• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No anaesthesia for tooth extraction?

C

chacsmue

I have to get my number 2 molar extracted. Half of it is cracked to the gumline, and what's left of the tooth itself kind of feels like its shaped like a "J".

It is simply easier and cheaper for me to not be put under with general anesthesia because I would have to find someone to be able to drive me there and back, and I'm not 100% sure that my insurance would cover the general anesthesia. I've basically been told if I want to be sure I'd have to get a consult and wait a couple more weeks and then see what would be covered. Which would be another huge pain because I'd be away again at school.

Anyway, long story short, I was wondering how bad it would be to get a tooth that's partially broken removed with only Novocaine or whatever local they use. Would if be more difficult for them to remove it?

I'm not so much worried about the pain, as much as knowing everything going on around me and having to keep my mouth open for three hours because it was difficult to remove the tooth the way it is.

Sorry if I make no sense, but my head is swimming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had both my upper wisdom teeth extracted with just local anaesthetic, and I found it to be OK. I'm shure you'll be OK with just local anaesthetic.

Broken teeth are usually easier to remove as the crown of the tooth gets in the way. It should only take a minute or two to remove it as they are not usually attached very well.

A local anesthetic is the easiest way to do this type of extraction. The only thing you should feel is some pressure, no pain.

LA is perfect for this type of work. GA would be difficult to get approved for a simple extraction.

I am sure you will be fine and the procedure will go smoothly. Dentists do these as a matter of routine.

Hope this helps :)

i had a broken wisdom tooth extracted with just the jags and it was my first so i was like :o on how it would be but it wasnt that bad i got one jag in the gum and one in the roof of my mouth and within about 30 seconds it was out, and this tooth had snapped and had too much decay to be filled so it was in a pretty bad way, but apart from that it was fine i wondered why i had made all the fuss :redface: as it happened so quickly, i hope everything goes well with yours :)

I have had six teeth extracted in my life....four were wisdom teeth, and two (not wisdom teeth) were broken.

For none of them did I have anything more than numbing. No sedation of even nitrous gas.

You should be fine. While "extraction" sounds scary, it is actually easier IMO than having a cavity filled.

Back