• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth (and slight ear) pain after permanent crown procedure

G

Geofff

I recently got a permanent crown (which didn't involve a root canal) put on one of my bottom molars. Things were fine with it for the first week, but lately it's been hurting quite a bit (sometimes also making my ear ache as well).

This pain is especially amplified at night (making it very hard to sleep). When I wake up, the pain seems to go away, but slowly gets worse throughout the day after eating or chewing (and climaxes at night). I feel that the bite might be off on the outer side of the tooth. Would this much pain match up to the bite being too high?

Could the tooth have been agitated during the crowning process to the point where the nerve is dying?

I'm gonna call my dentist about the problem tomorrow morning...

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

btw, my tooth used to be pretty sensitive to cold. It was never really sensitive to hot. Now, it's not really sensitive to either (but swishing cold water in my mouth kinda numbs the pain until the water's gone)

I'mmmm just going to try my best to ignore that "and climaxes at night" part :whistle:, but yeah sometimes a high bite or one that isn't quite right can mimic a toothache especially if you have some night habits like grinding your teeth in your sleep. That would explain why it's quite bad during that time and is aggravated by chewing. Your dentist will be able to check it out for you.

I just woke up and the pain hasn't died down like it did yesterday... This sucks, heh.

Calling my dentist later (thanks for the reassurance).

Back