• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

'ulcer' on gum of root treated tooth...

O

olanda

this morning i found an 'ulcer' (for want of a better, more technical word) on the gum right next to my re-root-treated tooth (lower left second molar, the 'ulcer' is where the wisdom tooth would be if i had one...).
it's very small, like a small spot, and it doesn't hurt when i touch it. it has a little white head and is raised.
i happened to be going to the dentist anyway today to have models of my teeth made (which went ok) and i asked him what it was. he said it was nothing, but i've been feeling some sensation in that tooth, not exactly pain but something, and i'm really worried that the 'ulcer' could indicate that the root treatment hasn't worked.
i think my dentist said it was nothing today because he knows how stressed i've been about my teeth lately and he'd hate to worry me more!
so could this very mild 'pain' plus 'ulcer' suggest that the root treatment is failing? i had it done a couple of months ago now and still haven't had the onlay/crown placed...
if not, what is the 'ulcer' and why am i experiencing slight pain????
thanks for all your help :)

The most likely thing is a bit of trauma to the gum, causing the irritation. A failing root canal would normally cause a swelling on the gum below the tooth, in line with where the end of the root would be. You'd also get a fair bit of pain with it.

Back