• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm in a panic state

K

Karina

Hello
Yes I feel panic coming on just by reading... and now writing here. I don't want to hide my problem anymore so perhaps writing to others who I'm sure will understand will help.
I have what I consider a SEVERE dental phobia. It's way beyond fear or anxiety. The only dental work I've had in the past 17yrs....Is work I've done to myself. Over the years....I have lanced my numerous abscess...taken antibiotics meant for veterinary use...
extacted a few teeth....lived on oral-gel for months at a time...lost a frigtening amount of weight...and still managed to avoid admitting that this phobia was ruining my life...and...health.
I did see a dentist last summer. I was physically assaulted and 2 of my (not so healthy) front teeth were broken off. My visit was short because my lips were also split and needed to heal first. The Drs plan was to remove ALL of my teeth and fit me for upper & lower dentures. EEEEKKKKK. All he could offer was novocain. I never went back.
I find myself becoming less and less social. I don't want to be seen...not even by myself. I can't remember the last time I've owned a mirror. Well...there! I managed to write some of it down. Whew!! Now I'll need to distract myself for a bit.
Shakingly Yours Karina

Hi Karina and a big :welcome:,

it must have taken you so much courage to write this :respect:.

You'll find that there is a lot of great support here on this forum, and there are many others who are going or have gone through a similar situation who will be able to support you through this.

When you feel strong enough, have a look at the Success Stories that people have posted on this forum. There are lots of options available to you nowadays such as IV sedation (although the key of course is to find a dentist you like and trust).

Fair play to you for sharing your thoughts which I'm sure many here can really identify with :grouphug:

Hiya

Well done for joining this forum and admitting your fears, it is a great forum and hopefully you will find that visiting will become easier for you.

You must be very brave to carry out the dentistry work to yourself, you obviously have far more strength and courage then you give yourself credit for.

Have you never asked for professional counseling to help you with your phobia? When we live with an intense fear we learn to avoid it and as the years go by due to the avoidance our fears become deeper and more irrational, when we challenge those fears we usually see that the fear is worse than the situation itself.

I really hope that you find the strength to go back to the dentist so that you can start to enjoy your life and look in the mirror again :)

hi karina :welcome:
oh my god you poor thing!!! im terrified of dentists like nearly everyone on here but you are something else my darling really i could never attempt dental work on myself !! You have made an incredible first step coming on here and even if you just sit and read other peoples journeys on here you are starting on yr own journey hopefully by reading on here it will help you loads it has me!!! I havn't had any of my work done yet im terrified but i started this journey and i will finish it there comes a point when you just can't take any more it just has to stop!! Wheather its the pain or the fact that yr teeth start to rule yr life it happens mine have been getting steadily worse for 9 years but after i had anorexia last year 4 at the back broke off and then came the pain all night so much i couldn't lie down and ended up just pacing the floor tired and crying there is nothing worse. I really hope you find the strength to get some help so keep reading and posting and i will definately keep in touch with you so will many many others you'll make some friends and the best bit is we all toally totally understand too. Does anyone in yr family know about yr phobia at all? I didn't tell anyone for years then i managed to tell my mum and she is helping me just by coming with me.
i really hope you keep reading and maybe one day you will find the courage to find a dentist who really can help you cause the most important thing is finding the right dentist if you go for a chat with one you don't feel comfortable with don't go back try again and again you will find one who's right for you!!!
all the best wishes in the world
sending a hug too:hug2:

emma

Hello Karina:

Thank you coming here and sharing your story. Wow, you have been through a lot. You have made the right and courageous decision to come to this forum. This is the first step to overcoming this fear.

There is help and healing for the trauma you have endured. It takes a great deal of bravery to work on your own teeth. You must be a person of amazing fortitude and resolve.

By sharing your story you are robbing the fear of its power and breaking the cycle.

You will beat this and have the victory you desire. Take it slow and keep moving forward. Remember, the past does not equal the future. When you are ready we will be here.

Many blessings to you. :grouphug:

Back