• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Dental Button

What do you think of the dental button?

• Brilliant idea!

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Not sure/I might want to try it

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Not my thing

Votes: 16 22.2%

• Total voters
letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering what people here think of "The Dental Button". It's basically a button which you (the patient) can press to stop the handpiece (aka drill). Here is their website: [broken link removed] - please vote in the poll or leave your feedback!

(to Mike, Gordon, Zzz and Lincoln - there's a thread about it on the DAN - it could be great if you could add your thoughts there :)).

Last edited:
Ye gods no. That would just INCREASE my anxiety - thinking it might be so painful I might need an alarm button to stop 'em! Not a good idea. What's wrong with having the pre-arranged 'put your hand up' signal?

Not a good idea, I would imagine that for dentists it could become extremely frustrating :giggle:

Ye gods no. That would just INCREASE my anxiety - thinking it might be so painful I might need an alarm button to stop 'em! Not a good idea. What's wrong with having the pre-arranged 'put your hand up' signal?

To clarify - it's not actually an alarm button (in case anyone is getting the wrong idea here ;D) - rather, it's a gizmo that stops the power supply to the handpiece. I would think that the idea behind it is to put you in more direct control over proceedings than a hand signal would allow, by actually being able to operate the machinery so to speak.

Why ever not? A stop signal which always works ;D!

I'm with Poodleoo, surely a raised hand should be enough. I don't know but I would imagine it could make the procedure more difficult technically for the dentist if the patient is stopping and starting all the time.

I can imagine it may help some really nervous patients but for the majority that can manage to control the fear even temporarily it's important to have a relationship of trust with the dentist.

What we want (or think we want) isn't always the best for us in the long term.

I'm with Poodleoo, surely a raised hand should be enough. I don't know but I would imagine it could make the procedure more difficult technically for the dentist if the patient is stopping and starting all the time.

I can imagine it may help some really nervous patients but for the majority that can manage to control the fear even temporarily it's important to have a relationship of trust with the dentist.

What we want (or think we want) isn't always the best for us in the long term.

The point is - with a button or a raised hand..once it is volunteered you don't usually need to use it....the feeling of control it gives you, makes you not need so many breaks i.m.h.o. I first had a dentist offer a stop signal when I was about 13...I didn't need to use it.
The only time I had to use one because of pain during drilling, it hadn't even been offered but a raised hand worked..they stopped.

:giggle: - it's funny to think that on a dental phobia forum, the key argument against the dental button would be that it might inconvenience the dentist (or am I the only one who sees the humour in that ;D).

What if dental buttons were integrated into dental equipment at the point of manufacture and if they were the industry standard (i.e. every dentist had them)? Would the idea still seem so outrageous?

:giggle: - it's funny to think that on a dental phobia forum, the key argument against the dental button would be that it might inconvenience the dentist (or am I the only one who sees the humour in that ;D).

No you are not the only one - hence my 'who cares?'
All it shows is that many posters still see themselves as being in the dentist's power and therefore do not wish to annoy them. It is hard for someone who has had bad experiences to see themselves as an 'empowered consumer' (= dental patient), and indeed some dentists will get shirty if you are very demanding but these dentists are not ones worth staying with as a loyal recovered phobic patient. ;)

Pally makes a good point about the relationship of trust still needing to be there. It does, the button should not be used as an excuse for skipping the LA because the patient can stop the drill...heaven forbid....horrific thought. I have always found the ones offering the control and stop signals are the ones you don't need to use it with anyway.
I agree a button would be easier to use than a raised hand if you had dissociation issues or felt you were the dentist's inferior (as many posters on here do..for a while at least).

Last edited:
I don't think the idea's oturageous so much as phobia-inducing! Inconveniencing the dentist wouldn't even cross my mind, to be honest! I'd hope I could find a dentist competent enough not to hurt me in the first place, not one with gadgets to help me stop them if they did!;D

It's planting the idea that the experience is so horrible you might need to stop it, right from the get go and yet, with adequate anaesthesia, why would you need a break or need them to stop?

If the patient was a 15-year-old (that's when my phobia was at worst) me, the dentist would never even be able to start because my courage used to last about two seconds and then I would have pushed the button!

I agree with Poodleoo too.

Who cares?

Possibly the dentist? Could you imagine how annoying it would be trying to get on with the job and constantly stopping, it would be a nightmare trying to get the job done in the allocated time slot as I am sure some people who are really scared would just keep pressing the button.

I am happy to know that my dentist will stop as soon as I raise my hand, but then again I suppose it could make anxious patients feel better knowing they have more control over the situation!!

:confused:

Interesting responses. I have a question, if our posters would not mind answering it.

What aspect of the "dental button" would increase anxiety/phobia?

I am not associated with the "dental button." I am just curious abot the increase in anxiety/phobia.

Thanks in advance.

It's actually sanctioning the idea a procedure might be painful. And pain is what we're trying to avoid! Also unhealthy as a concept, I think, to say the only way to empwoer a patient is to literally give them an OFF switch. What's wrong with being empowered by choosing a good dentist, finding someone you trust and knowing you communicate well enough to put your hand up, if needed?

I would be anxious that if I pressed it whilst the dentist was in a tricky spot I could cause further problems or lengthen the procedure and I would be nervous that I would feel the need to press it to much and annoy the dentist.

I also find the responses interesting (and rather unexpected). I'm wondering - is there anyone here with a drill phobia who dislikes the idea of the dental button?

I'm not sure I would want the patient having a cut off control for my equipment. I would prefer that they just let me know, and I can certainly stop pretty quick that way rather than be in the middle of something and have my equipment cease working due to the pneumatic cut-off. That's just me, but I just prefer to be in control of things while being aware of the patient's condition.

I have one on order. They reckon it will be delivered in about 6 weeks as it has to pass certain electirical tests to be allowed in Europe. So will be able to give you all the results of my field tests soon.

Annie,

The whine may by the drill is due to the fact that it is an air powered turbine. However, there are now electric powered high speed drills that hardly make any sound. Not many dentists are aware of these in the Uk, although an italian dentist recently told me that they are very popular in his neck of the woods.
I now use these drills myself and find them a great improvement.

Also Annie, if you are able to sit in the chair and think about playing a tune by messing around with dental button then you are not a very nervous patient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Innit!

Back