• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ahhhhhh

I'm in at 13.55 that day.

We can think of each other that day,my dentist said i could just have a clean...BUT i've decided to have the 3 extractions done 1st, as i have been in pain with this infection so i want them out, it's doing my head in.

Shit scared but can't go through this.

:oops: sorry 4 hijacking your thread..got carried away.

Hugs

Hey, don't worry at all about hijacking my thread hehe it's great to hear what's happening with other people :)

Are you having all 3 extractions done on that day? I will b thinking of you when im having my stuff done! Im not sure to be honest if it's the cleaning or filling or both that day for me lol.

I'm defo having the 1 that is causing this infection out, i want to be brave and have the 3 out so it's over and done with.

It's the extraction's that fear me the most, then the filling's, the cleaning does not really bother me.

Hug's

You go girl! You seem determined :) Tooth ache is the worst, I had it once when I was younger (luckily when I was still going to my other denist so managed to get it sorted straight away).

Hi,

Thank's for your message.:)

Hope your doing good as well.

Hugs.

Hey you,

Im doing brill thanks, I feel so much better now I have been to the dentist once even though it was only for a check up.

Now and again I get a little shudder of fear when I think of the injections that I have coming up but im determinded to have my treatment done with a local so I can crack this fear once and for all. I did double check with the dentist that if, when it comes down to it I feel I can't cope with just the local then we can re-arrange for the sedation but I really think im going to be able to do it!

The worst part for me was the lead up to the diagnosis. When I was in the chair and the dentist was looking in my mouth and using the pick thing (used to hate that) I was surprised at how alright I felt! When I was younger I always used to have to wear something long sleeved for my appt's so that I could curl my fists up inside my jacket and scrunch down hard to avoid thinking about my mouth so I thougt I would at least have to keep a death grip on the chair but I even forgot to do that. :jump:

I had pre-warned the dentist that the bit I was most scared of was getting the diagnosis so once we were done with my checkup he told me quicky that I needed 1 filling and a cleaning so that it wasn't a dragged out process for me :)

Hello All,

I just wanted to update everyone as to how I was doing. I had my first treatment appt in yonks today, I had a cleaning and I have to say it was totally fine! :jump:

If you have read above you will know I needed a cleaning and a filling and when I went in today the dentist asked if I had any preference as to what I had done today. I didn't really mind either way so just asked him to do whichever he felt was more urgent. He ended up deciding to go with the cleaning as he said the filling is such a tiny one anyway that it wouldnt hurt to wait so we could build up to that by doing the cleaning first.

I did have LA injections for the cleaning (I know some people have it without but I didn't want to feel any pain) and even though they took a few mins to do the dentist explained that the slower they were done the more painless they were. Luckily I had read that a few times on this site so was prepared for them to take a few mins.

Also I had remembered what a previous poster had said about cutting off one of your senses if you closed your eyes, which focuses attention your other senses so I made sure to keep them open. I even had a sneaky look at the needle afterwards just to put my mind at rest that it wasn't about 50ft long and massive (it was a small little plastic thing). I did feel the injections slightly but it was by no means unbearable pain, just a tiny little sting in places.

The cleaning itself was a piece of cake, worst bit was the water which they use but the dentist was so careful to keep stopping to give me breaks and ask me if im ok that it was no problem.

In short, the dentist experience was far far less scary than what I had build it up to be in my mind! I still have the filling to go but as my dentist said, after the injections you wont feel a thing and now you already know you can do the injections! Im so so glad I plucked up the courage to contact a dentist and go for a visit, the sense of relief is amazing!

:):):) <<<< Me hehe

That's great news :jump::jump::jump:!! Brilliant to hear it went so well today - and also many thanks for adding your dentist review - he sounds like a gem :cloud9:. Well done!!!

Thanks Lets :) its so great to hve found a nice dentist.

Three cheers for you AVA! You must have such a sense of accomplishment!!:grouphug::jump:

Thanks DrummersWife! I really do :) im just so happy about the whole dentist thing now and I NEVER thought I would be able to say that at one point.

How's you treatment with Dr Katie going? I'll be sending you good vibes for your next appt! :thumbsup:

xx

It's entirely acceptable and normal to want to have a look at the practice and the price list when choosing a dental practice.

Price list? Is this something that is available at dentists in the UK? I'm in Canada and very worried about the cost of things but talking to a dentists office on the phone recently, I couldn't even get the price of a new patient exam and cleaning. She kept saying it varies depending on units of scaling, how many x rays etc. I asked for a range and she wouldn't give it. Do you know if there is a standard price list somewhere of how much things should/could cost?

Hey Greenwood,

Im not sure about Canada but in the UK it depends whether you go on the NHS or private. Im not sure what happens on the NHS, I think you still pay something but it's sightly cheaper.

My new dentist (so chuffed I can say I have a dentist :)) is private and their price list was displayed on their website but I don't think they all do this. To give you some idea my cleaning and filling plus my initial new patient consultation and happy pills (not sure of the technical term but as it turned out the dosage I had didnt have an effect on me anyway) cost just under £500. However I paid upfont because by doing this they offered a bit of a discount so ended up paying just over £450.

Im not sure if that will help at all since you are in Canada but I doubt it would be too different?

Hi All,

I just wanted to check in with an update - i've now had the filling I needed done and it was an absolute breeze, no issues at all, yay. The numbing injections were painless and after that I couldn't feel anything so all was good while I sat their getting my filling done while watching a wildlife show on the TV :)

Im now happy as larry about the dentist and so so so so chuffed I went, it's such a weight of my mind! xx

Well done Ava, on getting your filling done. Being able to watch a tv show whilst having your treatment must have helped. I always take a mp3 player with me with a relaxation cd when I need any drilling done I find this helps drown out the noise and helps me relax.

Back