• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Xanax

G

GoreHound

Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice on Xanax. I am having an extraction Monday afternoon, and this will be the 2nd time I have had this procedure without being put to sleep. I had 4 teeth pulled at my first dental visit when I was 10 or 11, and it scarred me, so I always get put to sleep if I need this procedure. The new dentist I am seeing prescribed Xanax for me to take 40 minutes before my appointment, and I am scared it won't take and I will still be wired when I get there. Has anyone here taken Xanax? Does it work? I am trying to be brave (honest!!), but this really freaks me out thinking about the digging, scraping, blood, etc. And Lord knows if I need a stitch or 2, I'm done.:scared: Thanks in advance for any help. Appreciate it!!!!!

GoreHound

The new dentist I am seeing prescribed Xanax for me to take 40 minutes before my appointment, and I am scared it won't take and I will still be wired when I get there. Has anyone here taken Xanax?

Yes. I took .25mg which was not enough. My fear was that it would take too well and it would affect my driving...even though this *%$ oral surgeon said it wouldn't.

Does it work?
Not for me that time, but for others it has. Well, I can't say it did nothing. It did actually relax me somewhat, and I had no problems during the extraction. The only reason I say it didn't work is because the OS was a jerk and that feeling never left...even with xanax.
I am trying to be brave (honest!!), but this really freaks me out thinking about the digging, scraping, blood, etc. And Lord knows if I need a stitch or 2, I'm done.:scared: Thanks in advance for any help. Appreciate it!!!!!

GoreHound
Did the dentist say if it was a simple extraction or not?

If it is a simple extraction, then your tooth will be out in two minutes...literally. I have had four...no, five...simple extractions in the past six months (one was a month or so ago), and I can say that there is nothing to worry about. There is no scraping, no cutting, and no stitches. The numbing took longer than the extraction.

Oh, besides the first one, I took nothing. No sedation. No xanax. Nothing.

During one appointment I had three teeth pulled. Before I walked back, I checked the clock by the front desk. From the time I walked back to the dentist chair to the time I came back to the front desk was 27 minutes...approx.;D This included me telling my horror story at the OS's office, small conversation with the dental assistant and dentist, the numbing, the actual three extractions, and the small talk about how to take care of the "holes."

Here is the actual procedure as I remember it.

First, I was numbed. Then the dentist took an "elevator" (small leverage tool) and gently pushed at the sides of the tooth. She then took this HUGE pliers...no, wait, that was in my dream...sorry ;D, she took this small pliers and wiggled the tooth a couple of times and pulled it right out.

Typing this has taken longer than having a tooth out.

I know how you feel, and I was as you were for the first couple of appointments. But after that, I found that extractions are of less concern than fillings.

If you are having a tooth taken out that is broken, then it will take a little longer. But the one that I had (an impacted wisdom tooth) did not take more than ten minutes or so. Again, no pain and not much blood that I can remember. Besides, the dental assistant sticks this huge vacuum hose in your mouth to suction everything out except the tongue, and I swear if I hadn't said something I would have lost that, too! :o Okay, a slight exaggeration again.

Tooth extraction sounds scary, but from my experience, it is one of the easiest dental procedures to have done. While I am pretty certain that you be fine, it is hard for me to convey that to you. From one who has made it to "the other side," I think you will find the extraction rather easy.

Last edited:
Good Morning GoreHound:

I will give you an overview of Xanax and how it works.

Xanax is a benzodiazepine. This is a class of medications used to treat anxiety, sleep issues, convulsions, drug addiction and panic attacks. These medications have different sub-categories within the benzodiazepine class. They are:

Sedative: reduces irritability and excitment
Pre-Anesthetic: Helps with action of anesthesia
Hypnotic: Depresses Central Nervous System response inducing sleep
Muscle Relaxant: Slows motor response and firing of short and long fiber muscles reducing muscle tone and spasms
Anti-convulsant: stops seizures and can have a mood elevating affect
Anxiolytic: Reduces anxiety "Minor Tranquilizer"
Amnesic: induces loss of short term memory for an event

Xanax or Alprazolam is a highly potential benzodiazepine, it possesses anxiolytic, sedative, hypnotic, amnesic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant properties.

This medication helps in reducing the debilitating symptoms like fear, pounding hearts, shortness of breath and gives a better sense of control to people with of anxiety and panic disorder.

Xanax takes about 2-3 hours to reach peak effectivness, but, you should start to feel the effects in about 30-45 minutes. You can increase the absorption rate by taking it with club soda, carbonated beverages help with most benzos. They can also reduce the metallic taste some people experience from these medications.

It takes about 12 hours for 50% of this medication to leave the body (half life).

Xanax is usually given in .25, .5 and 1mg doses. Since these medications effect everyone differently the smallest dose is given.

Never drive while on this medication. Your response time will be very slow and you can get very drowsy. Many people describe the affect of Xanax as

"someone reached into my body and took out all my emotions"
"I feel very sleeply and relaxed"
"I do not remember exactly what happened over the last 2 hours it is fuzzy"

This is largely dose dependent. At low doses this medication can take the edge off the anxiety and that is all many people feel. Xanax is more of a broad spectrum benzo and usually works well for most people. There are different benzos that are a litttle more targeted for anxiety like Ativan. But this medication should help with lowering your anxiety level.

I hope this helps. All the best on your appointment. :)

Oh wow, thanks!!!:cheers: Your words helped me a lot, and I did gasp when I saw the word "pliers"!! This tooth is "ruptured"; it's like cracked with a hole in the center. I actually moved half of it a while back eating a hot dog (ugh!!) so maybe it will come out easy??????:whistle: I am hoping these pills work for me; they said to take 2 (10 mg, I believe) 30-40 minutes before my appointment. I had pills like this at a dentist in FL, but I don't remember if they were Xanax or not. They were fabulous; tiny little yellow things. Didn't know what was going on, and I prefer it that way.:sleep: This site has been very helpful so far, & it makes me feel better. Thanks so much again.

Yellow and 10mg sounds like Valium. Valium is much more of a muscle relaxant than Xanax. It takes about the same time for effectiveness as Xanax but stays in the body much longer (100 hour half life).

20mg is a strong dose. Maximum dose is 40mg per day.

20mg should allow you to be slipped under most doors without any problems! ;D

Take care.

Most festive!!:jump:I am starting to feel better; of course, Monday at this time I am sure my nerves will take over or start to take over, no matter how much I tell myself everything will be ok. But this helps a lot, for sure. I will try the club soda thing, too; I use that to dilute Alka Seltzer cold for my headaches and it seems to make it work faster. I will pick up another bottle this weekend!! So when I found out about the extraction, I was :scared:, finding out they would give me a sedative was :yay:, and now after reading all your help, I am :thumbsup:. Yay!!!!!!

Most festive!!:jump:I am starting to feel better; of course, Monday at this time I am sure my nerves will take over or start to take over, no matter how much I tell myself everything will be ok. But this helps a lot, for sure. I will try the club soda thing, too; I use that to dilute Alka Seltzer cold for my headaches and it seems to make it work faster. I will pick up another bottle this weekend!! So when I found out about the extraction, I was :scared:, finding out they would give me a sedative was :yay:, and now after reading all your help, I am :thumbsup:. Yay!!!!!!
I don't want to scare you but you should talk to the dentist to see if your getting gas (sorry i don't remember if you said so or not) but i can tell you i'm getting 18 teeth pulled for immediate dentures and he gave me valium to see what will take the edge off 1 to take the night befor and what ever made me feel best the day of well nothing worked and i'm VERY scared so itried xanax that i had and they have not helped for the panic i have already so besides getting the gas i'm going to see if i can take 1/2 a sleeping pill .if your dentist offers a local take it i need a general but he doesn't do that in the office.Hang in there if i can go through all this i'm sure you can thinking of ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooh, 18 teeth?????? You are a brave person. That was what the first dentist wanted to do, take out all my teeth & get dentures. But it would have been under IV, so not too bad I guess. Well, the appointment is today, I am scared, but I am ready. I have my pills, a bottle of seltzer to take with them (I heard that works better), my headphones just in case, and hopefully my faith!!! :) Last night I was eating supper on the opposite side, as I always do, and I had the nerve pain again, bad. I have to say I cannot wait until this tooth is gone so I can eat on that side until the nervy tooth is fixed. I am praying the Xanax works; God, it has to. Thanks for the support. This tooth is broken anyhow, and I did shift half of it munching on a hotdog, so maybe it was come out easily???????????? (Just telling myself it will......it's part of my strategy).:cry:

I suspect you will be astonished how easy the extraction actually is.

But if it isn't, then at least it will be over,

I know you are right; it's just my paranoia/psychosis/neurotic fear that has a hold on me. I will probably be in & out in no time, too. I am a basket case, what can I say!!!!:scared:But this time tomorrow, I will kicking myself for being so afraid. Thanks for all the support everybody!!!!!:grouphug:

I know you are right; it's just my paranoia/psychosis/neurotic fear that has a hold on me.

I was NO different. Honestly. That is why I can tell you that how you might feel when it is over.

I have been there and am now here.

It is good to know there are people I can talk to about this; a lot of people just think you're being a baby or over-reacting with this sort of fear. My husband called earlier, and he said maybe he can ask the dentist if they can do another procedure today while I am "goofy", try to get more done. I was like, hell NO!!!!!:o Let's see how GoreHound is doing with the goofer pills first before we make more decisions.:ROFLMAO: Ahhh, see, I am laughing now. 11:14 am, less than 5 hours to go before the visit, and here come the delusions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just kidding..............);)

Hello Gorehound

You are going to do great. You have already demonstrated you have courage and that will serve you well. The Xanax will calm you down nicely.

You are going to be sooo happy when this is behind you and you are pain free.

I will be thinking about you. Please let us know of your success.

God bless :jump:

Appreciate the support, I really do. I have to say I am more mentally relaxed than I was before I found this forum, but physically I can feel the butterflies starting. I just called my husband to remind him to grab the Xanax before he leaves to come get me!!! :sleep: Well, at least I will be able to eat soon; maybe tomorrow even I hope. I hope I can write here tomorrow about what a wonderfule experience I had & how silly I was to be nervous at all.:yay: Have a good night, everyone.

The Xanax didn't work. I left work 10 minutes earlier so I could have 40 minutes to let it set in, and nothing. Aside from that, I can actually say I didn't feel the 7 (yes SEVEN!!) novocaine needles, the steroid shot after all was said & done PLUS the 4 stitches. I actually watched him pulling the thread & I caught a glimpse of the needle. All & all, for me, I did very well. That be a whole lotta needles!!!:scared: The tooth took a little longer to get out; there was some scraping, pulling and the ever-popular drill. I couldn't wait for it to be over, but it was better than I anticipated. I go next Wednesday to get the tooth on the opposite side drilled & fixed, they I should be able to eat ok. Hopefully..........................................:cheers:

Congratulations!! :jump:

Now that the big one is out of the way, at least you know that you CAN make it through!

That's awesome, well done!! :jump::yay::jump:

You did it and came through beautifully. Be very proud of yourself.

I am very happy for you. You made it through the most difficult part and realized you have inner strength and personal power that will serve you well.

Here's to your success :cheers:

Thanks!!!!!!!:yay: Yep, I got through this ok, and even the dentist said this was the hardest one. Thing is, I can't smoke or drink carbinated beverages for 24 hours (4:45 today, roughly), and being at my stressful job is hell!:devilish: I must say, the novocaine worked nice. I could still hear the scraping & feel the pulling, but it was a million times better than I thought.

Back