• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Stocktaking

O

ohnobruno

It has been seven or eight years since I have been to the dentist, but after a few days of reading this website I finally made an appointment, and I am scheduled to go on May 15th. I would like to thank everyone who has written their story on this forum for giving me the courage to make the appointment, I know I never would have without you.

But I am still scared out of my wits to go. I had various personal problems the last few years and oral health was not at the top of my to do list. But then I quit drinking, smoking, and began exercising and eating healthy. I started feeling better but I could never get my teeth out of my mind and now I know the next step is to finally go see the dentist. I am so afraid of what the results will be, as if this will be the final judgment on the last few years of my life.

As for the actual state of my teeth? Well, nothing hurts and as far as I can tell, nothing is broken. They seem straight and all in place but they're yellow and stained - of course, years and smoking and coffee will do that. I can see some black along the gum line of a few molars, and I am pretty sure these are cavities, and to be honest, the black has been there for a long time. The gums are more problematic. They bleed sometimes and I can see some recession on my lower front teeth. I'm sure I have some stage of periodontal disease. Would anyone mind if I put up a few pictures so I could elicit a few opinions? The wait for the appointment is killing me and I would like to hear someones opinion.

I am twenty-nine years old and feel like it is only now that I am starting to gain control of my life. I feel so far behind everyone else I know. I am so afraid that my years of dental neglect will be an unconquerable hurdle. I find it funny that I have less of a problem telling my friends and family (who are incredibly supportive) about my alcoholism and depression , but my concerns about my teeth, which have kept me up long nights these last few months, are something I don't know if I will ever bring up. At least not until after that first appointment.

Congrats on making your appt. I know what its like to feel terrified to go though. Usually I feel good once its over and I've done it. Although that doesn't make me less terrified for the next visit. The first step is making the appt and you were able to do that. Now just try and focus on telling yourself you can do it. Also, it might help to tell yourself that nothing will be done on your first visit (except x-rays & a look in the mouth). The should help you get through this appt. Good luck!

As far as pics. I would think that the admins & mods. need to answer that question.

Hi and :welcome:,

it's great to hear that you've found the courage to make an appointment :respect:!! It sounds as if once you start tackling this issue, it will be a huge weight off your shoulders :). Just wanted to comment on some of your points:

The gums are more problematic. They bleed sometimes and I can see some recession on my lower front teeth. I'm sure I have some stage of periodontal disease. Would anyone mind if I put up a few pictures so I could elicit a few opinions? The wait for the appointment is killing me and I would like to hear someones opinion.
Please feel free to post pictures (just make sure you can't be identified from them, so close-ups would be best). The best place to post them would be in the Your Dentistry Questions Answered section, since you can get actual dentists' opinions there. You can also post them as attachments (when writing a post, scroll down a bit to "Manage Attachments" - this will allow you to upload jpg files etc.).

I feel so far behind everyone else I know. I am so afraid that my years of dental neglect will be an unconquerable hurdle.
If you have lived through years of depression and alcoholism and came out a stronger person at the end of it, I'd wager a bet that you've accumulated at least as much, if not more, life experience than other people your age. If you have done that, then you can do anything :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, they meant a lot. I know this is something I have to do for myself, and although my instincts tell me to put my head in the sand, I know from experience that doesn't work. I am looking forward to simply knowing where I stand. Maybe things will be better than I expect, maybe worse. But no matter what, I just need to know.

Hi onnobruno:

Well done! Making the appointment is the first step to changing your dental health. I agree with letsconnect. The black sounds like staining or tartar. If that is the case it is easy to fix.

You have made a wise decision, as avoiding the issue give the fear more power and control.

You have overcome some of the most difficult challenges anyone can face. This tells me you are a person of strength, character and resolve. Applying the strength and courage you have will enable you to sail through this dental situation. You have a string of success to build on.

Dentistry has made incredible advances and things can be done that were never thought possible. There are also many options to make the experience much more comfortable.

Your first visit will be a consultation to evaluate your dental health and look at options. This is an excellent time for you to see if you are comfortable with the dentist and if you can work with them. This is a team effort. You are a part of the process and have control. During this appointment you can ask questions and discuss your concerns.

You can beat the dental fear by using the same courage that empowered you to overcome your other life challenges.

You are going to do great.

Blessings :)

hi :welcome:
I just wanted to say well done on taking the first steps they are always the hardest part. I had anorexia and depression last year and am still recovering needless to say my dental health like yrs got pushed to the back of the line but now im gradually clawing my way there too its a long job but I think it will help my confidence and I really need that. I think getting yr teeth sorted out will help you too I noticed a lot of my anxiety was beginning to centre around my teeth and I just didnt want to live like that anymore im only 25 and should be able to smile with confidence!!!
I really hope all goes well
Let us know how it goes the first appointment is one of the hardest
best wishes
emma

Wishing you all the best for your appointment today :grouphug:!!

Thanks letsconnect on the message this morning. I got it as I was pacing back and forth in anticipation this morning (yes, I pace while on the computer), and it meant a lot.

And the appointment? I went great. If I could have written the script of how I wanted the appointment to go it wouldn't have been better. Everyone was incredibly decent and understanding. The dentist told me that I came at the perfect time, that a couple more years and the situation would have greatly deteriorated. As I stand now, I have several cavities (he read a long list of numbers and I was a little dazed so I'm not sure of the exact number) and need some gum work. And thats it. He can do both so I don't need to see a periodontist. I expected both of these problems and prayed that was all it was going to be. And it was. Well, he said he was a little unsure of my back two upper molars, but didn't seem overly concerned about them. He said for the amount of time I had been away, things looked pretty good and that now it was time to play catch up. Everything sounded incredibly doable and covered by my insurance. I set up two appointments for June 2 and June 9, when they will do the scaling, and then I'm done until my six month appointment.

A six month appointment? I was still a teenager the last time I had one of those.

Given my pessimism, I am honestly shocked at how well things went. What am I supposed to worry about now?

Thank you so much to everyone on this board and everyone who has commented. In a month I'll be back at square one and everyone who writes on this board is to thank. I've read so many stories of people confronting their fears, and they all gave me the strength to do what I did today. I can only hope things go as well for you.

Hi again
Well done on being so brave i bet yr glad you went now because at least you know whats going on. Fear of the appointment is always worse than the appointment and I do it everytime then when I come out its like actually that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!!!
emma

Great job on going to your apppointment! Keep us posted on your progress..

I agree that the first step is the hardest and you did that with flying colors. :)

Mona

Sounds like it went perfectly! Is it possible that the long list of numbers weren't actually cavities? I'm just wondering since you only have the two scaling appointments and then you get to wait for a 6 month visit. Maybe they were just charting the position of each tooth, periodontal pockets and any fillings you have. Or perhaps they were teeth "to watch" for the future. Either way, sounds like a great appointment. congrats!

Last edited:
Congratulations :yay: - I hope you got a chance to celebrate :cheers::party:!!

Your new dentist sounds very understanding and eager to help - that is great!

Well done you :respect:

Back