• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dreading today

S

snowqueen

Morning folks.

I have suffered with severe dental fear all my adult life due to bad experiences as a child. After not seeing a dentist for many years because of this my teeth are in a terrible state. Two weeks ago I managed to get in with a local dentist as I was climbing the walls with toothache.

I have to admit she was very patient with me as I was a nervous wreck and the bad tooth was extracted. Anyway she told me that I have a fractured filling that she would like to do for me :o As I just wanted to get out of there I said yes and the appointment is for this morning at 10.40am.

I have been awake most of the night worrying and my stomach is in knots. My hubby is taking time off work to take me. He was very impressed with her, so much so he has registered with her and is having a check up straight after me.

So please think of me at 10.40am, I have already changed my mind about going at least 100 times. I just wish I didn't suffer like this and could have a smile to be proud of instead of having to smile with my hand across my mouth :cry:

Morning

Good Luck for today, it will all be fine fillings are quick and easy and if you managed to have a tooth extracted two weeks ago you will sail through this morning :)

In three hours time it will all be over and you will be back on here posting your success story :)

I hope your appontment goes ok. Today I made my first dental appointment in about 20 years. My teeth, whats left of them are awful and I actually swallowed one on Saturday. I have got to wait a week now to begin the long journey of sorting my mouth out.:) I wish I could smile like that.

Well I am back and I didn't run away or chicken out :yay:
The dentist was really lovely, she is very gentle and works very quickly. I only have to lift my hand if I need to have a break.

My filling is now done AND after asking me for permission, she did a scrape and polish too :o I have to use some kind of mouthwash from the chemist for two weeks as my gums are a bit of a problem then I have to see her again in 3 months. I was shaking the whole time and didn't stop until an hour after I got home.

I still have a load of work to be done but we are taking small steps to deal with everything. One day I would love a plate of dentures on the top as I am missing my 4 front teeth and 2 more will need to come out :hidesbehindsofa:

Unfortunately as that costs nearly £200 I won't be able to smile for a long time but at least it's a start. Thanks for thinking of me :grouphug:

Back