• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

oh noe bracers!

A

alexfeetham

hi all just wondering about having bracers as i will be getting them this year. Have asked friends with braces amd they all say the pain after is horrible any info i would appreciate greatly thanks.

Alex

Hi alex

I had braces fitted last December and I too heard all the stories but I must say I have been really surprised.

The initial fitting took about 90 minutes (would suggest an ipod or similar) and every month I go back for my cleaning and tightening - have written all about it in the "Success Forum".

I can honestly say that I have had NO PAIN, the only feeling I have for a couple of days after they are tightened are of the teeth being numb and maybe an ache but nothing that can't be cured with a simple pain killer.

The results are amazing and I am now really looking forward to the end result..... and that is coming from a life long dental phobic!

If you have any concerns or worries after you have them fitted go straight back to your orthodonist.

Let us know how you get on

Good Luck

:)

update

Hi all thought id just update on my last 2 posts.

OK first off definatly getting braces have been directed to an orthodontest or summat. and now have an appointment on 21st of may to have a tooth removed(how nice). Can someone tell me what to expect during, much appreciated

Alex

**Thanks for moving post**

Last edited:
Hi Alex,
I've had braces since 2007. I'm almost finished with the treatment and if I had to choose again whether to go for it or not I wouldn't hesitate at all. It's definitelly worth the result.

During the first ortho appointment an orthodontist will have a look at your teeth, take two x-ray pictures (one panoramic and one special orthodontic - those x-rays don't involve putting anything into your mouth) and take impressions to have a lab make a plaster model of all teeth for analysis. He/she will also take photos of your teeth and your face and talk with you about your wishes and concerns.

On the basis of the primary examination the orthodontist with the help of an analytic program will prepare a treatment plan. At your next visit he/she will discuss it with you and you will will get a plan of the most suitable course of the treatment. Then you can decide whether you will go for a suggested treatment or not.

If you want to know more feel free to ask or send me a pm.

Good luck!

Re: update

and now have an appointment on 21st of may to have a tooth removed(how nice). Can someone tell me what to expect during, much appreciated

If you rather wanted to know what to expect during a tooth removal I also can share my experience with that.

I have one of my premollars removed because of an orthodontic treatment. I got reffered back to my regular dentist for that. I came there, got LA and then the doctor waited for a while until the LA kicked in. Then she touched the area to check whether I am properly numbed and asked me whether I felt it. I didn't, so she went on to remove the tooth.

I don't know what instruments she used because they were out of my sight and I didn't feel a thing. It took a couple of minutes (definitely less than 5 mins, rather 2 or 3). My dentist kept asking me whether I was allright and didn't feel anything, but it was perfectly ok.

When the tooth was out she put some gause on the extraction area and told me to bite on it. Then she asked me whether I would like to keep the extracted tooth. It surprised me and I agreed. So she packed it in the tissue and a plastic bag for me and adviced me to put it in the peroxide for a couple of days to bleach it. Then she gave me instructions how to take care of the extraction site, gave me a big pat on the back and I left.

ok thanks was mainly worried about having tooth removed as it is my first time having anything done.

Before having braces on would i possibly need more teeth removing??

Before having braces on would i possibly need more teeth removing??

It depends on your teeth. Sometimes it can be the case, but it's not allways necessary. Even if you need to create more space in your mouth there are two ways how to create it - either by leaning the teeth out or by removing the teeth. Sometimes one way is better than the other - your orthodontist will discuss it with you after analysis of your mouth when you discuss your treatment plan.

Just wondering do you need injections to have braces fitted, thanks

alex

My daughter has just had her braces off and her teeth look absolutely amazing.

When she first had them fitted she suffered from really bad ulcers the next day and was in a lot of pain with them, a friend suggested that I buy some ointment called adcortyl in ora base which had worked really well for her daughter's mouth after braces, it was fantastic stuff it healed the ulcers so quickly.

Each time she had the braces tightened she said it felt a bit uncomfortable for a day but if I hadnt have asked her, she wouldnt have mentioned it, so it obviously wasnt that bad.

My friend's son recently had his braces fitted I suggested that she rubbed his mouth with the adcortyl when he went to bed that night, she did an he didnt get a single ulcer so it is definately worth getting some.

They dont give an injection to do the braces as it isnt painful I think it just takes a few days afterwards to get used to the feeling of them being there.

Good Luck, it is so worth it :)

Just wondering do you need injections to have braces fitted, thanks

alex

Hi Alex,
as Tomcat has written, there are no injections involved when putting on braces. There's no reason for them as the procedure is totally painless. :)

The braces consist of bands (on your mollars) and brackets (on the other teeth) bonded to your teeth and a wire that connects these brackets and bands. This wire does the job. It adjusts a shape of your tooth arch by moving the teeth to the correct positions.

When the brackets are put on your teeth, first of all a little bit of bonding material is put on a tooth using a little brush. Then a bracket is placed there. After that the doctor either waits for a while or uses a lamp with a blue light to stabilize the bonding material.

When all the brackets are placed on your teeth a wire is put to the slots of the brackets.

Finally the elastics are put on the brackets to stabilize the wire in the slots. The elastics come in many different colors and you can choose what color you prefer. Elastics are not allways necessary, there are also some kinds of brackets that are used without elastics.

The most unpleasant thing while getting them on has to be the taste of the stuff they use, no pain at all just some discomfort at times. After a week or two you will get used to them being there and they won't be uncomfortable anymore.

hi all around 1 week till i have my tooth removed, fairly nervous, but hey theres a first time for everything(and i get to finish school early):(:(

hi all around 1 week till i have my tooth removed, fairly nervous, but hey theres a first time for everything(and i get to finish school early):(:(

Try not to think about it... I know it is easier to say this than to do it. It will be over before you know it and then you will be wondering why you were worrying.:cheers:

If your dentist does not know that you are nervous it would be a good idea to let him know, he can't help you if he does not know.

ok 1 hour till my appointment, not as nervous as i thought id be anyways wish me luck :):);D:cheers:

just got back lol, dont know what all the fuss is about XD went in got some numbing gel then had a palate injection, it hurt a little bit, but tbh if thats all u feel then its easy, baby tooth came out in about 5 seconds, my mouth feels awesome lol, the urge to bite my touge is immense, ye so anyway it went extremely well :):):):):):):):):):):yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Congratulations, Alex! :cheers: Now you can finally relax and enjoy this great feeling that it's over. Well done! :respect:

Back