• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to death of extractions!!

L

LD724

I went today to a new dsentist who specializes in patients with fears. I was having some pain on the lower right sideand she informed that I need the pull it. I thought maybe I could have gotten a RC, but she says there is too much decay. I have already had 2 teeth pulled in the past with IV sedation. Even though it wasn't too bad previously, I am so scared.

I have zero tolerance for pain and I am scared of needles, being put out, etc. I want to have a healthy mouth, but I always wait too long when a simple procedure needs to be done and then it's so far gone, I need extractions done. I have my appt. for the oral surgeon this friday, but only for a consult. I think all in all, I need 7teeth pulled!

Don't worry, extractions aren't as bad as you would think. I'm needle phobic too and I don't find dentist injections too bad at all. If you have a good dentist, you'll hardly feel it. I've had wisdom teeth out by oral surgeon with only anti-anxiety medication. It wasn't bad at all! Good luck, you can do it!

Within the last few months I have had six extractions. I did not have sedation or gas...just numbing.

As I told my dentist, I would rather have an extraction than a filling. It is easier and quicker.

While I am not afraid of needles, I do not like hands in my mouth. Extractions takes minutes as in about three or four, and fillings take twice as long.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only fully paid-up member of the extraction-phobics club. I know exactly where you are with this one and I'm due to have just one out and the thoughts are driving me crazy. In my case, I'm down to have IV as that's the only way its coming out, other than GA.

I can't offer much in the way of advice here, but you are definatly not alone and I'll be thinking of you and do let us know how it all goes. :thumbsup:

Good luck!!

So I went today to the Oral surgeon....way more then I wanted to hear. I told him to slow down b/c I have to take things one step at a time. Even this moalr that I need to have remmoved is in front of the impacted wisdom, so that too has to be removed at the same time.....he was talking about bone graphs, etc....He said recovery will take about a week. I have 2 kids to take care of....I told him I don't like to take painmedications which I didn't even take with childbirth and he advised that I would have to b/c I wouldn't be able to tolerate the pain afterwards!! Nice...now what? How am I suppsoed to even bring myself to go back? Way too much for me to absorb all at once....:censored:

How am I suppsoed to even bring myself to go back? Way too much for me to absorb all at once....:censored:

By reminding yourself that the more you wait, the worse it will get.

As for pain meds, not everyone needs them. I have had six teeth extracted and one was impacted. I can only remember taking some Motrin for pain at most. Never did I use anything stronger. The pain I had from my infected tooth a couple of months ago was much much worse than any pain from extractions...even the impacted wisdom tooth.

Of course yours may be different, but the dentists in all cases said that I would need pain meds due to the pain. If you went through childbirth with nothing, then I think you can coax yourself through the after pain of the extractions. Even if you need an occasional pain med, remember...YOU control how much you take.

I had four children and used no pain meds whatsoever, so there might be a connection.

Oh wait, I am the father...I am not supposed to need any. ;D Although I could have used some Motrin for my squeezed hand. :o

My wife only had a little pain med for one birth. She was quite the trooper...if I might brag a minute. :-*

hey i agree with notaloneisee i had a wisdom tooth extracted and i hate any type of pain in my mouth i don't know why other pain im fine in my mouth i panic lol but all i took was some over the counter paracetamol, the first night after my extraction i took 2 every 4 hours like it says on the box and 2 when i got up the next day but after that i only took one as it was just a dull throb i had it was nothing like i thought i would have, i was convinced i would be lying in the foetal position wishing to die from the pain! (yeh im a fool lol) i suppose in a sense it depends on your pain threshold too and if you didnt have any pain meds with childbirth i would say it is pretty high

Within the last few months I have had six extractions. I did not have sedation or gas...just numbing.

As I told my dentist, I would rather have an extraction than a filling. It is easier and quicker.

While I am not afraid of needles, I do not like hands in my mouth. Extractions takes minutes as in about three or four, and fillings take twice as long.

Is this typically true? Extractions are easier than fillings? I have no problems with fillings,but I am dreading wisdom teeth extraction.....

Is this typically true? Extractions are easier than fillings? I have no problems with fillings,but I am dreading wisdom teeth extraction.....

I think extractions are way easier than fillings. They're a lot quicker, too ;D

I was petrified of extractions too after having a real bad experience years and years ago. I wouldn't have one done unless I was put to sleep, no exceptions. I cracked a tooth last year and the new dentist I have doesn't offer IV, but he gave me Xanax. Well, I was so keyed up that weekend and the Monday I had it done the Xanax didn't take. Then they whip out the novocaine needles and I felt the tears welling up and my stomach getting weak. Well, after all that stress I brought on myself it wasn't that bad at all. I had a bunch of novocaine shots, and honestly I didn't really feel them. Had 4 stitches too; I even watched him pulling the needle & stitching in & out, which was HUGE for me. Next morning I had a little pain rinsing with salt water, but that was it. Now I know if I have to do it again, it will be ok. I think a filling does take longer, too. I agree with that. If you have a good dentist and especially if he knows you are a "phobe", you'll be ok. I never thought I would get through that experience as well as I did.:yay:

I was as you are before I had them pulled.

The sleepless nights I endured. The lack of interest in food and fun activities. All because the scary word "extractions." It even has an ominous sound to it.

But when it came down to the actual procedures, as Gorehound said, "I never thought I would get through that experience as well as I did."

Actually, I never thought I would even get THROUGH the experience. :scared: But I did. :jump:

I was as you are before I had them pulled.

The sleepless nights I endured. The lack of interest in food and fun activities. All because the scary word "extractions." It even has an ominous sound to it.

But when it came down to the actual procedures, as Gorehound said, "I never thought I would get through that experience as well as I did."

Actually, I never thought I would even get THROUGH the experience. :scared: But I did. :jump:

That's reassuring. I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth removed and two of them are impacted. I ca't sleep, eat or drink for anything. And I'm typically not scared of the dentist!

That's reassuring. I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth removed and two of them are impacted. I can't sleep, eat or drink for anything. And I'm typically not scared of the dentist!
Well, the two non-impacted ones are most likely simple extractions. They will be out in minutes. My three wisdom teeth that were simple extractions took literally two minutes a piece.

My one impacted wisdom tooth taken out over twenty years ago took longer...it was probably about ten to fifteen minutes max from beginning to stitches.

Really if I had only known how easy the extractions would be, then I would have had a lot less stress. Actually, my last extraction which was in January was relaxing. I knew what to expect and did not stress. I even enjoyed going to the dentist that day. Seriously.

Yeah my two impacted are at least showing a little so they're not completely impacted. I opted to have all of them taken out via local anesthesia. Maybe I'll tell them to start on the top ones to get me warmed up.:giggle:

Back