Thread: 'ulcer' on gum of root treated tooth...

Default 'ulcer' on gum of root treated tooth...

this morning i found an 'ulcer' (for want of a better, more technical word) on the gum right next to my re-root-treated tooth (lower left second molar, the 'ulcer' is where the wisdom tooth would be if i had one...).
      it's very small, like a small spot, and it doesn't hurt when i touch it. it has a little white head and is raised.
      i happened to be going to the dentist anyway today to have models of my teeth made (which went ok) and i asked him what it was. he said it was nothing, but i've been feeling some sensation in that tooth, not exactly pain but something, and i'm really worried that the 'ulcer' could indicate that the root treatment hasn't worked.
      i think my dentist said it was nothing today because he knows how stressed i've been about my teeth lately and he'd hate to worry me more!
      so could this very mild 'pain' plus 'ulcer' suggest that the root treatment is failing? i had it done a couple of months ago now and still haven't had the onlay/crown placed...
      if not, what is the 'ulcer' and why am i experiencing slight pain????
      thanks for all your help

Default Re: 'ulcer' on gum of root treated tooth...

I've waited two months because I had to change dentists (my previous NHS dentist actually *caused* my need for a root canal and then a re-root canal treatment - and now he's paying for my private treatment but it's me that's left with the damage in my mouth...).
      It took me a while to find a dentist I was comfortable with and then he's very booked up so I can't get everything done quickly (he's making models of my teeth to make sure the bite's ok and so on).
      I know I shouldn't wait so long and I really hope my tooth doesn't fracture before the final restoration's placed - that would be another piece of bad luck to top off the extremely bad luck (or would that be bad dentistry...) that I've already had with this tooth

The most likely thing is a bit of trauma to the gum, causing the irritation. A failing root canal would normally cause a swelling on the gum below the tooth, in line with where the end of the root would be. You'd also get a fair bit of pain with it.

The most likely thing is a bit of trauma to the gum, causing the irritation. A failing root canal would normally cause a swelling on the gum below the tooth, in line with where the end of the root would be. You'd also get a fair bit of pain with it.