• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling/s too high

J

JessicaB

Sorry to be asking so many questions on here - but one or both of the fillings I had two days ago still feels too high, like there is a small stone between my teeth. The only other time I had a filling done it felt a bit high at first, but was fine after two days. I am also getting a slight pain in the lower molar when I bite down on it.

Should I call the dentist first thing on Monday to get it sorted out or should I wait and see if they wear down first?

Also, could the pain be as a result of the filling height causing extra pressure on the tooth?

Thanks

If it's still not feeling quite right, the dentist should be interested in getting it right for you I would think. You might want to drop in for another visit.

I was wondering, how long does it generally take for the tooth to stop hurting (whilst chewing) once the bite has been corrected?

It's usually quite quick, 2 or 3 days max.

Thanks Gordon. The tooth where the filling was too high is still hurting when I chew, and it's now been five days since the bite was adjusted. I guess it's time to make another appointment. My dentist said the filling will probably need to be re-done if the bite adjustment didn't do the trick.

I went back three weeks ago for a second bite adjustment and it helped a lot, but I am still getting a very slight pain when I chew certain foods (eg nuts and pretzels), and it's slightly worse when I hit the tooth at a certain angle I think. It's now been nearly seven weeks since the original filling. The pain is now only very minor and I would probably almost call it discomfort/sensitivity rather than pain, as in I'm aware that that tooth doesn't feel quite right from time to time, but it's not an unbearable feeling and with most food, it feels totally fine.

I'm happy to leave it and just try to avoid that tooth with those foods, but I'm also worried that leaving it is the wrong thing to do. The dentist did mention the possibility of the tooth being cracked which he was going to investigate if the second bite adjustment didn't work (which I guess it has, just not completely), but he also said it was very unlikely, especially since the tooth has been improving over time.

Any advice? I realise that there could probably be lots of possibilities here, I guess that's why I'm so confused about what to do as I feel like I'd just be wasting the dentist's time by going back over something that feels so insignificant.

One more adjustment will probably sort it out. If I was the dentist, I would be quite pleased to hear it's nearly sorted.

I got two crowns in March of 2008 and went about back almost 15 times to have the bite adjusted...or so that's what my dentist was telling me was causing the pain I had when biting down. They FINALLY referred me to an endo who said I needed a root canal. That fixed the problem.

Just be careful about going back and going back so they can continue to shave down...because I think that's eventually what caused me to have to get the root canal. In fact, I don't even think I needed the ceric crowns in the first place....

They shouldn't hurt and if they still are after a few visits to your dentist, I'd go somewhere else. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I had known at the time, after a couple visits, I would have had a different dentist check out my teeth.

I really don't want to go to another dentist because I really like my dentist and I do trust him and I'd hate to start again with a new dentist who I don't like as much. There's no reason that the tooth should need a root canal from what I've been told (unless there is a crack), as the filling was not close to the nerve.

I also think that the fact there's been significant improvement indicates that he's on the right track. When the filling was done, I also had a top filling done at the same time and couldn't feel ANYTHING, which is why the bite was off when it was first done. As the dentist explained, they try to keep as much of the filling material in there as possible, whilst still allowing for a functional/pain free bite so that the filling is stronger and will last as long as possible because they do wear down over time.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience though.

Back