• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What encouraged me to suck it up and see a dentist

A

Alexandra1973

I had a couple of teeth kind of "crumble" a few years back...one on the top left, on the side, and the lower right wisdom tooth. Believe it or not they didn't hurt, but I babied them. It just hurt a slight bit if a shard broke off, and coconut oil took care of any swelling from it...at least I thought it did!

Never had a toothache...but I realized that if I didn't get something done, then I might have a toothache, I might wind up with an abscess or something...and I needed to prevent that.:(

Also, I wanted to be able to wear lipstick and kiss my husband of 15 1/2 years without feeling self-conscious.:redface:

I hadn't had any dental work done since the age of 19, back in 1992. So you can imagine that after seventeen years, I was a bit nervous.

You know, I'd see pictures of celebrities smiling, having those perfect teeth...I'd be thinking, man, I'd at least like to be presentable...!:cry:

So last month I got my teeth cleaned (took them an hour), got some composite fillings, and today I got the six extractions I mentioned. The nice part is, even though I have that bad tooth gone from the upper left side, even if I grin nice and wide it is not that noticeable. I think I had the beginnings of gum disease too...now they look so much better.

Between that, and getting some new clothes and jewelry thanks to Kmart's clearance sales and hubby's tax return...and finding out I'd gone down another size (trying to lose weight too)...I've been feeling a LOT better! I'm a bit of a fixer-upper...but the fixing up is being accomplished!:jump:

I tell you what, I don't have a fear of dentists anymore. My experience the past few weeks has been that the pain is minimal.

I hated looking in the mirror while brushing my teeth (felt the need to take care of the good teeth, you know, so as not to make the problem worse) and seeing that one decayed tooth. Not anymore! :yay: