Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novacaine Injection question...Into sinus cavity ?

Default Novacaine Injection question...Into sinus cavity ?

Close to a week ago I had two teeth removed -
      #2 and #3 (upper right)..

While being injected with novacaine, the dentist inserted the needle
      into my sinus cavity, (via the inside of my mouth) which I might add was "interesting" - needless to
      say he asked me "do you feel that ?" and I replied that I did as the
      novacaine was being administered there...It was an interesting sensation.
      Once the needle was removed I blew my nose, which resembled a
      strong nosebleed and eventually stopped.
      I was told that this is common when removing those teeth in question
      because of the nerves/roots being located in that area.

My question of course is this "normal procedure" ?
      I have never heard of it - and no one that I have mentioned it to since
      I had this done has ever heard of it (frankly they don't believe me)

Isn't it possible to have infections or some other complication from
      the medication being put there ? I had the understanding that
      inserting anything into the sinus can cause infection, not to mention
      the needle passing through the inside of my mouth to get there.
      It wasn't the most unpleasant thing I've experienced but I am curious
      if this is common or something that is required.

Thank you

Default Re: Novacaine Injection question...Into sinus cavity ?

Interesting, I've never, ever heard of that happening before, so it's certainly not common practice

There's not much problem with infections, the LA solution is completely sterile and there's unlikely to have been much in the way of contamination still on the needle from the outside as it went through the tissues.

This is actually interesting to me, since i just read something online about a possible new way to freeze the entire upper jaw with no needles at all (me being a serious dental needle phobic I remember these things) and apparently they are developing a nasal spray that will numb the entire upper jaw! No painful injections anymore for upper work, is their slogan!

OMG that sounds amazing! Are dentist really starting to use this or is it just being developed at the mo?

Sorry, that sounds like snake oil to me. I'm always wary when I hear of articles published for public consumption on something that should have been carried in the professional journals first, it's usually crap.

I also can't see how it would work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
      Sorry, that sounds like snake oil to me. I'm always wary when I hear of articles published for public consumption on something that should have been carried in the professional journals first, it's usually crap.

I also can't see how it would work!
      Here are a few links on it:

http://www.physorg.com/news154118791.html

and

http://www.healthjockey.com/2009/02/...tal-procedure/

That's interesting. I'll look forward to reading more about it when they've completed the trials.

hello there. i used to read and write on this forum a few years ago. been lurking around again, and now i have a question.
      i brought up this thread because during a search, it was the only one i could find that was similiar.

i just had a root canal re-treatment on tooth #8 (upper front right tooth), yesterday in the middle of the day.
      while recieving the novacaine injection i too, felt what could described as an "interesting" sensation in my sinus. basically it felt like it was getting cold water in it..
      my eyes teared up and my nose felt so stuffy immediately after. i got a tissue and gathered myself together for a moment. no bleeding or anything.
      overall, i have to say the treatment went pretty well.
      i just was hoping for a little more insight.
      ever since i left the office it has totally felt like i got punched in the face. and that there is a stick up my nose. lol. really. that is what it feels like. straight from the roof of my mouth, up my nose and to my eye. when i flex my nostrils there is an odd hard pain in the back of my nose. like i have had a really bad cold or something is what it feels like.
      so what i am wondering is...is everything okay? is my sinus going to heal on its own? i read in that post that the fluid is sterile, which is great. but....
      the reason i needed the root canal retreatment is because i had a terrible infection going on. most likely never got healed in the first place from the original abcess some years ago.
      so, i just want to make sure it didn't spread the infection into my sinus, or injure my sinus or anything.
      it isn't even terrible pain. just more very odd and uncomfortable. and i can't make alot of facial movements without it hurting.
      thanks for any advice or information in advance.

Basically yes, it's OK, the sinus lining has probably got anaesthetised. The infected area should be nowhere near the infection site in any case.

Really weird, I've never heard of such a thing before, having it happen twice to people on here is bizarre...

thanks for your reply.
      i found it rather weird as well. i have had my front teeth worked on a few times before and never had that happen. i trust my endodontist at least and think it is just 'one of those things'. i know he was focused on only sticking me once on each side, and just getting alot in there with the one stick. so maybe he got a little enthusiastic. i don't know. and i have been told before i have a short pallete. basically a small mouth. so maybe that had something to do with it.
      the only reason i asked about the infection part is because the infection was in the bone right above the tooth, which just seemed like the area he stuck me. but i guess even that is irrelevent because i am on a pretty solid round of antibiotics anyway.
      i must say tho. never want that to happen again. it sucks.