• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am sick everytime I think of going to the dentist

Good for you, terrified.com! It makes all the difference in the world to have a dentist and team who cares enough to treat you the way yours did!

LEE.....I hope you find that kind of dentist to help you get past your fears. Do some research....make some calls....others here have even communicated thru email. Please post and let us know how it's going.

Sally

Dear friends

Thought Id update you on my dental appointment today. I went for my filling and scale and polish. I was ok up until Sunday when I started getting worried and then last night was in tears.. This morning I was worked up to hell (even thought of cancelling) but I went..

The second I walked in the dentist saw me, led me through and said she would be giving me an injection (she said last time that she wouldnt but thought that it would be best for me). She put some gel on my gums, and as I am a sever needle phobic I began getting worked up. She just told me to close my eyes.

After a few minutes she said the injection was over, I swear to God I didnt feel a thing. I had to ask her if she was joking. She said that she wasnt and laughed.

They then started with the scale and polish which wasnt the most pleasant thing in world, but only because I have sensitive teeth and sometimes she hit a sensitive spot. But it was all over and done with within ten minutes - AND ALL THE STAINING HAS GONE!!!!!!!!

I was so happy, but then started getting slightly worried about the filling. That was over and done with in a few minutes. I didnt feel a thing and I DIDNT GET WORKED UP AT ALL.

When it was over, we discuss the next appointment for next week which is bleaching and then root canal, then extraction. I am still very worried about the root and extraction, but if I dont feel the needle again like this time I hope everything will be ok.

I walked out ever the happy bunny. I smiled and couldnt believe how muchb brighter and nicer my smile looked!!! Honestly, I cant believe I found this dentist, she is so amazing. If anyone needs a dentist Cardiff let me know, she will be the one for you too!!!!

Thanks to al of you for all your support, Ill continue to update you on my progress, I only hope my positive experiences help others. Its so important to find a kind and caring dentist. Dont get me worng, there were tears, I never would have gone alone (I had my best friend as my fiance had to work in London) but I am so glad I went.

Tonight, he is taking me out for a meal, and I am going to open my mouth and smile for the cameras!!

xxx

oh and by the way, i was meant to have two fillings today. She only did one, took a proper look at the other with some blue light thing, and said, that she wasnt going to fill it, she was going to watch it. She said that it was good strong healthy tooth!!!!!xxx

That's fantastic! You did great! :jump:

You should be very proud of yourself. The rest should go just as easily, especially with a great dentist like you've found.

Have a great evening out and celebrate your success! :cheers:

:yay::yay:WOOHOO! :yay::yay:

That's fantastic! You've made a big step. Congratulations.

Well guys I have to say thank you so much to all of you who have helped me through my dental phobia.

Since I last wrote on this thread Id had my filling done. Since then I have had my teeth bleached, extraction and root canal. So all in all after years and years and years of not going to the dentist I had to have my first ever filling, one extraction of back molar and a root canal. I xcreid with the last two but my dentist was holding my head, rubbing my shoulders, rubbing my forhead and always making sure that im ok. I swear she is the best dentist walking this earth. She even paid for me to have a luxury spray tan from a top salon as a wedding present, and for being so brave. All the staff have been wonderful, absolutely amazing, from front desk staff to the dentist herself. Everytime I walked in on my own they would clap and say how proud they were of me.

I am now happily married (i smiled like a maniac on my wedding day), going back for a 6 month checkup next month (no anxiety here!) and I am just so grateful to all of you guys and my wonderful family for such amazing support.

I finally feel normal, I dont feel that anxiety anymore, I dont feel conscious of smiling...and most importantly, my teeth and dental fear doesnt consume my life. I just get on with it and live life to the full, and i want to cuddle anyone that feels that dread that I used to.

I know that it wont be plain sailing - I will always be nervous getting into that chair..but its that ' nobody likes going to the dentist, rather do anything else...' feeling rather than the cold sweat, vomiting, fainting all consuming fear I used to have. I keep forgetting I have a check up coming up!! I wouldve been counting the seconds this time last year!

Thank you all for everything youve done for me - I appreciate it so much. You are absolutely wonderful people.

xxx

Hi Terrified,
You asked about extractions. I have had 3 of them and will have a 4th on Monday. Like so many others here, I understand your fear. My hisband has had to deal with lots of crying and hysteria with me as I have been traveling along my dental journey.
The experience of extraction is perhaps different for me than others because I had IV sedation for the 3 I had last summer and will do the same for the one on Monday. The oral surgeon and I agreed that given my history of dental trauma, this was the best way to go. After I woke up and the drugs wore off, the extraction sites were painful but not unbearably so and the oral surgeon had given me some pain medication which I took for about 4 days and then I no longer needed it. The sites healed over in about 4-6 weeks and I never had any problems with them.
Hope maybe that helps a little

Hi Terrified,
You asked about extractions. I have had 3 of them and will have a 4th on Monday. Like so many others here, I understand your fear. My hisband has had to deal with lots of crying and hysteria with me as I have been traveling along my dental journey.
The experience of extraction is perhaps different for me than others because I had IV sedation for the 3 I had last summer and will do the same for the one on Monday. The oral surgeon and I agreed that given my history of dental trauma, this was the best way to go. After I woke up and the drugs wore off, the extraction sites were painful but not unbearably so and the oral surgeon had given me some pain medication which I took for about 4 days and then I no longer needed it. The sites healed over in about 4-6 weeks and I never had any problems with them.
Hope maybe that helps a little

Drummerswife, I think if you check out the dates on the thread and read it all through, you'll see terrified.com is through it all and out the other end.;)

Well done terrified.com! Glad you came through - what a transformation in attitude!

:jump::yay::jump::yay::jump:

Congratulations!! On your new smile AND getting married. I think a smiley wedding photo would be just the ticket about now, don't you? ;)

Thank you SO much for posting and updating us. I'm so glad to read of your success and I can just imagine how much better your life must be.

:grouphug:

terrified . com

Can you forward the name of the dentist you used please

Back