• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apicoectomy- questions...

05mommy09

So after years of fear of the dentist, I slowly started taking care of some problems last year...

I started with having 4 impacted wisdom teeth, and 3 molars extracted (all at once). I was asleep and had an excellent oral surgeon. Recovery wasnt too bad, def. managed with pain meds.

Next up was a root canal (this was in September)...I was sent to an endontist whom I was less than thrilled with. It took alot to numb me, but once I was "really" numb- the experience wasnt too bad.

Days after the root canal, I found out I was pregnant and was waiting to finish with the cap and crown.

In January the tooth started really hurting me... I saw my regular dentist who took an x-ray and at the time didnt see an infection. She basically said it seemed that my gums were irritated by some food that was stuck, and advised to finish with cap and crown.

2 weeks later a HUGE abscess appeared... after another x-ray, it was determined that there was an infection and that I needed an apicoectomy. (Not abscess did pop about 2 weeks later and is now gone, and I have no pain)

I went back to the same oral surgeon who did my extractions last year, and he gave me 2 options apico or extraction but urged me to save the tooth.

Tomorrow is my appointment for the apico and Im so nervous... Because Im pregnant being put under is not an option AND I will need to recieve epinephrine free (sp?) novacaine (which I have read is not as strong).

The thought of being awake is soo scary to me, I dont know what to expect, what I will feel- and since I have anxiety issues to begin with- I fear have a panic attack in the chair...

Please share your experiences.... During as well as recovery.

The oral surgeon says it should not take longer than 15 min.

I wish I could wait until after I deliver my baby, so I could be put to sleep. But my dentist, surgeon and OB have urged me to take care of it now, since having an infection can be very dangerous to myself as well as my baby!

hey 05mommy09

i have not had the procedure you are talking about but i have been awake for every procedure i have had done and isn't too bad, yes there is the whole "someone standing over me" but there will be no pain obviously and any time you want them to stop you just put your hand up, the main thing you have to do is try and keep yourself calm for the baby, the dentist is doing the same thing in a way by not risking putting you under, do you have someone who could do with you and talk to you to try keep you calmer? i had my mum when i had my first extraction (wide awake wisdom tooth extraction) and it did help even though i think i almost broke a few fingers! as far as i am aware the treatment is just an "upgraded" version of a root canal which you have had done before so in a way you know what to expect but the upside is you know how much it took to numb you up so you can go through all that BEFORE they start, my dentist likes to feel about and touch my gums with things before she starts to see if i can feel it first and when i can't she gets to work

good luck for tomorrow just keep thinking about the beautiful baby you are going to have :)

Back