• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

large fillings after 2 weeks still some pain

T

tan

Hi: I understand everyones fears of the dentist. I always have my work done while under anaesthetic. The reason for my post is this. 2weeks ago i had 1 broken tooth fixed and filled and the 2 molars beside it filled.. all were large fillings. When i come out of my sleep i felt the one tooth very rough. I told dentist and he said i had already lost the filling, was puzzled how that could have happened. But he ground the tooth and refilled the area. Now that tooth is causing me a bit of grief. I did go back to him after 5 days but i wasnt sure that was the problem as i had a bad canker sore from the injection and all my teeth that were worked on felt sore. I have been living off tylenol and advil ( although i can get away with maybe 1 or 2 times in a day lately. Now this tooth is sensitive to cold, hot, it feels a bit weird to bite on and a bit sensitive, i receive a very painful feeling if anything touches it and it lasts several minute. However i really avoid chewing on this side with any food. The pain seems to radiate also, throughout my jaw ( i do have tmj). I cannot lay on either side of my face at night or im in pain, however i can use fingers on my cheekbon and jawbone to alleviate some of the discomfort during the day. I am thinking that maybe when he refilled the tooth it wasnt done properly or maybe i just have to wait for a bit longer for it to heal. I know this is alot to read and im sorry for that. Any ideas what im up against here? PS my bite is way off. but it has been for over 20 years.

Sorry to hear about your discomfort, I had a molar that was cracked fixed last Thursday. My dentist did a amazing job cleaning out the tooth and putting in a support post then filling the tooth. I did experience some minor pain for roughly 48 Hours and everything seems to be fine now, but the gum behind the molar is a little inflamed. I am not sure what the healing time is on these types of procedures so you should use your best judgement and speak with your dentist about the issue. Hopefully I was able to help a bit and hopefully you can get everything straightened out with the minimal inconvenience. Remember if you feel the need get a second opinion from another professional. :)

Best Regards

Matt

Hi Matt:
Thank you for your input. I beleive the tooth that is causing the grief is not the one that was broken. but the one beside it. I will ahve to contact my dentist if it persists any longer..cause i had the work done on feb 23 /09, the pain is not as bad but, it certainly doesnt feel right..large filling or not...

Would rather have them extract them, at least wouldnt have to worry about them anymore..
Again ty

Hi I had two deep fillings done and a post and crown done at the same time. All three teeth were on my left bottom molars. Its been about 3 weeks and my gums are still sore and the site still a lil sensitive to cold. I finally went in for my permanent crown yesterday and asked my dentist about it while I was there. He said that because he had to drill really deep, my gums were a lil exposed. All I have to do is continue to rinse my mouth with warm salt water to promote healing. You should do the same to yours maybe it will make it heal faster. I am sure the surrounding tissues needs to heal as well but if your pain persists then see your dentist. Oh and don't forget to keep flossing and brushing.

I feel that the level of pain that you are experiencing is more than might be accounted for in 'settling time'. It is also taking too long. My feeling is that it may be related to the bite in some way, perhaps the new fillings are not fitting with the bite (too high in the bite and thus causing what is known as acute periodontitis). In this case the height and shape of these fillings may need adjustment. This is something that is much more likely to occur when general anaestethic is used because the person is not in a position to 'feel' what the bite is like immediately after coming around.
It can also happen after local anaestethic but is more likely to be noticed on the day.
Major bite and grinding problems (TMJ) also increase the risk and liklihood of these problems emerging.
Bottom line go back and have it investigated straight away.
best of luck,
Hope this is helpful
Philip.

Back