• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oh No :(

F

fionaa

Today my mum bought me some toffee, and i got to the end of the packed when i felt a 'crunch'. and when i felt around with my tounge i felt that one of my back teeth on the right hand side had chipped again ( it was already chiped :/) and now i dont know what to do i told my mum and she said wait untill our next appointment in march, but im petriffed of the denitist (due to past experiances) :cry:
please let me know what you think i should do :)

Go now to the dentist. If you wait, your fear will only intensify...that is based on MY experiences.

Best advice I have heard!

Avoiding the problem will make it harder to deal with as time goes on. The anxiety will gain strength and fear will increase.

Dealing with the problem early will also not allow more damage to be done. The problem will not get better on its own.

Confronting the fear robs it of power. Sort of like if you did not eat for a week. You would lose energy and the ability to do things, fear is the same way.

There are many easy things you can do to calm anxiety. Let me know if you would like some help in this area. :)

Hello there :) I hope I can be of some help.

A few weeks ago, I was eating a bag of hard chocolatey sweets in the back of the car with my brother, on the way to visit some relatives. The next day, I woke up with a chipped tooth (which had been repaired just recently). I, like you, absolutely hate the dentist and left the tooth for a few days whilst deciding what to do - by which point, I had to wait a week and a half for an appointment - not fun.

I guess the best thing I can advise is to head to the dentist as soon as you can - even if you don't enjoy the experience. Just motivate yourself by thinking of an end to the pain and it'll be over before you know it. Is there any chance you could explain your anxiety to your dentist? :yay:

Maybe consider this - there is a chance that a broken tooth can be repaired, and the sooner you go to the dentist, the greater your chances are.

Broken teeth do not get better. They get worse and can deteriorate very quickly.

Today's broken tooth is tomorrows toothache and emergency extraction and that is not a good situation to be in (trust me on this!!) as I am the world's worst extraction-phobic.

Thank You For Your Advice,
Before this tooth cracked the second time i used to get a bit of toothache once in a while + i always get toothache when chewing chewing gum (i have no idea why though :S). i will think about what im going to do but it is three weeks till my next appointment (6th march) so i think by the time i get a place for an ammointment it will only be a few days as my dentist is private, but im even so scared about going to the dentist on my next appointment :cry:
answer to the question from kia 101 i dont think i could yet being aged 14 i think my dentist knows i have some kind of fear, as shes been my dentist since i was very little and has reffered me to all local dental clinics and even the hospital as i get myself worked up which means most dentists i got reffered to ended up forcing my mouth open :cry: + she is retiring at the end of march too
:hidesbehindsofa:
i will let you know how it goes

Last edited:
all over the place :(

i have an appointment on the 6th of march, i cant help thinking that this appointment is going to be bad. :cry:
and now my brain is all over the place with diffrent thoughts, i keep think of ways to get out of it, like going to the toilet to waist the appointment time (stupid i know) but i cant help thinking bad things i dont know why either :S
i cant really ask for much help in this but has it happened to anyone else, or just support may help me.
5 days and im dredding it :cry:

Re: all over the place :(

Hello Fionaa:

I understand the situation. One major component of anxiety is future based worry. It is fear of what may happen or might happen. These are always worst case. This is one of the most common features of anxiety and is not unusual.

Constant worry feeds the anxiety and reinforces the behavior. Avoiding the issue also gives the fear more power. Anxiety is a habit that runs from emotional loops in the brain.

One of the best things you can do is to focus on the positive and refuse to give in to the fear. Taking care of this issue will improve your health, relieve pain and improve quality of life.

Also excess idle time gives opportunity to practice worry. Use the time to replace worrying with doing positive things for yourself and others. Anxiety tends to diminish when we get our minds off of our situation and reach out to others. You will be channeling the fear energy into something positive.

There are many people on this forum that have faced similar situations and came through with flying colors. Draw on their success. Do not focus on what can go wrong, but what will go right.

This is an emotional battle that you can win. It is fought moment by moment and requires a change of focus. Think of how great you will feel when this is finished.

Your best friend in this is a positive attitude and focusing on a goal. Never let fear have the last word, you are much stronger than your fear.

I know you can do this. You have reserves of courage and power you can tap into to serve you.

Good thoughts to you. :)

appointment tomorrow

omg im soo scared, i have the shakes already, here for some reasurance and good luck,
im sure people know what im going through and i cant explan anymore im just really scared and know i will just shut away.
please wish me luck it really help (yn)

:hidesbehindsofa: :cry:

Re: appointment tomorrow

Aw hun :hug2: What are you going in for tomorrow?

just a 6 monthly check up but i go with my family and am only 14 so its hard for me, i havent let my dentist see me for a few years i just shut down :cry:

I'm sure everything will be fine! It's good you have your family going with you and as long as you like the dentist you'll be fine.

im to ot keen on her, she doesnt really tell you what shes going to do but shes retiring at the end of march, so i think thats good,
try to start fresh with the new dentist.
:)

good luck for your appointment i'm in at 1:30 tomorrow for a filling to be sorted out (part of it has came out) i'm actually pretty relaxed or maybe its just the lavender radox really working :p but we will both be fine tomorrow :) just think of me trying not to curl into the foetal position in the chair as i always want to do that for some reason!

let us know how it goes and i'll update you on my wonky mouth tomorrow night!

Thank You Hope EveryThink Goes Well For You,
Will Be Thinking About You :), Mine Is At 2:50
Will Keep You Posted :)
:cry:

ok quick update i'm gonna have to cancel tomorrow's appointment as i feel an ear infection coming on which im not happy about, i have bad exzema and if my inner ears get wet to much they go into an infection and when i was in the shower there i had the usual shooting pain going thru my face and its on the side which would be drilled so mum said it would be FAR too painful to drill so close to an infection :(

i was actually lookin forward to getting this fixed!!but good luck anyway i will be thinking about you!

Sorry To Hear That , Hope You Recover From Your Ear Infection Okay
Thank You Ill Keep You Updated :)
:cry:

dont worry about me i get them kinda frequent cause of the exzema but luckily i had some drops from before to try and start the healing process as fast as possible

Best of luck for your appt tomorrow - i'm sure all will go well , the anticipation is always worse than the event (says me that is a total woose......)

i was there today for a replacement filling, was dreading it , had built it up to be a massive thing and ok whilst it wasnt the best way to spend an hour....i got through it and it was no way near as bad as i had built it up to be.

If it helps, try and reassure yourself that you are doing the right thing by going for a check up, you are avoiding the need for any treatment by keeping to your 6months check up appt.

A lady on this forum (annie) gave me some good advice recently - she said think how good you have felt once you have been and you dont have to worry about it anymore and its so true. Ok i feel a bit uncomfortable right now having been there this morning but knowing that i can go to bed tonight and not have that appt in the morning is such a great feeling - its over with and i got through it.

Best of luck and as annie told me - make sure you do summat nice afterwards as you deserve it xxxxxxxxxxxxx

:grouphug:

:cry::cry::cry: :oops:

wel guess what took over...
... my fear and anxity, i thought it was going okay untill we got called in and i couldnt get up i was shaking so much, whilst my mum was in the room she was in there for ages, bound to be talking about me.
im just disapointed in my self.
i am going to promise myself with the new dentist in september i will start fresh ... hopefully

Back