• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cracked tooth or crazed line ?

S

scared2goformylife

Hello All,

I have what looks like a crack in both bottom molars the line is vertical on each of the molars and they are only on one side. I feel no pain when i bite and they are not sensitive to either hot or cold i can run a scaler across the line with out it catching on anything i am just not sure how concerned i should be i have an appoinment to see the dentist the first week of march but i am wondering if i should try to see him sooner any insight on this would be helpfull and if they are cracked what are the chances they can save them

thankx in advance

I'm not dentist but some of my front teeth have those to... my dentist said they are just cosmetic problems nothing that needs to be fixed.. Here is post I found online about it also..

Craze lines are tiny cracks that affect only the outer enamel of the tooth. They are common in all adult teeth and cause no pain. Craze lines need no treatment. They do NOT extend into dentin. Hence, these cracks are observed in most teeth and are considered normal. They are the result of "wear and tear" on teeth.
Hence, the answer is no, not all cracks seen on the outside of teeth are bad.

Obviously if you have any concerns you should see a dentist asap but to me it just sounds like the same thing I have which appears to be normal... although with myself not taking care of my teeth for so long I'm sure it helped the process speed up a little

One can't really say without checking out the teeth so if you're curious, bring it up at your next appointment or if it's really bothering you, you can go in to have it looked at. I would say if there's no symptoms it probably can wait. If there are large fillings in the teeth, those lines might be crack lines, but the likelihood of them being in two teeth and identical in nature are probably fairly slim so it's most likely something else.

Thank you for the replies. There are modrate fillings on the biting surface only and the lines are on different sides on each molar. I have tried things that i have read that would delibratly cause pain like placing an ice cube on both teeth and having some hot tea as well as biting down on something with no pain. could it be possible that the crack is on the inside and not yet come through the enamel yet ? i would think there would be pain regardless ! i think if there is no pain then thats a good sign so i will see when i see the dentist in march. thank you for the insight.

Some cracks might not create any symptoms at all and might not respond to anything. If you can't feel the crack if you run your finger over it for example, that might be a good sign. Sometimes though it could still be a crack forming if it is next to a large restoration. It sounds though that it should be most likely until March when you go in.

what are the systnoms that it can cause?:hidesbehindsofa:

Back