• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum overgrown broken off tooth.

• Thread starter ElectroFlamingo
  • Start date
E

ElectroFlamingo

Hi there, this is my first post in this forum, however I do know how to use forums. I'm not sure if there's a post out there like my one, but i'm worried.

The other year half of my tooth randomly broke off while I was eating, then a few months later the rest of that broke off. So, there I was with no tooth, but parts of it are still in my gum. Last year, while I was using some mouthwash to rinse some 'food' from inside the gap in the broken off tooth... however, it wasn't a piece of food, it was some gum! It had started to grow through the gap of my tooth. Since then, it's overlapped quiet a lot and there's a little overgrowth at the side, but not all that much. There's also a nasty distinct smell coming from it, depsite cleaning it everyday, sometimes twice.

I'm really scared because I'd only just got used to dentists just under 3 years ago, due to an amazing new dentist. But I no longer have a dentist and that 'amazing' dentist won't take me back to their practice due to two non cancelled appointments (i was ill both times, not my fault) :(

when i saw a dentist last year, they said they'd have to cut into the gum and this scared me to death, i don't like anyone invading my mouth.

It's not been too bad at all, apart from this morning.. it's starting to hurt quite a lot if i touch the inside of it. It even hurts when I eat, too, due to my tongue rubbing against it.

My teeth aren't all that perfect at all, I have a horrid underbite and i'm missing two teeth, one on each side of my two front teeth, on the top jaw.

Please help.

thank you.

:hidesbehindsofa:

What's the question?

Oh OK, try grovelling like mad to the dentist that you liked, offer to pay up front for your next appointment.

Hi, about this tooth of mine, I posted about this on yahoo answers and some of the answers really scared me. Most of the replies back said I can get a load of serious problems if I leave it and not get the tooth removed... problems like blood poisoning, problems with jaw, head nauseia and even heart problems. Please tell me this is just a tactic to scare me .. it's really scaring me :(

:hidesbehindsofa:

I just had two of these "cut out" last week. I would suggest going to an oral surgeon. Just a little Novocaine, and he had it right out. It took about 35 seconds for each one, and there was no cutting involved. If you leave it, you could develop problems...I put off dental work for 10 years, so now I've had 4 extractions and a root canal in the past few months. The root extractions were the easiest of them all. I'm extremely scared of the dentist, but I could do that every day...

If you are numb which you will be, it makes no difference whether the gum needs to be opened up a little or not...leaving it is definitely the worst option.
Why not just find another nice dentist and in future offer to pay if you break appointments (for whatever reason) with insufficient notice..dentists are running a business, so are sensitive :mad: to 'no shows' or at least ones who do not pay for the lost time slot.

Find yourself a kind, competent dentist, get yourself fixed up, then attend regularly and you won't ever look back...:grouphug:

Thank you for your thoughts :)

it's putting me at ease somewhat now. Because, where that tooth is that the root needs to be removed, there's quite a lot of gum over it now.. what would they do with the gum? Do you think it would bleed a lot? I think I'm going to go when I have a sunday off because there's an emergency surgery and it's only open on sundays :(
of which I work.

What would they do with the gum?
Shove it out of the way mainly. It won't bleed particularly badly.

I would hesitate about going to an emergency Sunday dentist, you're not likely to find somebody with much spare time or empathy under those circumstances, it's also not exactly an emergency if you're planning to go in advance is it?

Ah okay, I was slightly worried that it would bleed quite a lot.

I've yet to find a dentist, but I'm going to call up my old one tomorrow and see if they'll let me have a check-up and I'll pay them if need be. The main thing i'm worried about is what answers I got when I put about this on yahoo!, everyone said I could get head infections such as nausea etc. Heart problems and even blood poisoning. I've not been able to rest at night because of this, is this true? Could I actually get those side effects?

hi!!! i have read some of the same things online and they too scared me greatley. I wonder the same thing i mean, the things i have read are horrid that is what keeps me from going period. i dont want to go and have some one tell me there is no hope OR i have an infection that has spread to my brain and have to have brain surgery or some type of facial surgery.. i just have major anxiety with this whole dental area!!!!! i wish you luck though

These things are theoretically possible, but then I'm theoretically possibly going to get a date with Scarlett Johanson. It's not likely to happen though, is it? :)

Observers of my contributions here may see a trend... bordering on obsession :)

Dreaming again Gordon? lol

Okay, so I went to the emergency dentist today, as I've been getting toothache almost every night for the past week or so. The other friday evening, well, early morning around 1:43am, I woke up with the most horrid pain i've had in quite some time. Both my upper and lower jaw were throbbing in pain on my right hand side and I got really warm. I had no painkillers in the house, bar some paracetamol & codine tablets which i've never really taken before. I just needed to get rid of it and so I took half of one of those..

anyway, I went to the dentist today and they were horrid :( He said I had a hole in one of my teeth, which is why I was getting a toothache. He gave me a jab and the novacain didn't kick in all that fast at all, they started to drill, i raised my hand for him to stop, so he gave me another injection... started to drill again.. it was still hurting. So, he stopped and gave me another injection. The nurse in with him said for me to go and sit in the waiting room for it to kick in, so I did. About 10 minutes later, I went back in.. and they started drilling at my tooth.. it was really killing me, so they gave me a 'more stronger dose of novacain' but direct into my tooth. I'm a little scared as the nurse said it wasn't working as the infection in the tooth was counter-acting with what they were giving me. (I said this to my step dad and he said they can't work on an infection as the poison could get into my bloodstream and kill me.) But I think it was just some bullshit story she was saying that it wasn't working.... I hope. I don't want to die :( but it was painful. The dentist was rude and mean. And dismissed me quickly after he had finished. I was in tears and almost crushed my friends hand while she was holding my hand.

:shame:

I'm sorry the dentist was rude to you. What the nurse told you was true, infections neutralise local anaesthetics so you have to put extra in when there's infection present.

You're Step Dad's talking rubbish and you're not in any danger of dying, unless his driving's as bad as his medical knowledge :)

aww is not right what the dentist said, if you cant get numb, you cant get numb thats it, he should understand that with infection its hard to get numb, after all he is a dentist and even without infection its sometimes difficult to get numb as a lot of people on here have mentioned. What did he do to your tooth. Did he do anything or do you have to wait till infection cleared. Hope things go well.

Ahh, few. I was worried that I was going to get poison in my blood.

Well, he put a temporary filling on my tooth, but he also got some of it on the tooth to the left hand side of it. I've been having a niggling feeling in my tooth, but not the one he did work on, but two teeth across to the left. I've taken some neurofen about 20 minutes ago, but it hasn't worked at the moment, it only got rid of my headache.

I still need to register with a dentist, but I have no idea which ones are taking on patients right now :(

Oh, I'm so sorry that emergency room denists treated you so poorly! I am thinking you are in the UK? I'm in the US so don't have a clue how to help you find a dentist in your area that is taking on new patients, can anyone on this post help this person? I have a big fear of dentists, but with some shopping and reading others posts of doctors locally I found a good dentist and Endo (I need a root canal) that respects my anxiety. Please continue to find yourself a dentist, and I agree, go begging back to your original one that you liked. Keep posting what happens. You've pretty much just experienced a big fear of mine, anthesthesia not working! My fingers are :thumbsup: for you.

Okay, so I went to the emergency dentist today, as I've been getting toothache almost every night for the past week or so. The other friday evening, well, early morning around 1:43am, I woke up with the most horrid pain i've had in quite some time. Both my upper and lower jaw were throbbing in pain on my right hand side and I got really warm. I had no painkillers in the house, bar some paracetamol & codine tablets which i've never really taken before. I just needed to get rid of it and so I took half of one of those..

anyway, I went to the dentist today and they were horrid :( He said I had a hole in one of my teeth, which is why I was getting a toothache. He gave me a jab and the novacain didn't kick in all that fast at all, they started to drill, i raised my hand for him to stop, so he gave me another injection... started to drill again.. it was still hurting. So, he stopped and gave me another injection. The nurse in with him said for me to go and sit in the waiting room for it to kick in, so I did. About 10 minutes later, I went back in.. and they started drilling at my tooth.. it was really killing me, so they gave me a 'more stronger dose of novacain' but direct into my tooth. I'm a little scared as the nurse said it wasn't working as the infection in the tooth was counter-acting with what they were giving me. (I said this to my step dad and he said they can't work on an infection as the poison could get into my bloodstream and kill me.) But I think it was just some bullshit story she was saying that it wasn't working.... I hope. I don't want to die :( but it was painful. The dentist was rude and mean. And dismissed me quickly after he had finished. I was in tears and almost crushed my friends hand while she was holding my hand.

:shame:

Actually I have had numerous dentists tell me they can not work on me because I have an infection. The start me on antibiotics. Once he infection is gone I go back for work. They mentioned something about the infection getting into the bloodstream.

Actually I have had numerous dentists tell me they can not work on me because I have an infection. The start me on antibiotics. Once he infection is gone I go back for work. They mentioned something about the infection getting into the bloodstream.

This is completely not true. If there is a dental infection, then the best thing a dentist can do for you is the actual treatment. Antibiotics are an absolute last resort and aren't normally required in dentistry.
https://bdaconnect.bda.org/antimicrobial-resistance-why-dentists-should-care/

One of the posters mentioned the local anaesthetic was not working and it is likely because of inflammation of the dental nerve, which makes it supersensitive. If there is an infection then the tooth will be dead and therefore wouldn't be painful to drill.

Last edited:
Back