• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need some support

I have't posted for ages, had about 3 appointments since I was on here last. Been fitted for dentures which wasn't particularly pleasant but it's done now.

The teeth at the front keep staining up because I smoke. I'm planning on stopping tonight (been reading the Allen Carr Easyway book, two chapters to go and I'm a non-smoker).

I am getting knocked out tomorrow and extractions are beig done. I still feel calm at the moment, I'm more worried about speaking funny than anything else.

Just wondered how long it took people to talk, the dentures are all my back top ones tomorrow, when I tried them on the other day she said they were loose and that when I have them I'm to use adhesive (lots of), would this have been the reason I was talking funny or is it normal not to speak right at first?

I can cope with pain, and I'm all psyched up for the appointment, especially after reading psots on here that say a long time feels like a few minutes.

Hello :)

Good luck for tomorrow. This is my first time reading your story and I hope you know just how brave I think you are. Im sure a lot of people are reading and thinking this too. It seems like you have came such a long way. It is a hard road but just imagining the finishing line must be great.
I have only had my initial appointment with my dentist last week but, a bit like you I almost feel a bit excited to get my treatment underway. Funny isnt it? I think once you know everything is going to be okay in the end, you just want to get it started.
anyway, I hope it goes well tomorrow. let us know how it gets on :)

I did it - and overhalfway through my treatment now

Have to say that it was my most enjoyable vistit yet! They decided to take out all the roots on one side this time and the rest on my appointmet at the end of the month. After they took my blood pressure, they put the needle thing in my arm, pumped the IV stuff in and the next I knew I was waking up.

Got a prescription for painkillers and antibiotics, still bleeding slightly but I guess that is the healing process. Had a headache some time after but it's cleared now.

AND, as a bonus they removed all the stains that had built up so front teeth white again (have't quite stopped smoking yet but had a total of four all day, whereas normally I'd be chain smoking on a day like this).

Back on another high now! :yay:

Last edited:
Must be getting over my phobia, actually had a conversation with my husband tonight that involved my teeth!

I was explaining about how the front ones keep staining and he reckons I'd be better off just having them all out, dentures in as he then thinks i will smile again.

I have to say I am thinking about it, but I'm scared of what I'd look like when I had to take the dentures out.

Jaw is aching now, and I can't take anymore pain killers until 1 o'clock, feels like it's brusied, but nothing on the pain I used to suffer by any means.

Hi, this has been great to read through.. I'm glad that you're getting over your fear. It's inspirational to read about. :)

Hey "Petrified": As I was reading your posts, it felt like I was reading my own mind. Your thoughts are my thoughts! I am 40 with a mouth full of rotten teeth and terrified of the dentist--terrified that he/she will ridicule me and terrified of the pain afterwards!
If you only knew how similar our stories you would be gasping as I am this very moment!! My fear of the dentist started at an early age with a school dentist who use to yell at the students if we got upset in his chair! Well, that phobia has followed me into my adult years and my teeth are awful.
I also have a son on the autism spectrum (he is 11) but, unlike you, I am the total opposite when it comes to HIS dental care. I've faithfully taken him twice a year for cleanings since he was 3 years old. I don't EVER want my son to develop a fear of the dentist as I did.
Know what is sad? When I look through all my photo albums, there isn't a single picture of me smiling where my teeth are showing. Anytime I do smile, it is always with closed lips so that nobody can see my teeth. I hate living this way!
My husband has been wonderful with my dental phobia and I know he will always support me. Of course, he has perfect teeth and no dental phobia so it's easy for him (ha-ha).
I would love to chat with you further----here is my personal e-mail address, so drop me a note when you get a chance. ([email protected])

Just reading the previous post from Milliejansen. I too have nearly the same story. Horrible childhood experience. I was 5 and the dentist did 5 2 fillings and an extraction but he didn't make sure I was numb. I sobbed and he fetched my mom but they told her I was just making a fuss.

I finally went this year at the age of 40; and my hubby's been great too AND he's got good teeth and no phobia.

The help we're all getting from this forum is just vital. It's just so great that some of us can even THINK about making an appointment

I've got my next clean in 5 weeks. I think I've done pretty well - hardly any build up of plaque so far but I'm still starting to panic a little bit. Worse thing is that I've got to do a 10 minute presentation the same week so nerves are going to be jangling. Everything think of me on the week beginning the 17th - the Sunday before will be the worst - waiting for the appointment!

Right, I'm back. I feel nervous again, and I've read my post about how easy the extractions were, so why am I so nervous about tomorrow morning?

I think I'm scared about the dentures, I think they'll be putting them in tomorrow and I'm panicking about not being able to talk (I can cope without eating for a couple fo days), but I'm scared I'll talk funny.

What a morning! 8am appintment and I get out of my bed at twenty two, got dreassed and ran out the door. Just made it there on time. He only took out the top left this time, not the bottom and nodentures were put in of which I was grateful.
I don't remember most of it I'mm still druged up as I write this.
I began to wake uptowards the end but what they were doing was vague.
So I'm back in on monday for another appointmentm more fillings , those I am seriosly considering getting the front ones out. THey just keep staining, though nowhere as quickly as they used to.