• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

1st time in 17 years

G

glennbtn

Hi All I need some advise

The last time I went to the dentist was some 17 years ago due to being treated like a piece of meat on a slab.

I now know I need to go as have 3 broken teeth which I need to get sorted but but like the idea of really heavy treatment and a damn scared of going. :o

1. Is there anyway of having my treatment when I am asleep like they do in other countries so all the work can be completed virtually in 1 go.
  2. If not what would others suggest about sedation.
  3. Can anyone suggest a good dentist somewhere near worthing in west sussex
Many thanks in advance

Glenn ;)

Your Past Sounds Bad, well i got put to sleep for a procedure but i was only told i would have 2 teeth out when i woke up i found out i had 8 teeth took out :cry:. so i do believe it can be done :)

Welcome Glenn

1. Is there anyway of having my treatment when I am asleep like they do in other countries so all the work can be completed virtually in 1 go.
  2. If not what would others suggest about sedation.
  3. Can anyone suggest a good dentist somewhere near worthing in west sussex

1. Yes but it compromises the level of care provided i.e. extractions rather than root canals/crowns/ restorative fillings so you don't really want that except for complex extractions/jaw surgery etc etc. You'd have to get a referral to an oral surgeon at your local NHS hospital...so no guarantee they'd consider it aappropriate - you could enquire about the Community Dental Service provision in your area and whether it covers phobics but again they'd opt for most appropriate which would likely be i/v sedation.

Strongly suggest you go i/v sedation instead as much easier to obtain, can feel similar to you, doesn't compromise the level of care and is less risky...in fact extremely safe.
2. Sedation options here:

i/v sedation:

3. This is the dentistfinder link for South East: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/forums/south-east.33/

Good luck, the benefit to choosing a private dentist is that you are 100% in control over who treats you and how they do it and can expect time to be taken to discuss your fears and how they can help. Remember modern dentistry should be delivered painlessly so don't go just anywhere if you can afford to choose your own dentist. Sometimes if you have avoided care through fear for many years, an upfront investment to get back on track is well worth it and hopefully you'll lose the bulk of the fear in the process.

The other thing you could do is a BDA website search on your postcode and look for dentists with an interest in anxious patients/i/v sedation etc etc

Best wishes and let us know how you do get on, there are some suggestions listed for Brighton too (nearer to Worthing)but again no recommendations from posters yet.

NB If you go along and you don't like or trust them, you just move on and don't go back...hence why best to have first appointment as a chat/consultation only.:grouphug:

Last edited: