• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

H

Hutchkins

I'm new here, and I am looking for some support.

I have always needed braces, but could never afford them until now. I decided I was going to get a consultation- but I was told I had to go to the dentist and get a check-up before I could have a consultation. :redface: I hadn't been to the dentist in 6 years because I am scared. I ended up going to the dentist, for a cleaning and didn't need the nitrous (yay! :jump:) so that's one big step. BUT, I was told I need my wisdom teeth taken out, 4 fillings, and possibly two other teeth extracted BEFORE I can get braces. :o I was so upset when I heard that, I kept telling myself not to fall apart and start crying in the office. They didn't really seem to think it was a big deal- but I am terrified. I had finally gotten over my fear of a routine cleaning- only to have them tell me I need to see an oral surgeon now! I don't know what to do now, because I really want braces so I won't be embarassed to smile anymore. I am going for the orthodontic consultation tomorrow though, to see what they say.

Hi,

I'm no dentist but I suspect they need to ensure your teeth are in good order before fitting braces as further treatment would be difficult with braces in place.

Sounds like you need a lot of work doing which is going to take some time, one possible option is IV sedation?

hey i'm on the same boat as you i want/need braces and i need quite a bit of work done before the braces people will even consider seeing me, so far i have had a wisdom tooth out and a filling but i need another 7-8 fillings and possibly another extraction the fillings themselves arent much cause my dentist said we might aswell do them now when we first notice them and then you won't have to worry about them later! the extractions themselves are actually ok i managed to go mine without any type of gas etc i only took the numbing jags, i find listening to music helps me i did it for the first time last week during a filling and the difference i felt was amazing! i actually felt calm when she started drilling etc

i hope everything goes good for you :) keep me up to date with how things go and ill let you know about my next visit (3 fillings in one sitting!)

Thank you guys! I went ahead and made an appointment for my first 2 fillings for the end of March. I'm going to do the nitrous for those, but I am still so nervous. How bad was the wisdom tooth? I need all 4 out, and when I went to the oral surgeon's website it made me so anxious I literally felt sick, just because it kept saying "surgery" and the recovery time and all the stuff that goes with it.

I had braces at 14 and a couple months later they decided I needed three teeth out...so at 15 I had three taken out. Not fun. This was back in 1987-88, though. I remember my parents were grumbling about "why didn't they figure this out earlier?"

well i was told there was a bad break in it and too much decay to fix it but she did say it is very hard to keep wisdom teeth completely clean and decay free due to there location but my mum said when it came out she did say there wasn't much of the actual tooth to be seen it was mostly root so it must hve been pretty bad (i couldn't bear to look) ive now found a little tiny tiny peice of decay on the left top tooth and to be honest im thinking ill just have it extracted as it is so much faster, it was a month today since i had it taken out and there is a small bi of gum still to heal but all in all the dentist said it healed really well cause after the first week i put cordosyl gel on the socket and you can actually feel it closing up it is fantastic stuff!

I would take some music with you as the noises can be a bit daunting and obviously people say there is alot of pressure but it is bearable, and thats coming from me!! i think with me it was a fear of the unknown like it is with everyone else but it is so fast, not wantin to put you off but mine went like this...first jag, could still feel a little of the roof of my mouth so quick jag in the roof of my mouth (bit nippier but ok) then she started, quick pressure and a crack and that was the tooth loose, another maybe 20 seconds of pressure and the tooth was out and as for the pain i went to tesco and bought there paracetamol and took them from the friday to the monday and that was it i had no facial swelling or anything

let me know how you get on! i'm having a friday free of the dentist today lol my next appointment is 3 fillings in one go!