Thread: Bone fragments and sharp protrusion after extractions

Question Bone fragments and sharp protrusion after extractions

I had four teeth extracted three weeks ago under IV sedation, however I've noticed that at one of the extraction sites I now have two slightly protruding lumps, plus if I run my finger around my gum I can feel something sharp protruding outwards towards my cheek. There's no pain or discomfort, but I'm worried that there may be remnants of the tooth left in, though I have been told by a friend that this does sometimes happen and that the body will naturally force the remains out, advice much appreciated.

Default Re: Tooth remnants?

Good Morning:

That sounds like small bit of bone coming out. This is quite common and they work themselves out in a week or two. They are left over from the extraction. Usually nothing to worry about unless they bother you or cause any problems with eating or chewing, which should not be the case

Blessings .

It sounds like bone spicules as Stress Doc said. Mike gave a good description:

Bone slithers are fairly common following a tooth removal, and certainly more common in cases of multiple tooth removal. They are caused by tiny fragments of the very thin bone which was between the roots of the teeth. Dentists will have a quick check to see if there is any obvious bone debris which can be carefully removed but obviously as soon as the tooth is removed the socket bleeds in order that the healing process can begin- making it quite hard to spot these small fragments. Also it is important to avoid too much 'investigation' (with a probe or tweezers for eg) of a fresh socket, especially if it is a back tooth which may be near the maxillary sinus.

The slivers often work themselves out, (in much the same way as little splinters often work themselves out). Sometimes however the dentist need to give them a helping hand if they are still there and bothering you after a week or so (if they are quite small- the dentist would just lift them out with tweezers possibly after a little numbness is placed)

The sharp protrusion sounds similar to a recent post which Gordon answered:

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/for...ad.php?p=52378

"Sometimes the bony socket around the extraction area is quite sharp, when you press down the gum onto it, it's likely to dig in a bit and cause pain. Usually the bone remodels itself in time and the feelings subside."

I hope this helps
      Last edited by letsconnect; 2nd June 2009 at 14:00.
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

Thanks for the info, makes me feel more at ease