• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

scared and embarrassed

Thanks again Brit. I feel some relief knowing that rct can be sensitive after. I think i had convinced myself that something had gone wrong. I've been too scared to look it up on the internet incase i stumble across a horror story.

Glad to hear about the numbing too, i think as soon as the dentist says hi how are you, i shall reply with a fine thanks as long as you numb me.

Thankyou Holly too, it does help a great deal knowing that some one is listening to me get things off my chest.

I am just about to set off now, and hope i can come on here afterwards and be able to say i did it again. :)

Thanks again Brit. I feel some relief knowing that rct can be sensitive after. I think i had convinced myself that something had gone wrong. I've been too scared to look it up on the internet incase i stumble across a horror story.

Glad to hear about the numbing too, i think as soon as the dentist says hi how are you, i shall reply with a fine thanks as long as you numb me.

Great you got the message in time. At least (unlike some others) you've got an NHS dentist willing to do restorative work and not just suggesting extraction all the time...(although I note extraction was offered if you felt you couldn't cope - it has so many downsides longterm, I really wish people had to sign consent forms prior to extractions). :grouphug:

Thanks to the support on here i made it there again. I had decided to have a mental image in my mind of being able to smile at some one and say hello, should i start to waver whilst sat in the chair. But i never got that far ...

The first thing i mentioned was the sensitivity in one of the teeth, so he had a look and decided to give me a weeks course of penicillin. He asked me to book another appointment next tuesday, again at 12:30, so i am guessing he is going with your principle that he doesn't have to rush for the next patient. He wanted things to settle a bit more and also showed me where he was going to do the two injections next time (without me asking), which are at the front rather than the palet.

One thing i did notice today was that he must be really confident in his work because not once while i've been in the waiting room or inside the room itself has he closed the door!! It's always left a quarter open

oh heck ... now i know why i chose that name!

I know its late and no one is here, but i was just brushing my teeth before bed and one of the temporary fillings just fell out, i can feel it's structually there at the back with my tongue.but the entire front bit has gone. I have some temp filling material at home from when my son lost his filling and was wondering if i could stick this in??
I wish i had my temp crowns done today, but everything seems to be going wrong for me

Phone dentist tomorrow - they'll quickly put some more in for you...between patients if necessary. Well done for going today :grouphug:

Hi again.

It has been a couple of weeks since i last wrote on here, i had my second stage of rct last week and temporary crowns fitted. My dentist also drilled and temporary filled my remaining problem front tooth at the same time. I had impressions taken and have an appointment tomorrow for my crowns fitted.

Here's my worry bit, i didn't react too kindly to having the injections last week and wanted to know if i will be injected again to have the temp crowns removed and permanent ones fitted? I have so many doubts in my head right now and am seriously contemplating just keeping the temp crowns in.

My rational self has looked back over my posts and sees that my fears before have been unfounded. But the phobic side of me is taking over again and over ruling. I feel like phoning up in the morning and making some excuse to postpone, but at the same time am also thinking this time tomorrow i could actually have teeth to smile with.

It's not always necessary to use numbing once the roots have been successfully removed, however, depending on the circumstances, it can be more comfortable. I don't know what happened the last time, but did you let your dentist know which aspect/s of the injection you weren't too happy about? If you experienced pain, maybe leaving the numbing gel (topical anaesthetic) on for longer would help. It sounds from your post as if their injection technique last time round wasn't good :(. Do let them know about this, otherwise there is no incentive for them to improve their technique!

Wishing you all the best for your appointment today/tomorrow :thumbsup: (not sure which - it's always confusing with all the different time zones!!)

Hi yet again,

I just wanted you to know that i did read your post before i went again. It's just a little hard for me to log in on a shared computer and risk being seen by people who i don't want to know of my ordeal.

I have never had or been offered a numbing gel so maybe thats why i find the injections hard. I can't believe that i now would actually prefer sitting through two consecutive rct's than have an injection. But i did it ~ again!
I had three injections this time wich my dentist did very slowly as i told him how much discomfort i was in before. Still not nice though, i was laid out on the chair with tears rolling.

I just want to add at this point people may read this, like i have in the past, and intensify their fear. But when i look at it objectively, if i pinch the back of my hand hard for 5 seconds it equates to the same pain, but when i let go of my hand i still hurt where as with an injection its numb.

Anyways, i was so hoping to come on here and be able to turn my support story into a journal and then a success one, but... when my dentist removed the very front temporary crown my tooth cracked somehow, so i have two good permanant crowns and one fitted with temporary adhesive? I have to go back next week for some kind of metal post fitted to make it stick properly. But omg! do they look good. they were made a couple of shades lighter so i could whiten my natural teeth to match and now i find i'm altering my wonky smile the other way to hide the teeth i once showed off.
And now for the reason i'm still in the support forum, my dentist told me he is also going to start work on the big guys at the back, it feels like a different league. Back teeth have in relation to front a bigger surface and inner area and i am so scared that i am going to feel something when he starts drilling. If my very front tooth was stuck on for good i know i would cut my losses and run right now.

Congratulations again :jump: - you did it :respect:!!!

Maybe he's not using numbing gel because it takes longer? (they're under a lot of time pressure with NHS targets to be met :(). Though there's nothing to stop you from asking about it - it does sound as if he's listening and taking your comments on board :). It would be really sad if you felt you couldn't go through with treatment just because you cannot avail of comfortable injections. Your other alternative would be to find a private dentist who can give comfortable injections, if this is feasible financially?

Great to hear that the crowns look so good :yay:!