• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal Friday - terrified doesn't even begin to cover it

M

mtejeda

What I've most feared - a root canal. I'm in the US and going to a highly recommended endodontist and everyone says they are not at all bad anymore. But, I'm terrified. I had a dentist who didn't use novacaine when I was a child and I have never been able to shake the fear.

Please, please - help me! I'm way too old (57 year old woman) to be such a baby. I'm so ashamed of my fears..

Thank you in advance.

:welcome:

OMG, have you read any of my posts about my root canal? No way are you a bigger chicken than me. I have been whining about my situation for weeks. I had the root canal appt., I cancelled it, I had a filling hoping that would prevent the root canal, but it didn't, and now it's rebooked for next Wednesday. I've been in for consultations with the dentist and endodontist, had phone consultations with them all including the anesthesiologist and been taking narcotics and Ativan for the pain and the anxiety.

So, please don't feel bad, no one is a bigger baby than me. The only thing worse than having the fear is being ashamed of it. No need, you are in good company here.

You will get through this and then you'll have the whole weekend to tell us what a piece of cake it was.

It's funny - but every time I talk to someone who has had a root canal - and that's been a lot lately - EVERY ONE of them told me it was NOTHING. I think we've all had years of hearing people's bad experiences, but I think in the past decade dentistry has gotten much better, and I'm sure as time goes on those bad stories and memories will be replaced by the stories we have - which all seem to be so much better than what we were told.

Of course I haven't had mine yet, so I can't comment, but I'm sure you'll be telling us the same thing after it's done!

Hang in there, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello:

I agree, root canals are not bad at all. From the patients perspective, a root canal is no different than a filling.

They have a bad reputation that is undeserved. I think this came about from the early days when root canals were new and dentistry was at a much less advanced state than today.

The equipment, techniques and anesthetics are light years beyond those first days of root canals.

The procedure is much faster than it was and much more pleasant for the patient.

I understand there fear because you are entering into an unknown area that has received much bad press. You will be surprised at how easiy and pain free the procedure is.

You will be in good hands with a dentist that does these procedures several times per day.

It is very safe and routine. I know you will come through with flying colors.:)

All the best to you.

Your kind words made me a bit teary....I am just beside myself and I know INTELLECTUALLY that things will be fine, but it's the emotional "left overs" from my childhood experiences and the bad rap root canals have had in the past that shake me up. I've had three crowns done in the past 4 months; one didn't work and that's the one being given the root canal "therapy".

I asked if the endodontist uses nitrous since it helps me quite a bit, but they don't - said something about it interfering with the microscope? I do have xanax, which I intend to use. They said that was fine as long as I don't drive.

Thank you for your responses. I feel so stupid that I'm so scared. I can hardly eat or sleep - isn't that crazy??

Many people on here including me, understand how dental anxiety can be driven by childhood experiences of lack of anaesthesia....this represented a situation where you were 'out of control' ....lower your anxiety in the absence of nitrous by agreeing a stop signal with the endo....of raising your arm if you need a break or LA top-up....just doing that can make you feel more in control and therefore less anxious.
I had a painless root canal 16 plus years ago. The film 'Finding Nemo' has a lot to answer for :ROFLMAO:. Don't know if you are familiar with the scene? It doesn't have to be a negative experience at all and endos are the way to go.:grouphug:

That's a good idea - I'll use it.

Hardly slept last night and my procedure isn't until tomorrow. I hate that I act like this! Thanks for your understanding, all. Your support means so much to me. If it were up to me, I'd keep postponing this and then wind up having to have another extraction which I never want to repeat. I know better, though, and am determined to face this...

Does anyone else cry at the thought of something like this?

Hi !

I went throught one of these last month and i know how you are feeling. you are not alone who is loosing sleep and crying over this! Confronting fears is never easy and be proud of yourself for every little steps. You will feel sooo relieve after the RCT. It will go just fine.

The good thing is : Compared to a filling, there is less drilling during a RCT.:jump:

:)

Trust me....age has nothing to do with it. I am 60 and terrified is an understatement to how I feel. I too had some horrific experiences as a child and now have panic disorder....so I know exactly how you feel. Sadly, I am not the one to ask for a solution....looking for one myself. But I can say do not beat yourself up based on age....fear is an equal opportunity monster.:scared:

Just had one last Thursday. It wasn't painful - just one second of discomfort when she pushed the filling home, and that was nothing really -but RCT as w whole is just boring, and went on for a long time. But I felt nothing was happening for a lot of that time... them getting ready for the next stage, etc.

Had my appointment in half halves - first half when they took the root out, back in Feb and that was also 100% painless. Only thing that bothered me were the sounds. But the sensations were fine.

Think how you'll feel when it's over!;)

hi
just thought i would say you really don't have to worry about being scared yr never too old to be afraid im terrified of everything dental related but its really helped coming on here i really hope it all goes well for you let us know how it goes and remember its better to say yr scared at least if yr dentist is aware of that and they're nice they can help
all the best

emma :)

I was told I needed a root canal back in January, I Ieft the dentist a nervous wreck and crying, now I haven't mentioned this before as I was too ashamed of how selfish I was, but on the same day my boyfriend was in a neurology hospital in London about to have a lumbar puncture (he may have MS and was in for a week having numerous tests) I was so petrified at the thought of root canal that I just didnt support him at all even though I knew he was petrified of the lumbar puncture :redface:

When he came home it was his birthday the next day and the lumbar puncture left him with a terrible headache for two weeks he could barely stand up and yet all I did was cry, stress, have panic attacks and go on and on about root canal (God knows why he stays with me). So I dont think any of you are being silly or childish for being scared at the thought of having root canal done.

It turned out that I didnt have to have RC after all (all that worrying for nothing) but everyone I have spoken to that has had it done has said it is the same as having a filling but just that your in the chair for a bit longer, for me the fear is being in the chair out of control but to be honest the last two times I have been to the dentist to sort out my crown I had a 45min and 30 min appt and the time flew by.

A friend of mine had RC done recently and he went to the pub an hour later with his mates for lunch and a beer !!

Good Luck, I look forward to hearing your success story :)

Cross posting with "Success Stories" in case it might help someone here...

Well, I did it. Halfway, anyway. I have to go back for another appointment as my tooth is somewhat complicated with regard to finding the roots and such. My endo was extremely competent and kind. He said, "I've seen 'em all. You are special, but NOT unique! So, don't worry, I am confident that another hour or hour and a half and we'll be done!" It isn't a fun process, but there was no pain and I've had only post procedure achy-type pain and soreness - none of what the tooth was giving me before the antibiotics kicked in. The tooth was dead as a doornail and getting the rest of the pulp, nerve and necrotic material out will enable my body to heal and get over the remnants of the systemic infection. I can tell a difference already.

All I took was a pretty small dose of Xanax and I got through it fine. If I can do it, so can you! Feel free to email me for support!

See, I told you you'd get to spend the rest of the weekend telling all of us what a piece of cake it was. ;D

That's just wonderful news, great to hear you got through it so well and that you feel so good about it - physically and emotionally.

Thanks for letting us know, another good story to add to the list! I think it's so important that everyone shares the good stories and experiences, that is probably the single most important thing to come out of these boards!! I know it really helps me to read the success stories.

:respect: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im so pleased to hear that, it is brilliant, well done to you :jump:

I would like to second what Leela said. I am beyond terrified about dental work too! Resulting from bad experiences earlier in my life. Fear has no age limit. In reference to what Stress Doc said about thechniques being so much better now, the thought of that gives me some comfort and reason for hope. I hope it will do the same for you.:)

I have been reading the posts and I understand the fear and terror. I have been there myself. Working through this is a process.

The emotional component tends to overwhelm the logical one. This is because in an anxiety state the logical side is non-functional (Cortical Inhibition).

This is part of the self-protection mechanism.

This system runs based upon perception. Whatever you believe becomes your reality. If you believe something will be painful or scary, it is.

For example; You may enjoy going to a baseball game. Why? Because you attach many levels of pleasure to the event.

Everything we enjoy we attach pleasure to. Everything we fear we attach pain to. The key is to alter the perception.

I have found it useful to ask myself the following question:

What conditions would need to be present to make this experience comfortable?

Be as specific as you can in the answer. This helps to alter the perception.

This works because you are creating the conditions in your mind that make the event comfortable. Just as your belief sets the conditions to make the event scary.

This technique is useful for working through fear, especially from past trauma.

Blessings to all of you. :)

Add me to the terrified of having a root canal done this coming Friday club. :/. As others have said, perhaps my biggest fear is the initial shot--though I've heard (and counting on) the numbing gel preventing that from hurting? Please tell me this is true? As for the procedure itself, from what I've Google-ed I'm more hopeful that with the shot, it shouldn't be painful. Afterwards once the novacaine or whatever wears off can take Tylonel.

I chose the "Miss Lucky" avatar try and "add" to my luck but honestly would appreciate some reassurance!

Thanks,
Mona

Hi Razzle3:

The numbing gel works great. It is a combination of topical anesthetics that work in 3-4 minutes. It is usually put on a cotton swab and left in your mouth for the 3-4 minutes. It causes the gums in that area to become numb. This gel tastes minty or like pina colada.

This makes the injection painless. The major discomfort comes from the Local Anesthetic being injected too quickly. Speed was the old way of doing injections. Dentists have been taught the slower technique that insures a pain free experience. Some dentists even have an injection device called the wand which works on the same principle. But the slow techniques work just as well.

The newer anesthetics work much better than the older versions, which are not used any more. This causes the RC to be pain free.

All these items and techniques cause dentistry to be discomfort free. You will be fine and surprised at how easy the procedure is.

All the Best to you. :)

Razzle3 - I would like to confirm what Stress Doc says. I had my first filling in 20 years 2 weeks ago. The last time I needed dental work done I had it done under IV sedation and general anesthetic because I was a basket case. This time I had the filling done under LA and I felt absolutely nothing with the needle, I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. There is nothing to fear with the needle anymore!! HONEST!!!

(As a side note to Stress Doc - I like everything you have to say. Your posts are so encouraging and I love your explanations. I am one of those people who needs facts and information. It doesn't matter what the medical situation is, I can't just accept what I'm told, I need to have an excellent understanding of WHY I need the procedure, and WHAT it entails. Your posts on both dentistry and the psychology of fear have been fascinating and extremely helpful for me. I wish I could apply what you said above to my fear of flying too, but alas, that one seems insurmountable. :cry:)

Hug and thanks to both StressDoc and Leela. I appreciated and an=m comforted by both of your kind words. I agree, Leela, that, often times the fear or not knowing how something works (gel) makes it more scary. The absolute truth is, and I realize this sounds not too swift for a grown woman but it's true, if I had known there was such a thing I would have had the tiny cavity that now is huge, infected etc filled two years ago before the rc became necessary. Anyway, my Monday has begun on a brighter note thanks to you both. :)

Mona

Back