• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ok so ive got an appointment!

I

Ice-princess

Scared of Dentist - Advice please

Hi, ive just found this website while doing some research into how to overcome dental phobia, I havent been to the dentist in about 6-7 years because i have a terrible phobia, i really want to go to the dentist and get my teeth sorted out, im terrified i have something wrong and the dentist will tell me i have to have all my teeth removed,Im also ashamed to let someone see the condition i have let my teeth get in to, i have at least 4 teeth that need fillings and my wisdom teeth are really sore as i dont think there is ebough room for them to grow, this problem is making me really upset and im starting to become more self concious about my smile does anyone have any help or advice for me- i dont know what do :(

Last edited:
Re: Scared of Dentist - Advice please

Hi and :welcome: here!

Here's an article about the feelings of shame: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/embarrassment/ It's a very good article. I also think it's incredibly unlikely that you would have to have all your teeth out at that age. I don't remember ever reading here of that happening to anyone under thirty, and even then it's very very rare. People who haven't been to the dentist in decades can in many cases keep some teeth too, so your case isn't hopeless! One poster in about my age (and I'm 19) wrote here and was sure she will lose all her teeth. But in fact, all she needed was a cleaning!

Congratulations for taking the first step and writing here! Next, you could read other articles in the Common Fears section and try to figure out what exactly you are afraid of and what might help you. You should also check the Dentistfinder on this forum, to see if there are any recommended dentists in your area. Usually there are. Good luck!

Hi Iceprincess:

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I can understand your fear and concerns. I will do my best to answer them.

1. I seriously doubt your dental condition is as bad as you think. Anxiety tends to cause us to dwell on the worst possible outcome.

2. If you were to have any problems, like gum disease, it is very easy to fix. A good cleaning and maybe a course of antibiotics and it is fixed. Gum problems are common and easily fixed without removing your teeth.

3. Dentures at your age would be so remote of a possibility, don't worry about it.

4. Fillings, if needed are quick and easy.

Dentistry has made so many advances it is amazing. It can be a pleasant experience. The fear magnifies problems and makes everything seem much worse than it is.

Avoiding the problem makes the fear stronger. Confronting it robs it of power.

What do you believe is the cause of your dental anxiety? Was there a specific event that is the source of the fear?

What can you do? Get some support from parents, friends and relatives. They can help you with your fear. Talk about your concerns with them.

Working with a team of people makes it easier than trying to tough it out on your own. Dental fear is very common and nothing to be ashamed of.

Sit down with your parents and form a plan of action. Break it down in to easy to do actions. When you do select a dentist your first appointment is a consultation so you can meet the dentist and talk about options. This gives you the opportunity to see if the dentist is a person you are comfortable with. You have a say and choices in this matter.

I am confident your smile can be restored easily and you can overcome your fear. You are going to be fine.

Thanks for joining us. :)

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get to the dentist. Once you get treatment started I think it will take a huge burden off you and you can begin to relax and gain some confidence.

A couple of things to think about is bringing a parent or friend you trust, maybe talking with your Dentist (when you find one you like) about a sedative if you feel you need one to get work done.

I always ask on the phone before I ever get anywhere near the office if the Dentist is good with phobic patients and I pay close attention to the answers I get.

Don't forget if you go to one Dentist and they aren't right for you, you are free to find a different one. You need one that you feel confident with and who treats you well. They are out there.

Try not to feel bad abbut letting the Dentist see your teeth, they are used to teeth of all shapes, conditions.

Chances are your teeth aren't as bad as you think they might be and chances are even bigger, in this day and age everything can be repaired and you can get that confident smile back.
I've read a lot of stories from people who were sure their teeth would get a horrible report but they were found to be not too bad after all with just a couple minor issues.

I understand the phobia issues belive me! I think though that with some help you can get through it and feel so much better!

Hi guys thank you so much for your replies, they made me feel a little better! ive been looking on here for dentists who have helped phobic patients and i think ive found one who i would like to give a try, just have to pluck up the courage to call them! I'm trying to tell my self that there is a possiblity that i wont have to have all my teeth removed but, it still scares me i dont know what i would do if i had to :(
Thanks again guys :)

Last edited:

Hello Iceprincess:

Great job in moving forward. You are making excellent progress. :jump:

Don't dwell or entertain the idea of having all your teeth removed. That is needless worry and will just upset you. I know you are going to do great and you will be amazed at how well this will go for you.

If you want some relaxation techniques, PM me. I will send you the tools I give my patients.

Have a great day.:)

I read somewhere (maybe this site??) that even if you think your teeth are the worst the dentist has seen, they have probably seen a case worse than you. Dentists are supposed to help you and fix your problems and they obviously can fix what's wrong unless you see them. It's very common for people to go years without seeing a dentist for a variety of reasons.

It's soooo important to go to a dentist that you trust and there is nothing wrong with going for a consultation and deciding to go with someone else instead if something rubs you the wrong way about the person. I like the idea of seeing if you want meet the dentist in a more neutral location like their office- before you are actually in the operatory.

Also it's probably good to be upfront with the dentist and tell them you're concerns, that you are anxious etc. I'd bet a lot of dentists would take more measures to provide a good experience if they knew the patient was fearful. Not everyone is good at detecting if someone is scared, worried, etc.

Best of luck!

Hi.

I am 21 and didn't go for 7 years. I was convinced that I needed practically every tooth filled. I had an x ray and was told that I needed 3 fillings. I went back today and they dealt with them with fissure sealants, as they weren't as bad as expected.

Please remember you are not alone. If you can't talk to a family member if you feel they will judge you talk to a friend. The only person at first I could confide in was my husband, in time I then confided in a colleague. If you are anxious of cost you should be able to get all of your treatment on the NHS for free as you under under 18 (if you are still in full time education).

I hope what I have said helps.

I'm going to chime in here and agree with mmm09. It is really, really important to have a dentist you feel comfortable with. I met with the dentist I am currently working with just to chat before I would even sit in the chair. I do not trust dentists--period. And I believe doing it this way made huge difference for me.

Well done for getting so far so quickly.

Last edited:

Well since then ive had another dentist recommended to me, so im still making my desicion, ill let you know when ive managed to make an appointment! :(

Last edited:

Oasis is a private chain all over the UK. Has a particular dentist at the one near you been suggested or just the practice in general?
Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Brit, the other dentist does come highly recommended (and having exchanged e-mails with them in the past, I have no doubt that they are an excellent choice).

OK so ive made an apointment!?!?!

When i was younger i had a very unpleasent experience at the dentist, at first i still went because i was so young and couldnt say myself that i didnt want to go! so my teeth were OK for a while but on one visit the dentist told me i needed a filling and i didnt go back! by this time i was old enough to refuse to go!

Anyway a couple of years later i went to a new dental clinic and i had an x-ray of my mouth and was told i needed 2 fillings one (the one i had ignored for so long) the dentist said she was not sure anything could be done with it because it was that bad.

I have never been back to the dentist.

its now been 6-7 years since ive been to a dentist and have realised that if i dont try and get my phobia under control now i never will so. My teeth have started to get sensitive and its uncomfortable to eat certain foods, im also becoming more self concious when i smile.

So ive been researching dentists and have finally decided. I made an appointment today.

I am abserloulty terrified, im so scared ive let my teeth get so bad that im going to be told they all need removing, this frightens me so much :(

So now its just the wait i hope so much that my teeth can be saved :(

Anyone have any advice for me?!

Last edited:
Re: OK so ive made an apointment!?!?!

There's no actual 'dental question' in this as such, so I've moved this to Support where I see it is already duplicated so I'll delete one. Please don't double post.
It's a shame you have to wait so long but if your teeth are firm, I'm sure you are worrying unduly. Most things are likely to be easily fixable. :grouphug:

Last edited:
A week today

Hi guys, thought i'd start a new post cause im stressing out majorly I have my first dental appointment in 6 years 1 week today :scared:. Apparently my dentist is really nice but im still really embarrased about letting them see my awful teeth!! :( Im super stressed out right now, i dont know what ill be like next week or if ill even make it through the door! :hidesbehindsofa: aaaaaaaaa, any advice/ positive first experinces back to the dentist would be much appriciated!!

Thanks, Ice-princess :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A week today

Don't be ashamed or embarassed about your teeth, the chances are your dentist has seen far worse. Remember that any dentist should not judge you, lecture or berate you about your dental health and neither should thier assistant.

You don't say why you are going back after 6 years (people have kept away for far longer!), has something happened to your teeth? Are you in pain? Or do you feel its just time to begin regular checkups? The trick here is to maintain a degree of control over your treatment. Suggest to your dentist that you would really like the first appointment to be just a consulatation and a chat to discuss any treatment and any help they can offer to overcome your fears. If you are really anxious, talk about having some form of sedation before you start. The next thing is to start with getting all the easy stuff done first. Build your confidence with gentle easy steps and slowly become acclimatised to dental treatment. Its not easy to begin with, but it does get easier with time. Remember that dentists are there for your welfare, well-being and comfort. They are not there to hurt you or judge you in any way. Stick at it and you will be fine and you will find that the hardest part about dental treatment is actually turning up.

I hear you about the nerves. I go Thursday for the hundredth time since March and am nervous. Look at it this way..it's only been 6 years since you went...I hadn't been to the dentist in 12 years. It can feel overwhelming as you do not know what to expect but listen to everyone else on here and read their stories as they can help comfort you...

Hi Graham, thanks for that reply, im going to the dentist now just because i really want to get my teeth sorted out and i just think if I dont do it soon, im never going to do it! On one side of my mouth there is a tooth that has decayed so bad that i cant eat on that side anymore, im not in any pain (touch wood) at the moment but if i dont do anytihng now i will be soon.

As people who have read my previous posts know im abserloutly terrified that im going to have to have all my teeth out, ive managed to convince myself i have something terrible wrong and ive left it too late for them to be saved.

A dream about the dentist I had last night which i wont go into now cause ill sound crazy! lol isnt helping to calm my nerves either.

I just want to be able to have a nice smile again!

This time next week ill be updating everyone on how my first appointment went cant wait till then!!

Ice-princess :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Thanks Oliviacs, i know i probs sound stupid worrying about a check up but i cant help it lol! just cant wait 4 it all to be over!

Ice-princess:thumbsup:

Back