• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Dental Button

What do you think of the dental button?

• Brilliant idea!

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Not sure/I might want to try it

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Not my thing

Votes: 16 22.2%

• Total voters
annie778 said:
I don't think you can really pick and choose who you offer a service you officially say you provide to. That could create a lot of bad feeling. You either offer it to all and take the risk, or don't do it at all. The most you could get away with is to not offer it to those say under 16 but children are the most likely to benefit (and also the most likely to abuse it). The truth is that someone like me would not abuse it but I would be nervous of pressing it by accident. A child on the other hand may see it as a toy. Given that most dental phobias start in childhood you have a dilemma there...

We use it with children during their cleanings and they love it, no misuse. We demonstrate how to use it before starting and then they just hold onto it. The Dental Button is the same button used in hospitals to call the nurse, a firm press, and has been used for over twenty years without a design change.
I like the button because all patients can use it at no extra charge, bringing dentistry to all people and improving their experience while at the dentist is what it is all about.

The Dental Button is the same button used in hospitals to call the nurse, a firm press, and has been used for over twenty years without a design change.

And there I was thinking that the colour-scheme was based on the the new iPod range ;D... actually, it would be fun to have different colours, to go with the interior decoration scheme of the treatment room. Turquoise always goes down well, too...

A raised hand or a mumbled " hurts" isn't even always enough I learned at the not so wonderful dental clinic.

annie778 said:
it would definitely hold more attraction if it had a big red button that lit up, particularly if it also played a loud siren...I was just thinking a non technical cheapo equivalent would be to give the patient a string they can pull that's connected to a bucket of water above the dentist's head.

:giggle:

I'm with Poodleoo, surely a raised hand should be enough. I don't know but I would imagine it could make the procedure more difficult technically for the dentist if the patient is stopping and starting all the time.

I can imagine it may help some really nervous patients but for the majority that can manage to control the fear even temporarily it's important to have a relationship of trust with the dentist.

What we want (or think we want) isn't always the best for us in the long term.

The only difference between raising your hand and pressing the button is that the button is safer. When you raise your hand, you are stopping the dentist (at least we hope the dentist stops), and that means you are moving and trying to get their attention. With the button, it is immediate and it is accomplished with the movement of a thumb. What patients don't realize is that doctors are always torn between their work and making sure the patient is doing allright. We are always looking for signs of tension, muscle bracing, leg movements, hand clenching, hand raising, etc...the button really allows us to focus on our work and we trust if you are having a problem you can stop the procedure and have it addressed, just like raising your hand except without all the movement.:thumbsup:

It's actually sanctioning the idea a procedure might be painful. And pain is what we're trying to avoid! Also unhealthy as a concept, I think, to say the only way to empwoer a patient is to literally give them an OFF switch. What's wrong with being empowered by choosing a good dentist, finding someone you trust and knowing you communicate well enough to put your hand up, if needed?

Using your logic, you would never need to raise your hand. The fact that you even bring up the possiblity means there could be a chance that you would need to stop the procedure. As a doctor, I would certainly rather have the patient stop the procedure with the touch of a button rather than raising their hand. When raising your hand while laying back, it requires your body to move as well, now that's dangerous. It also means you have to get the assistants or doctors attention. You might be surprised to know that doctors are always torn between their work and looking for signals of tension in their patients. The button allows doctors to focus on their work.:thumbsup:

First patient of the day, a crown on an upper left back tooth. This patient ALWAYS uses nitrous, but do to worries about the economy decided to not use it today because of the cost. I explained the dental button to him -- if at any time you need to stop the procedure, just press the button. He is worried about pain and considers himself a "pansy" when it comes to dentistry. He said, "I will pressing that button all the time, you won't get anything done." After drilling I asked him why didn't you press the button. He said, "I forgot all about everything. I can't believe nothing hurt. I was relaxed and felt...reassured that I could stop if I needed."
His anxiety before treatment was 10 on a scale of 10. With the button he reported an anxiety of 0. He also said at future appointments he prefers to use The Dental Button because it is free.:jump:

I think the idea is to offer an external locus of control... this usually relieves ppl's anxiety.. however, the idea should be to warn the dentist, not stop power to the drill. I have a deal that when I moan or lift my finger, the dentist stops. And he does, so I trust him. That's enough and doesn't interfere with his job too much...

Hi have been reading this thread over the past few days and have to admit my first instinct was to be filled with horror about the thought of this invention. Thoughts of annoying the dentist, putting him off his work and simply not wanting that level of control over a dental tool were overwhelming me but having though about it A LOT recently I have to say I am coming round to the idea.
A bit part of my phobia is lack of control in the chair and I have had one bad experience in the past few years with a dentist not stopping even though I was waving my hand and eventually screaming at him. Now I have found a much better dentist who is helping me with my phobia I have never actually put up my hand to ask him to stop. Most of the time It's because I don;t need to :) but on a few (very few) occassions I have really wanted to but have been rigid in the chair, terrified to put up my hand in case I make the dentist angry or he doesn't stop - this is obviously based on my past experiences.
Given what I have just described, the dental button may not be of any use to me. If it is offered at my dental practice I may well sit holding it not daring to press it even if I needed to. However, having considered it all rationally. I know my dentist will not be angry with me if I ask him to stop (either by hand signal or button) and at least I can be sure that the process will stop, which takes away a significant portion of my anxiety. So yes, I have to say - after rambling on - that I would certainly be interested in trying it if it were to be offered to me and would at least defer judgement until after I had tried it out. For me, being able to put complete trust in a dentist is a big issue which I have (almost!) overcome and being given the dental button seems to me like the dentist would be giving a bit of trust back to me, which can only be a good thing. :yay:

I think the idea is to offer an external locus of control... this usually relieves ppl's anxiety.. however, the idea should be to warn the dentist, not stop power to the drill. I have a deal that when I moan or lift my finger, the dentist stops. And he does, so I trust him. That's enough and doesn't interfere with his job too much...

When you lift your finger, and someone notices, that's disturbing the dentist. When you mumble...again, disturbs the dentist. You are effectively stopping the procedure.

I think that's a really dangerous thing to say, because it could prevent people from using stop signals. As gettingthere correctly pointed out, a lot of people with dental phobias already lack the confidence to use stop signals for fear of annoying their dentist (indeed, it is suggested that the dentist take the time to explicitly practice the use of stop signals with the patient, and to reassure their patient that it's ok to do so).

Also, most dentists that I've spoken to don't perceive a patient lifting their hand as a "disturbance" or hassle.

While I would agree that the Dental Button may indeed be easier on the operator, I think there is a great danger in saying that lifting one's finger or mumbling would disturb the dentist, especially considering the nature of this forum. I think it's really important to empower people to speak up for themselves (whether this be in conversation with the dentist, when using stop signals, or when using the Dental Button) - bearing in mind that lack of control is one of the most common contributing factors to dental fears.

Whilst the dental button may well be easier on the operator because you kinda throw the ball more in the patient's court to communicate discomfort, I still think all patients would find the dental button easier to activate than a stop signal, simply because it gives you direct power to stop the drill or the ultrasonic scaler which is causing you discomfort/pain at that particular instant..in other words you'd be daft not to use it if you are in pain after all it is not supposed to be painful..you need more LA. It would also make enduring mild discomfort (not sure whether to say anything) easier because you would know you could halt it at will, whether you choose to do so or not.
I also think needle phobics (not me) with dentists with poor LA injection technique maybe weigh up do I want another injection or shall I just put up with this (mildish) pain..another reason why finding comfortable techniques for all aspects removes these dilemmas.

The dental button still needs an empathetic operator...since what happens when you do stop things?
If the dentist states clearly at the beginning of a procedure that nothing is supposed to hurt so please do let me know if you are not numb enough (stop signal/dental button) or if you need a break....that sets a scene of trust; and in my case..I have never needed to use the stop signal where offered like that. I have relaxed because having been told that nothing is supposed to hurt , I feel confident if I did stop them because of pain, sth would be done about it.

My only real concern with the dental button is operators' in those cultures where LA tends to be optional/eschewed for small fillings using it to give patient control in the absence of anaesthesia...not of concern in UK though.

I'm sure DrMike09's comment was simply to demonstrate that with an ethical dentist any communication of discomfort, disturbs just as much if not more than with the dental button, it wasn't meant to imply patients should not stop procedures.

Last edited:
I'm sure Mike's comment was simply to demonstrate that with an ethical dentist any communication of discomfort, disturbs just as much if not more than with the dental button, it wasn't meant to imply patients should not stop procedures.

I know, I know ;D - but the comment could be easily misinterpreted by someone with dental fears to mean that giving a stop signal is dangerous :). Just wanted to dispel that myth.

I think that's a really dangerous thing to say, because it could prevent people from using stop signals. As gettingthere correctly pointed out, a lot of people with dental phobias already lack the confidence to use stop signals for fear of annoying their dentist (indeed, it is suggested that the dentist take the time to explicitly practice the use of stop signals with the patient, and to reassure their patient that it's ok to do so).

Also, most dentists that I've spoken to don't perceive a patient lifting their hand as a "disturbance" or hassle.

While I would agree that the Dental Button may indeed be easier on the operator, I think there is a great danger in saying that lifting one's finger or mumbling would disturb the dentist, especially considering the nature of this forum. I think it's really important to empower people to speak up for themselves (whether this be in conversation with the dentist, when using stop signals, or when using the Dental Button) - bearing in mind that lack of control is one of the most common contributing factors to dental fears.

Sorry, was using the postings language that I was responding to. The fact that people are discussing a stop signal signifies that there could be pain. The discussion about stopping the dentist as disturbing the doctor or interfering, again words used in the posting, are not anything different than using The Dental Button. the button is just safer and immediate. What this device is really doing -- changing the way millions of people around the world experience dental treatment, bring access to care for the people who cannot afford the expensive sedation and general anesthesia and improving the productivity of the dentist.
Thank you for having me clarify my earlier statement. I am just trying to use the language or word usage in the post I was responding to. Sorry for any confusion and of course, stopping te procedure is never disturbing the doctor, the patient's comfort is always my utmost concern.:respect:

First patient of the day, a crown on an upper left back tooth. This patient ALWAYS uses nitrous, but do to worries about the economy decided to not use it today because of the cost. I explained the dental button to him -- if at any time you need to stop the procedure, just press the button. He is worried about pain and considers himself a "pansy" when it comes to dentistry. He said, "I will pressing that button all the time, you won't get anything done." After drilling I asked him why didn't you press the button. He said, "I forgot all about everything. I can't believe nothing hurt. I was relaxed and felt...reassured that I could stop if I needed."
His anxiety before treatment was 10 on a scale of 10. With the button he reported an anxiety of 0. He also said at future appointments he prefers to use The Dental Button because it is free.:jump:
Sounds like an excellent result to me..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted not sure. I can appreciate how this device would enable me to stop the drilling if it became painful, but have reservations about whether stopping the drill mid treatment may harm my tooth. I feel it is better to use an agreed hand signal with the dentist, so they can safely stop / remove the drill from my mouth. I always listen to a cd walkman / mp3 player with a relaxation cd when the dentist is drilling my teeth I have found this drowns out the noise and helps me relax.

In case anyone else mixed them up like me - DrMike and DrMike09 are different people :)

I can appreciate how this device would enable me to stop the drilling if it became painful, but have reservations about whether stopping the drill mid treatment may harm my tooth.

I asked Gordon about this and he can't think of any circumstances where stopping it would be harmful :). The only instance he could come up with would be that it might mess up a crown prep if the handpiece was stopped at exactly the wrong point. But in that case, you would have long noticed if you weren't properly numb and besides, your dentist could let you know that a tricky piece of work was coming up.

I asked Gordon about this and he can't think of any circumstances where stopping it would be harmful :). The only instance he could come up with would be that it might mess up a crown prep if the handpiece was stopped at exactly the wrong point.

Many dentists first reaction is the same, what if they stop it at a critical moment. My response usually is, "are you saying that if you were at a critical moment and the patient raised their hand you wouldn't stop?"
My next questions to them is, "what critical moments are you talking about?" I haven't found a dentist that can come up with any that fall under our indications for use with the product.
the interesting thing here, is we are dealing with "fear" and "loss of total control" on the part of the dentist ! how funny is that.:yay:

the interesting thing here, is we are dealing with "fear" and "loss of total control" on the part of the dentist ! how funny is that.:yay:

;D

Personally, I feel it's even more fundamental than that and ultimately it's about power relations.

I can see the point that some have made that it would be even better if perfect anaesthesia could be guaranteed for 100% of patients 100% of the time at the first attempt, but in my opinion it doesn't always work like that in real life and I, for one, think it would be really cool if the Dental Button became a standard piece of equipment :thumbsup:.

Back