• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Burning Sensation in Gums

Topcat

Topcat

Since I had my crown fitted last week I keep getting a strange feeling in my gums and the only way I can describe it is like a burning feeling. As soon as it starts I become so aware of it that it feels like it is spreading and lasts for ages.

Everything looks ok there is no redness or swellings, the crown appears to be fine, no sensitivity or pain and the bite has adjusted so all my teeth meet again.

I notice it is worse when I have eaten anything sweet, for instance an hour ago I had a chocolate bar and now my gums are really burning.

Could this be a tooth problem? A side effect from the injection I had last week as that hurt and numbed the whole right side of my face and nose, or could it be psychological as I am convinced the crown is going to fail an that bacteria is getting inside it !!

My dentist only works Tuesdays and Fridays and as this week is Good Friday I have to wait til next week to ask her and I am scared I have a major problem starting.

Im sorry I am such a pain :redface:

It couldn't be some kind of allergic reaction to what you've eaten? I can't think of anything else that could do this. Bacteria in your crown would not produce that kind of effect, if that's any comfort.

It couldn't be some kind of allergic reaction to what you've eaten? I can't think of anything else that could do this. Bacteria in your crown would not produce that kind of effect, if that's any comfort.

Thank you for replying, I am sure its anxiety making me very aware of every sensation in my mouth :(

sounds similar to what I get around the two crowns I had trouble with. They are both root treated but I had this ever since I had my previous crowns back in 94 and it went away when I had them replaced in 2007 but is back recently, but I have been eating a lot of chocolate recently after quite a long period of not touching any sugar. It's been annoying me recently because for a year and a half I had no symptoms...grrr.

Over the years dentists have pretty much been bewildered by why I have this gum irritation just in that area. The only explanation one dentist could think of (given that the teeth in question are root filled) was that the neighbouring tooth was decayed or sensitive to sugar (but it isn't). It's as if sugary foods or plaque irritates the gum on these two teeth. It's most pronounced on a small crowned incisor that had gum recession & was the reason I had my crowns replaced. But it had no sign of decay.

I can understand your paranoia as I used to feel the same and in my case used to panic about failed root treatments etc. But there's no infection and no decay so go figure. I guess the occasional strange symptoms and chronic annoyances are something you just have to live with when you have crowns. It's as annoying as a paper cut. I don't worry about it but just find it an irritant.

The burning is all over the gums not just around the crown and it only started after I became sure sugar would work its way into the new crown, I am starting to sound mad lol

I have to get over this new sugar phobia - its easter !!!

That does sound odd if it's not just a local thing. Lots of things could be responsible (but not the crown unless you have developed an allergy to it!) In my, short but unfortunately intensive, experience of allergies, I know it would be unusual for an allergic reaction in the mouth to only affect the gums or to last more than a short period unless you are constantly exposed to the allergen. You mentioned mouthwash in another post. Do you use it or have you started to use a different one recently? An acidic mouth which is associated with stress.....you have been worrying a lot. I think certain meds can also cause this as a side effect or at least I know ones that cause nasty mouth ulcers. Do you smoke? Also an oral yeast infection/candida can cause this sort of symptom in which case the cure would be no more sugar for a while....;)

You mentioned mouthwash in another post. Do you use it or have you started to use a different one recently? An acidic mouth which is associated with stress.....you have been worrying a lot. I think certain meds can also cause this as a side effect or at least I know ones that cause nasty mouth ulcers. Do you smoke? Also an oral yeast infection/candida can cause this sort of symptom in which case the cure would be no more sugar for a while....;)

Same mouthwash, I dont take any medication, I dont smoke and have a perfectly healthy looking mouth (gums, tongue, cheeks etc) so dont think its a yeast infection.

There is no burning or weird sensations at all until I eat my favourite food CHOCOLATE WAAAAAAAAAH LOL I think its a conspiracy to stop me eating it !!

I am quite stressed at the moment though an not just from worrying about my teeth, I suffer with anixety and panic attacks so it may just be that I am very body aware and because im worriying about the crown going wrong I am looking for problems.

If no one thinks it is a known medical problem that could be related to the crown or any other tooth disorder I am happy to hear that :)

Anxiety can cause physical symptoms to manifest if it's strong enough. People have been known to be paralysed and all sorts through psychosomatic symptoms.

have to agree Annie........... ive had panic attacks so bad that I thought I was having a stroke!

have to agree Annie........... ive had panic attacks so bad that I thought I was having a stroke!

I am 42 and have suffered from panic disorder since I was 4, I also have OCD and a phobia of vomiting, I am claustrophobic and have have bouts of agoraphobia so I know that anxiety can and will produce symptoms although usually these are bought on by over breathing.

I think in this instance, and now I feel happy that it is not something going wrong with the crown it is me being very body aware due to my paranoia :rolleyes:

Well after a panic attack yesterday caused by burning/itching sensation and having gone to bed with burning gums and woken up with burning gums, it suddenly occured to me that I have been using a whitening toothpaste for the last two months and although it is the same make as my previous paste I am now wondering if it has started to cause an irritation to my gums - is this possible?

Best way to check if it's an allergen is to stop using it and see how you feel in a week.

Well im getting fed up now, the burning feeling seems to have almost gone after it moved to my tongue which then seemed to lead to a sore throat so I think maybe it was viral, but I am having a problem with the crown, I cant describe it really, its not pain but sometimes I am "aware" of it being there not sure if its a dull ache as it is so slight but if I think about my teeth the crown is the one that I can feel, not sure if its burning/itching/sore or aching !!

I feel a sensation in the crown which then leads me to poke at it with my tongue, then I become worried about the ridge I can feel where it reaches the back of my gum, I then think it must have a gap which makes me think that bacteria is getting in, this then follows with a weird sensation (possible burning like feeling).

I dont have any proper pain or sensitivity and all looks normal, my poor b/f said I should go back to the dentist as I am so worried (and he is in danger of murdering me lol) but I am too embarrassed and scared to go back. The bite is still very slightly high in one area but so minimal I dont really notice it but maybe that is causing the strange feelings.

I am embarrassed to keep going on about it on here too but at least you dont know me :redface:

you really should go back if the bite is high. Even a slightly high bite can give you probs like this when you have a crown. I've had all sorts of aches and pains just when a tiny adjustment was needed. If you are embarassed can't you go to a different dentist to get it checked out?

Good to hear the gums have stopped burning although sorry to hear about sore throat. Do you think the toothpaste change made the difference?

At the end of the day you did have decay which prob means some of the underlying natural tooth was reduced and it won't feel exactly like before and it does take time to settle down. But if you are worried don't think about the dentist think of yourself and your health. The dentist is paid to put up with worried patients.

Hi,
I have had something similar with my bottom teeth on the left.

I have a partial that I am using until my implants on the top heal.
My gums in my bottom teeth have been KILLING me. The pain that would go across the gums and into my tongue was terrible. I wanted to dig my teeth out!

I went to my dentist, had xrays and had them all checked. Nothing. The feeling persisted and it would go down my neck and up into my ear. At times this was quite severe.

Finally my dentist said he thought I had tmj from the partial hitting the teeth below. He made a very slight adjustment (nothing too permanent) and it helped within hours! I expect once I have my implant restoration and no longer need the partial, that my pain will go away.

Make sure your crown is seated properly and your bite correct. Even a small amount can be very painful and if your teeth are hitting a nerve like mine, can also feel like burning on your tongue and down your neck.

Hope this helps some. It's just a thought.
Best to you.
Gellia

Thanks for the replies :)

Well I woke up this morning with a bad back ache, stiff neck and for the first time in my life a stiff/achey jaw !!!!!!!!! So much for a restful nights sleep lol

I will make an appointment to go back to the dentist regarding the bite, I just dont want her thinking im paranoid, sorry make that "finding out" I am paranoid lol

I promise I wont ask anymore about my crown if someone could please answer this for me as I am going to the dentist on Friday and scared about what she will say. If I had a bad problem with my crown (like needing root canal) would I have more symptoms than what I am experiencing (mild ache from time to time, and that strange burning/itching feeling)?

Topcat unfortunately any strange feelings could mean an infection. But you can't self diagnose if you aren't familiar with the feeling.

Generally there is a noticeable lump on the gum, but twice I've needed root treatment when I've just had pain and unpleasant strange sensations around the gum and root area but without the classic swelling/bump abscess on the gum. Usually you can tell by feeling the tip of the root right where the gum meets your lip, because if there is an infection it will usually feel painful there and the pain radiates so you cannot easily tell where it is from. But I mean if it's an infection you will really be quite uncomfortable and it may vary from a strange tingling feeling to shooting deep pain that can become excruciating and feels like it's in your bone. It's so gradual that by the time you are in agony you are used to feeling that way all the time.

Are you feeling worse each day? I mean like Ive said before I get these same sensations to the type you mention in a root filled tooth and it's been like this for years without an infection. Today this tooth has been playing up for some reason but if I press at the tip of the root I don't have that infection pain. Ive had it x rayed several times and no sign of infection. It could just be that because of your decay your dentist has reduced the tooth so the nerve is nearer the surface and you are having some strange sensations that you are finding hard to get used to but if the dentist says there is no sign of infection you may have to just accept that's the way it will feel. There is no point in having a root treatment with a live nerve and you can pretty easily test it by pressing an ice cube or something similarly cold against it and maybe putting a q tip in some hot tea and touching that to it. If you can feel the temperature change the nerve is not dead.

But there are no guarantees and the main thing is don't worry, it's not the end of the world if you need a root treatment. If I can cope with it, with my fear of things going wrong, then I am sure you can too.

Thanks, I guess I will wait an see what the dentist says, I suppose because the previous crown felt so normal afterwards and when I touched it with my tongue this one is freaking me out.:(

Well I couldnt get an appt for Friday so have to wait until Tuesday, and now I have a really sore feeling in my gum around the crown, its only on one side between my teeth and at the front, I am wondering if I have irritated it by being to harsh with a Te Pe brush, it is really annoying me as it is quite sore (although it looks norma) and it is just like the same feeling that I used to get a couple of years ago which is why I had the crown put on anyway cos the gum getting irritated, I feel like I need to jab at it with something hard to soothe the irritation, if that makes sense and just wanna get the crown off! :cry:

I didnt get any of these feelings with the original crown and wish I had never had the crown replaced as I was doing quite well without the tooth covered for three months.

Back