Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning Sensation in Gums

Default Burning Sensation in Gums

Since I had my crown fitted last week I keep getting a strange feeling in my gums and the only way I can describe it is like a burning feeling. As soon as it starts I become so aware of it that it feels like it is spreading and lasts for ages.

Everything looks ok there is no redness or swellings, the crown appears to be fine, no sensitivity or pain and the bite has adjusted so all my teeth meet again.

I notice it is worse when I have eaten anything sweet, for instance an hour ago I had a chocolate bar and now my gums are really burning.

Could this be a tooth problem? A side effect from the injection I had last week as that hurt and numbed the whole right side of my face and nose, or could it be psychological as I am convinced the crown is going to fail an that bacteria is getting inside it !!

My dentist only works Tuesdays and Fridays and as this week is Good Friday I have to wait til next week to ask her and I am scared I have a major problem starting.

Im sorry I am such a pain

Default Re: Burning Sensation in Gums

It couldn't be some kind of allergic reaction to what you've eaten? I can't think of anything else that could do this. Bacteria in your crown would not produce that kind of effect, if that's any comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
      It couldn't be some kind of allergic reaction to what you've eaten? I can't think of anything else that could do this. Bacteria in your crown would not produce that kind of effect, if that's any comfort.

Thank you for replying, I am sure its anxiety making me very aware of every sensation in my mouth

The burning is all over the gums not just around the crown and it only started after I became sure sugar would work its way into the new crown, I am starting to sound mad lol

I have to get over this new sugar phobia - its easter !!!

Quote Originally Posted by annie778 View Post
      You mentioned mouthwash in another post. Do you use it or have you started to use a different one recently? An acidic mouth which is associated with stress.....you have been worrying a lot. I think certain meds can also cause this as a side effect or at least I know ones that cause nasty mouth ulcers. Do you smoke? Also an oral yeast infection/candida can cause this sort of symptom in which case the cure would be no more sugar for a while....

Same mouthwash, I dont take any medication, I dont smoke and have a perfectly healthy looking mouth (gums, tongue, cheeks etc) so dont think its a yeast infection.

There is no burning or weird sensations at all until I eat my favourite food CHOCOLATE WAAAAAAAAAH LOL I think its a conspiracy to stop me eating it !!

I am quite stressed at the moment though an not just from worrying about my teeth, I suffer with anixety and panic attacks so it may just be that I am very body aware and because im worriying about the crown going wrong I am looking for problems.

If no one thinks it is a known medical problem that could be related to the crown or any other tooth disorder I am happy to hear that

have to agree Annie........... ive had panic attacks so bad that I thought I was having a stroke!
      Not such a lost cause after all :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hdf2 View Post
      have to agree Annie........... ive had panic attacks so bad that I thought I was having a stroke!
      I am 42 and have suffered from panic disorder since I was 4, I also have OCD and a phobia of vomiting, I am claustrophobic and have have bouts of agoraphobia so I know that anxiety can and will produce symptoms although usually these are bought on by over breathing.

I think in this instance, and now I feel happy that it is not something going wrong with the crown it is me being very body aware due to my paranoia

Well after a panic attack yesterday caused by burning/itching sensation and having gone to bed with burning gums and woken up with burning gums, it suddenly occured to me that I have been using a whitening toothpaste for the last two months and although it is the same make as my previous paste I am now wondering if it has started to cause an irritation to my gums - is this possible?

Well im getting fed up now, the burning feeling seems to have almost gone after it moved to my tongue which then seemed to lead to a sore throat so I think maybe it was viral, but I am having a problem with the crown, I cant describe it really, its not pain but sometimes I am "aware" of it being there not sure if its a dull ache as it is so slight but if I think about my teeth the crown is the one that I can feel, not sure if its burning/itching/sore or aching !!

I feel a sensation in the crown which then leads me to poke at it with my tongue, then I become worried about the ridge I can feel where it reaches the back of my gum, I then think it must have a gap which makes me think that bacteria is getting in, this then follows with a weird sensation (possible burning like feeling).

I dont have any proper pain or sensitivity and all looks normal, my poor b/f said I should go back to the dentist as I am so worried (and he is in danger of murdering me lol) but I am too embarrassed and scared to go back. The bite is still very slightly high in one area but so minimal I dont really notice it but maybe that is causing the strange feelings.

I am embarrassed to keep going on about it on here too but at least you dont know me

Hi,
      I have had something similar with my bottom teeth on the left.

I have a partial that I am using until my implants on the top heal.
      My gums in my bottom teeth have been KILLING me. The pain that would go across the gums and into my tongue was terrible. I wanted to dig my teeth out!

I went to my dentist, had xrays and had them all checked. Nothing. The feeling persisted and it would go down my neck and up into my ear. At times this was quite severe.

Finally my dentist said he thought I had tmj from the partial hitting the teeth below. He made a very slight adjustment (nothing too permanent) and it helped within hours! I expect once I have my implant restoration and no longer need the partial, that my pain will go away.

Make sure your crown is seated properly and your bite correct. Even a small amount can be very painful and if your teeth are hitting a nerve like mine, can also feel like burning on your tongue and down your neck.

Hope this helps some. It's just a thought.
      Best to you.
      Gellia