• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth abscess before and after root canal

T

thumbelinasplace

I had an abscess on my upper right middle tooth and the dentist started a root canal on it, since than my face has swelled up somewhat,nothing noticeable, but I notice it. Before I had this root canal I was on two different antibotics that didn't work, now they gave me antibotics again and they are not working. I am supposed to go back on Tuesday to finish this root canal, what now? Will they have to pull it? Should I be really worried because this infection or abscess won't clear up?

Hi there,
Root canal is usually very successful and particularly in front teeth because they usually have have single and relatively uncomplicated roots. Your swelling is likely some continuing inflammation but that would not be unusual at this point in the procedure.
Mention your difficulty to your dentist at the next visit and see how things will proceed.
Worry is something that can only happen when we are trying to predict a future event and of course none of us can do that. Allow yourself to take the attitude that you will take each step as it comes and that you will take whatever action is appropriate at each step.
Allow yourself to take the attitude that there is always something that can be done but that you will take the simplest and easiest steps first and follow it that way.
This attitude makes worry redundant as you deal with what presents itself when it presents, i.e. crosses bridges when you come to them.
Hope that helps
Best
Philip.

Shouldn't the swelling have gone down yet since I am on an antibiotic? It's been three days since I have been on them. It's not my front tooth it is toward the back. I went from just needing a filling which I had done, then a abscess which I didn't have to begin with, so they gave me antibiotics that didn't work, so they gave me another one that didn't work also. I went back and they took whatever out of my tooth and put another one in, but I am not sure what it was. So now my face is swollen when it wasn't to begin with. He than gave me another antibiotic which is not working either. I am supposed to go back on Tuesday to finish the root canal.

Last edited:
Apologies, I took a middle tooth to be a central incisor or front tooth. Root canal work can be more complex in the back regions, particularly the molars which can have a number of roots and canals. I understand more clearly now.
Basically your problems are seeming to get worse with treatment and worse still not responding to the various antibiotics. This may indeed relate to a difficulty with the root canal work. You are entitled to information on what is happening.
Ask the dentist what exactly is happening and get a detailed explanation of what is being attempted and how the procedure is going. Is there a difficulty with any of the canals? If so what is it?
I think there is a need for more info which you should have by Tuesday and we can take it from there. Maybe you could get to see the dentist tomorrow just to get some clarity on what is happening.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Best of luck,
Philip.

Most likely they will not be completing the root canal especially with swelling present. They may have to try a larger dose of antibiotic or a change or combination of them if things are not improving. Some infections can be quite nasty and can be quite persistent even with the best medicine. Hopefully they will be able to find a solution for you.

Back