• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have a fear of brushing my teeth

Could your dentist suggest something you could do as an alternative. Would it be something you could gradually get used to. I am not afraid to brush so if this question offends you that was no offence intended.

Would it be possible for you to use lint wrapped around your finger or something to clean your teeth and to floss and use mouth wash?

Could you afford to see a hygienist every few weeks?

I am just trying a few suggestions here. Is it the toothbrush or the toothpaste you are afraid of and what is it you fear about it?

:butterfly:

Hi bigg, we have a few suggestions that have been mentioned over the years on this page:

Toothpaste phobia

Maybe the easiest and quickest way to achieve your goal would be a couple of sessions with a (talented) psychologist, I would guess that CBT (cognitive-behavioural therapy) and taking baby steps would help you with the problem very quickly (though obviously, confronting your fear is always a scary thing and it would take a lot of initial courage to confide in someone face-to-face).

I hope you'll find a way forward, and if you come across anything that helps you, please do share your tips on the forum :)!

Could your dentist suggest something you could do as an alternative. Would it be something you could gradually get used to. I am not afraid to brush so if this question offends you that was no offence intended.

Would it be possible for you to use lint wrapped around your finger or something to clean your teeth and to floss and use mouth wash?

Could you afford to see a hygienist every few weeks?

I am just trying a few suggestions here. Is it the toothbrush or the toothpaste you are afraid of and what is it you fear about it?

:butterfly:

Its difficult to put my finger on the problem I have with it - I think first and foremost is the taste. I hate the taste of mint - gum, toothpaste anything - so that is an automatic turn off. I know you're going to say use kids toothpaste that tastes like bubblegum and I've tried that too. Just something about the consistancy, the foaming...I don't know, the whole thing just makes me want to vomit. I want to get my teeth fixed and I know I have to take care of them, but I don't know what to do about this phobia I have. I don't mind the toothbrush itself (although not my favorite) - I usually brush with just warm water - so I don't know what it is. I'm the person who brushes with their eyes clamped shut, praying it will be over as fast as possible.

I'm pretty sure Gordon - one of the dentists on here - said that toothpaste isn't actually necessary to clean your teeth - it just makes the experience more palatable (or something like that).
So - keep brushing with the water and flossing - you just need to get the plaque off :) Tooth paste just makes it easier I think...
Just some thoughts...:dunno:

Yes it was Gordon that said that. :butterfly: So it is more the texture and taste of the toothpaste that seems to bother you. Do you know you can get a powder form of toothpaste, your dentist might know what it is and where it is available. From what I remember of it it doesn't foam up in your mouth, or have a minty taste.

Yes it was Gordon that said that. :butterfly: So it is more the texture and taste of the toothpaste that seems to bother you. Do you know you can get a powder form of toothpaste, your dentist might know what it is and where it is available. From what I remember of it it doesn't foam up in your mouth, or have a minty taste.

So I looked up toothpowder - they sell it on Amazon. They claim it is becoming more popular because of travel restrictions these days. Also it seems they have it in lemon lime flavor (which is sort of intriguing). Any body have any experience with this stuff? Does it work? Does it foam?

I was just going through your thread again hunni, and thought of when I first started out my GP suggested CBT, and then I see letsconnect has mentioned it. Only thing is that when I saw my GP - being the NHS she did say that it wouldn't happen in time for me to start my treatment - so that for me at that time wasn't much help for me at that time :(

And then I have just remembered that many, many moons ago, my cousin's wife said that they were so poor when she was little, that they used to brush with salt on their brushes :o Now I can understand that the abrasive thing could maybe help, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one :confused::confused::confused:

You will get there in the end hunni, and we will be joining you along the way. I hope you manage to - if not overcome - but get to be able to live with this in a way that is least stressful for yourself.

Take care.

Kim

As far as I am aware it doesn't froth. If it isn't too expensive I would get some and try it. I would first check with your dentist that it is okay and won't do damage to your teeth. From what I can remember about it, I think it is quite abrasive. After saying this I think dentists use a powder to polish teeth.

Hopefully a dentist will jump in here and give you some information on the subject. I think it is harmless but I am not a dentist.

Best wishes to you, I hope this is the answer to your brushing fear. I think it is worth a try, as long as you dentist or one on here agree's that it is okay to use. :butterfly:

I would be interested myself to know more about the powder. I think I will have a look on Amazon and see what it says.

I have tried Eco-Dent brand tooth powder (alone and sprinkled on top of toothpaste), and it doesn't froth. One of its ingredients is baking soda, but brushing with Eco-Dent isn't as harsh as brushing with straight baking soda: straight baking soda actually works quite well on teeth, but is detrimentally abrasive to gum tissue.

Eco-Dent makes a lemon-lime "mint-free" flavor. I purchased Eco-Dent at my food co-op, but it can also be ordered online directly from the manufacturer.

Another product worth looking into would be GC Tooth Mousse (that's the name for it in the UK/Europe - in the US, it's called MI Paste).

I've tried the melon flavour and it tasted nice. Only problem is that it's hideously expensive. Think I bought it on amazon.

I still haven't plucked up the courage to visit a dentist, I need to get my teeth started on before December otherwise I will lose my job - I need to pass a medical in my line of work.
I think I am pretty desperate now - I live in the UK in Dover, I need to find a dentist and I need support - I'm terrified but I really don't want to lose my job.
I've looked at reviews of local Dentists that are accepting NHS patients on the NHS website, they're not great.
I've asked around noone can recommend. I think I would be prepared to travel if a dentist was prepared to take me on, be prepared to listen and be understanding. How long would it take from registering to getting my teeth at least started on? I mean I have about a month because I'm on holiday at the end of November.
I can't really afford to lose my job, but I have seriously considered just quitting to get out of going to the dentist, I've decided now that there is no point quitting to get out of it because job or no job it needs doing. Especially when the evil abscess kicks in.

Any dentists out there that are willing to help? I have family all over the country so I am prepared to travel. Anyone recommend their dentist?

HELP!!! desperate now.

Also want to say, this is what I use to brush my teeth, only when I feel at my strongest to do it - and still never when anyone is in the house. Like I say it does not taste anything like toothpaste, not even like the kiddies strawberry, or bubble gum ones. It's like unique and does actually have quite a pleasant taste once you're used to it - [broken link removed] I tried the lemon one and I hated it, it to me tasted like toothpaste again... I think I will cry if this stops being available because it's taken me 20 years to find it.

Sorry for making this into three posts,

I just wanted to add that I know I will be ok once I've found a dentist who will listen to me, and once s/he has looked in my mouth and told what I know I will be told but don't really want to be told that I have bad teeth especially for my age. I just need to break through the first hurdle then everything will be plain sailing, I have no fear of pain, or needles or anything like that... I just need someone who would be understanding.

I have to admit though, I have a saving grace - I do not have a sweet tooth, I add sugar to nothing, I never eat sweets, and dessert happens maybe once every two weeks for me. It's kept my teeth on the surface ok - I look like I'm maybe a smoker or recently given up, but hidden away with am open wider than a smile it's hideous.

I don't think we've had any recommendations for Dover yet - where else do you have family?

And thanks for the link to the special toothpaste flavours :)!

Hello again hunni

Would it be easier for you to say where you would be able to travel to in relation to distance from where you are. I am just a bit concerned that although you have family all over the country, if you need to make several trips, this will of course be over a matter of time, and may make things even more difficult for you, and that is another added stress that you don't need right now.

And I am glad you have reconsidered leaving your job. That wouldn't help matters really, and in some ways, with too much time on your hands, gives you too much time to think about things, and then that could lead to a downward spiral for you, which I would hate, so good on you for being positive about your job :)

I suppose I would travel anywhere in Kent, East Sussex and probably London as well, I drive so it isnt a big issue for me to get to places

I'm so glad I found this site. I have a fear of brushing my teeth always have. I also don't open mail. Thought I was a weirdo. Somehow they must be related. I am so ashamed and embarrassed by my teeth I have learnt to talk and smile without showing them. They keep falling out and am getting top all extracted under general surgery and having an immediate denture out in. This is too happen in 2 months. I can floss my teeth and sometimes I'll rub them with a towel but I can't bring myself to brush them. It's hard doing my kids teeth and it takes me a lot of courage but I will not let them end up with teeth like mine.

I'm not entirely sure why it started, but I think it was a toothpaste phobia when I was a child that just developed into a general phobia of brushing my teeth at all - I have to be honest I can't stand the taste! I think the reason why it has become such a huge phobia is because of the stigma and all the mocking I got as I was growing up from friends and family... it's become a deep psychological issue rather than just not doing it (which is what noone has understood).
If I was to go into a shop to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste - I'd feel highly nervous and embarressed and breakout in sweat - although I understand that it's a perfectly normal thing to do, I would rather buy KY Jelly.....

I don't know if this helps you or not. but if it is mainly the toothpaste and the taste of it that bothers you, it is perfectly ok to just brush with plain water. any dentist would tell you it is actually the brushing and not the toothpaste that is what is important. try using just a wet toothbrush with no paste at all.