Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gum overgrown broken off tooth.

Default Gum overgrown broken off tooth.

Hi there, this is my first post in this forum, however I do know how to use forums. I'm not sure if there's a post out there like my one, but i'm worried.

The other year half of my tooth randomly broke off while I was eating, then a few months later the rest of that broke off. So, there I was with no tooth, but parts of it are still in my gum. Last year, while I was using some mouthwash to rinse some 'food' from inside the gap in the broken off tooth... however, it wasn't a piece of food, it was some gum! It had started to grow through the gap of my tooth. Since then, it's overlapped quiet a lot and there's a little overgrowth at the side, but not all that much. There's also a nasty distinct smell coming from it, depsite cleaning it everyday, sometimes twice.

I'm really scared because I'd only just got used to dentists just under 3 years ago, due to an amazing new dentist. But I no longer have a dentist and that 'amazing' dentist won't take me back to their practice due to two non cancelled appointments (i was ill both times, not my fault)

when i saw a dentist last year, they said they'd have to cut into the gum and this scared me to death, i don't like anyone invading my mouth.

It's not been too bad at all, apart from this morning.. it's starting to hurt quite a lot if i touch the inside of it. It even hurts when I eat, too, due to my tongue rubbing against it.

My teeth aren't all that perfect at all, I have a horrid underbite and i'm missing two teeth, one on each side of my two front teeth, on the top jaw.

Please help.

thank you.

Default Re: Gum overgrown broken off tooth.

What's the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
      What's the question?
      sorry, i forgot to say. I just need advice about it and what can I do?

Oh OK, try grovelling like mad to the dentist that you liked, offer to pay up front for your next appointment.

Hi, about this tooth of mine, I posted about this on yahoo answers and some of the answers really scared me. Most of the replies back said I can get a load of serious problems if I leave it and not get the tooth removed... problems like blood poisoning, problems with jaw, head nauseia and even heart problems. Please tell me this is just a tactic to scare me .. it's really scaring me

I just had two of these "cut out" last week. I would suggest going to an oral surgeon. Just a little Novocaine, and he had it right out. It took about 35 seconds for each one, and there was no cutting involved. If you leave it, you could develop problems...I put off dental work for 10 years, so now I've had 4 extractions and a root canal in the past few months. The root extractions were the easiest of them all. I'm extremely scared of the dentist, but I could do that every day...

If you are numb which you will be, it makes no difference whether the gum needs to be opened up a little or not...leaving it is definitely the worst option.
      Why not just find another nice dentist and in future offer to pay if you break appointments (for whatever reason) with insufficient notice..dentists are running a business, so are sensitive to 'no shows' or at least ones who do not pay for the lost time slot.

Find yourself a kind, competent dentist, get yourself fixed up, then attend regularly and you won't ever look back...
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

Thank you for your thoughts

it's putting me at ease somewhat now. Because, where that tooth is that the root needs to be removed, there's quite a lot of gum over it now.. what would they do with the gum? Do you think it would bleed a lot? I think I'm going to go when I have a sunday off because there's an emergency surgery and it's only open on sundays
      of which I work.

What would they do with the gum?
      Shove it out of the way mainly. It won't bleed particularly badly.

I would hesitate about going to an emergency Sunday dentist, you're not likely to find somebody with much spare time or empathy under those circumstances, it's also not exactly an emergency if you're planning to go in advance is it?

Ah okay, I was slightly worried that it would bleed quite a lot.

I've yet to find a dentist, but I'm going to call up my old one tomorrow and see if they'll let me have a check-up and I'll pay them if need be. The main thing i'm worried about is what answers I got when I put about this on yahoo!, everyone said I could get head infections such as nausea etc. Heart problems and even blood poisoning. I've not been able to rest at night because of this, is this true? Could I actually get those side effects?