forum and read about teeth & dentists again!!!

I've always had an upper second premolar which never grew much past the gumline. When I was younger, I was told it would have to come out and I would have to go to hospital. I was so scared (the orthadontist was a very abrupt and scary man for a child!) that I never had anything done about it.
About two years ago, it started aching and the gum began to receed where the tooth was starting to decay. So, last year I plucked up the courage to go and get it seen to.

I went to a new dentist and had a less than pleasant experience!! He took one xray and said the tooth had roots in too near the sinus for him to take it out and I would have to go in to hospital. To cut a long story short, I never went in as I was too scared to even go to the consultation!!

I have recently signed up to a new dentist in order to get a second opinion. He is a lovely man, very gentle and understanding! He took 3 xrays of my tooth, and seemed shocked when I told him what my previous dentist had said about the roots/sinus. Apparently, the tooth is still a milk tooth which never fell out, and there is no adult tooth there, and the roots are not near to the sinus. The dentist said he will be happy to remove the tooth himself although it may involve some cutting into the gum. Of course, I'm over the moon I got another opinion!:) I'm so pleased that my dentist can take it out, and I feel a bit calmer about going into the dentists now. I am going back in a month or so to have it extracted.

However, I am a bit confused by the seeming 'misdiagnosis' of my previous dentist. Not sure if this sort of thing is common - maybe its just sometimes hard to tell via xrays what's going on? Obviously I am no dentist, but it seems like a simple thing to spot! Anyone had any experience of this?

Back