• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

top front tooth - (post/crown Temp) has gap and ridge and...

J

jtOhio

Hi. My first post. I've really enjoyed reading all the helpful posts here lately.

I just returned from my first of 3 appointments for a post-crown on my top very front tooth. I have a few concerns that I did not mention to the dentist after he finished.

I notice that the temp he cemented on (I have to wear for 5 weeks because they are booked up) has the same crack in it that my original had, but then is filled in with a slightly different color then the rest of the temp. I assume this is because it is from the mold of my original tooth.

I also have a very noticeable gap in between my two front teeth, and I never had a gap. It really is bugging me. Should I worry about the crown looking the same, should I say something about not having a gap before, when I go to get my crown or is this normal? I'm sure he knows I didn't have a gap right?

There is also a ridge of white cement, I assume that's what it is, that is along the gum line and was not smoothed down, almost as if he intentionally left it like that, maybe to push my gum up so it will be easier to place the permanent? I dont know, just a guess, but it doesnt look good at all.

I guess I can live with this until my permanent is placed but i am now worried that my permanent will have the same gap.

He's done a few composite fillings that I'm happy with so far but
this is worrying me since I came home. Still a little sore.

Thanks,

PS, he recommended a Captek crown and I am actually having the tooth right next to it done also, when this one is all done. Both of my rabbit teeth.

I am not a dentist but I have had captek crowns & Ive had temps etc.

I am interested as to why he recommended a captek crown. Not many dentists use them these days. When I asked for my old capteks to be replaced with the same I was talked out of it. The technician said that they had stopped doing captek because they cracked under pressure or something. I actually really liked the capteks but most dentists arent that keen on them. They are quite an old model now.

As to your other questions, your temp will indeed be based on your original tooth. The gap can be fixed. Make sure you let your dentist know you don't want a gap and ask if you can try the new crown in with temp cement to see if you are happy with the appearance. Or at least ask if the dentist can hold it in place so you can view before it's cemented. If youre not happy with anything say so before it's cemented and ask them to change it. You are paying for it and will have to live with it so put your foot down.

Pity you have to wait five weeks. What a pain.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Annie.

They are a general practice which is my only option at this time. I have care source/Medicaid which pays for basic "Porcelain fused to metal" crowns, only if you are approved, which I was. He said they look very natural. I asked about possible dark lines from the metal showing through and he said it is definitely worth it if I wanted to upgrade to the CAPTEK. He gave me a brochure and said the difference would be around $500 per tooth, with lab fees. He said they charge about $950 per basic PFM, which the Medicaid covers. So I guess they must charge about $1500 or so, per CAPTEK crown.

To be honest I don't think I'm even going to be able to afford upgrading to the CAPTEK so I think I'll be sticking with the basic PFM and I'll just hope for the best.
Since nothing is coming out of my pocket, unless you consider the 20+ years I've been paying taxes :) I don't feel I have much ground to stand on if I'm not happy with the results.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Back