• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So afraid...

S

Scared in Austin

I previously posted in the journals section, so that was the wrong place...I have my first ever extraction, and I am so petrified...it took me 5 years of taking valium for cleanings before I could go with no drugs at all...now I have an extraction. The fear is quite unbearable. I do not believe the halcion they are going to give me will work, and I fear the injections will hurt so much I won't let them continue to do the "real" work. I have thoughts that I will stop him and not let him finish because of my panic.

Thank you for letting me state my fears to an audience that understands and won't laugh at me...I am so afraid....

I understand your fears, as I just had my wisdom teeth extracted after putting it off for ten years. Believe me, modern dentistry has come a loooooooong way. You won't feel a thing, and with the drugs, you wont care about a thing either. My wisdom teeth extraction was the easiest medical procedure ever...and painless. When I had tonsilitus at age 23, I had to go to the emergency room, where a doctor had to have me restrained so he could (without anesthetic) aspirate, or poke holes in my tonsils so they would drain...which ended with me spewing blood out of my mouth for the next hour on my way home. THAT was traumatic. A dentist visit these days is nothing at all....the anticipation is the worst part. You'll be so happy when its done. :)

Wow...that must have been so terrible for you...I cannot even imagine what that was like. You make my extraction sound so easy compared...thanks for that reply. You have no idea how much better you just made me feel. Yes, the anticipation is killing me...I am having to wait until 2:15 (an eternity) so I will let you know how it goes when it's over. I hope it goes as easy as you say, but the anxiety just won't go away...but I can't thank you enough for your reply. Someone is out there....listening...and caring...sorry you had to go through that pain!

Good Morning:

I can understand the power of panic and fear as I have many patients in the same state. Halcion is a very fast acting medication. It starts to take effect in a few minutes and stays active for 2-3 hours. You should not rmember anything about the visit.

Once you take the Halcion you should not feel any injections as the Halcion will allow you to sleep. It is the drug of choice for sedation dentistry and is proven effective. Local anesthetic can be given without any pain. Typically the dentist puts a numbing gel on the gums which causes the tissues to go completely numb in a minute or two.

The extraction should only take a few minutes and I doubt you will remember anything. The whole experience should be totally painless. Extractions are very routine and dentists do hundreds of them per year.

You are going to be fine. You will be amazed at how easy the procedure is and how much dentistry has improved. Let your mind rest. Take a few deep breaths and relax you are being given state of the art sedation treatment. The dentist seems to be tuned into to your situation by offering you this option. Be proud of yourself for taking this important step. You are overcoming the fear one step at a time.

All the best to you. :grouphug:

Thank you, so much...you said such kind words at a time when I am in such fear...I have been trying to relax today as much as possible...I will try to put my trust in the state of the art meds (halcion) and will try to breathe. I feel like I have been holding my breathe for hours. You have really calmed my nerves, so I cannot thank you enough. OK...I leave in about 45 minutes, so I will report back when I can to let you know how it went. Much love to each of you...

hey

i hope your extraction went ok i remember just how scared i was when i had my first one, i was petrified and cried for over an our before i would even let the dentist LOOK lol but withing 30 seconds it was over and done with and i was getting in the car to go home!

everything after that was mine, no swelling hardly any pain! i hope things go as smoothly for you too!

Thanks for letting me know about your experiences...mine is just now over, and it did not go all that smoothly, but then again, not as bad as I expected. The halcion did not work (I was awake and conscious), and he had to give me extra numbing agents as I could still feel his instruments. Then he gave me gas, which I also did not feel too much (probably due to my anxiety), and when he pulled the tooth, I could feel it during the last part of the extraction. But, at least it is over now, and I am still numb. Once that wears off, I will see how I feel and let you all know. It's been a hard journey, but one I won't forget. It was so much better with people who understand and have been kind and helpful to me on this site. Thanks you with all my heart.

Thanks for letting me know about your experiences...mine is just now over, and it did not go all that smoothly, but then again, not as bad as I expected. The halcion did not work (I was awake and conscious), and he had to give me extra numbing agents as I could still feel his instruments. Then he gave me gas, which I also did not feel too much (probably due to my anxiety), and when he pulled the tooth, I could feel it during the last part of the extraction. But, at least it is over now, and I am still numb. Once that wears off, I will see how I feel and let you all know. It's been a hard journey, but one I won't forget. It was so much better with people who understand and have been kind and helpful to me on this site. Thanks you with all my heart.

Sorry to hear that - :onot a good experience at all....sounds like anxiety was preventing the LA from being fully effective...the gas will only work if you breathe it in fully. Was the tooth infected at all? Here are the causes of inadequate numbing:

Difficulties getting numb at the dentist's

It could have been that you just needed a lot more LA because of your high level of anxiety...maybe the gas should have been used from the start since it was sitting there anyway.
If you stay with this dentist, he needs to learn from this experience..you need more of everything and sooner....to keep anxiety at bay including some TLC.
Please don't let it put you off completely, you may be happier with a different dentist though. If it was obvious the drug hadn't worked, it's strange they didn't give you more, use gas first...I hope it wasn't time pressures dictating such an unpleasant outcome for you.
If the dentist spent very little time with you, as seems to be more common in the USA and just came in to do his bits and went away while you were numbing up etc etc ...I think that can feed the anxiety....an anxious patient benefits from a lot of reassurance and even cosy non-dental chats from the person actually doing the procedure...second hand from the support staff is not the same thing:mad:. Really very sorry it went so unsmoothly.

Thanks for the comments on my experience. Yes, I was wondering the same things too...like why didn't he go ahead and just give me the gas while I waited for the halcion to kick in? And since I was having numbing problems, maybe there was some infection, though he did not give me any antibiotics (just an antibiotic rinse). But since I also need an implant, he said we would definitely have to go with an IV next time since it was just an emotional experience for me. And no, there was not a lot of TLC, just a few check ins from him and the assistants. So, that would have helped, I agree. But it was not a terrible experience, it just didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. We now wait one month to see how much bone grows back before we work on the implant. I am definitely in favor of the IV next time...thank you for being so concerned and thoughtful with your comments. You gave me a lot to think about. You are very kind.

Thanks for the comments on my experience. Yes, I was wondering the same things too...like why didn't he go ahead and just give me the gas while I waited for the halcion to kick in? And since I was having numbing problems, maybe there was some infection, though he did not give me any antibiotics (just an antibiotic rinse). But since I also need an implant, he said we would definitely have to go with an IV next time since it was just an emotional experience for me. And no, there was not a lot of TLC, just a few check ins from him and the assistants. So, that would have helped, I agree. But it was not a terrible experience, it just didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. We now wait one month to see how much bone grows back before we work on the implant. I am definitely in favor of the IV next time...thank you for being so concerned and thoughtful with your comments. You gave me a lot to think about. You are very kind.

Yes I would agree especially in the absence of increased TLC, i/v would probably be best for implant placement. I really don't get the 'multiple patient' thing..it is unheard of in most of Europe...your dental appointment is with your dentist...they stay with you all the time...which really helps build trust and reduce anxiety provided they are 'nice people'.

Next time I will make the appointment in the morning so I don't have so much time to ruminate over what is going to happen. And yes, my oral surgeon saw at least 3 other people while I was there - I guess to maximize his time. But he was a "nice guy" although he just didn't have much time to give me TLC. I didn't really know I needed that...felt a little like a big baby...cried in his chair, but he said that was OK...

You all make me feel so much better...this site has been my saving grace...

he just didn't have much time to give me TLC. I didn't really know I needed that...felt a little like a big baby...cried in his chair, but he said that was OK...

Right answer from the oral surgeon..of course it's ok to cry BUT crying of course indicates your level of anxiety....

Def get the IV next time. Promise you wont regret it. I did a lot of research on my oral surgeon, making sure I found the one with the highest reviews for professionalism and painlessness. Glad I did. Good luck to you, and I'm sure that next time with the IV, you'll be fine...no sweat. And great job getting the initial visit over with. :jump:

Def get the IV next time. Promise you wont regret it. I did a lot of research on my oral surgeon, making sure I found the one with the highest reviews for professionalism and painlessness. Glad I did. Good luck to you, and I'm sure that next time with the IV, you'll be fine...no sweat. And great job getting the initial visit over with. :jump:
Was that on DrOgle? It's great that painlessness is one of their rankings...other country's versions of such websites unfortunately just seem to rate service which is much more meaningless.

You are so right...I am definitely getting the IV for the implants, once I heal and grow a little more bone (hopefully). Thanks so much for the encouraging words - I never knew there was so much support out there for people like me (us)...you make me feel like I can do the next step, even with the fear. Thank you...so much...

Was that on DrOgle? It's great that painlessness is one of their rankings...other country's versions of such websites unfortunately just seem to rate service which is much more meaningless.

I believe she was ranked on Drogle, but I dont hav a membership, so I used kudzu, citysearch, and yelp.

Back